• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brian Lara not fully fit-BBC

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Lara troubled by injury (BBC -online 9/10/02)

West Indies batting star Brian Lara has admitted he is still not fully fit after dislocating an elbow last December.
He suffered the injury in a collision with Sri Lanka's Marvan Atapattu during a one-day international and is still feeling the effects, both physically and mentally.

"I am not 100 per cent. It had a lot of psychological effect on me.

"I am unable to try things out and I don't feel comfortable," he said.

Lara returned in home series against India and New Zealand earlier this year, but was well below his best, making 351 runs in seven matches with a highest score of only 73.

It was in marked contrast to his form before suffering the injury when he made 178, 221 and 130 in successive Tests against Sri Lanka.

"This is the worst injury I ever had in my life. I now see why sportsmen go through a lean period for so long after such injuries," he added.

Lara still holds the records for the highest scores in Test and first-class cricket, both set in 1994.

He made 375 against England in a Test match in Antigua and later that year scored 501 for Warwickshire against Durham.

West Indies are currently back in Sri Lanka for the ICC Champions Trophy, where they will face South Africa and Kenya in their first round group.

Next month they head off to India, where they will play three Tests and seven one-day internationals.

Lara believes a bright future lies ahead with several talented youngsters in the squad.

"I have been part of the decline. I was there when we were on top. There is no one person to lay the blame on. We are all working together now.

"We are not going to be as invincible as we were but we are going to be a force to reckon with again."

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Please don't cut and paste articles from other sites (even if they are interesting like this one is). They (the other sites) could come pounding on us (CricketWeb) like a ton of bricks.

By all means post a link, express opinions based upon the content and the like, but don't lift.

They don't like it.

If one of my articles from CricketWeb suddenly appeared on Ananova or somewhere, I would go spare if someone hadn't sought permission.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not sensitive - it's illegal(ish).8D

Regarding the article itself, it looked to me when India were playing the West Indies that Lara's backlift was not as high as I remember it and that it had gone back a little towards second slip again as opposed to gun-barrel straight.