• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

greatest fast bowling pair

nehrafan

Banned
Shoaib said:
IMO,these r the five greatest bowling pairs of all time

1.Wasim & Waqar
2.Imran &Wasim
3.Fazal & Khan
4.Imran & Sarfaraz
And
5.Wasim & Shoaib
Considering your hero Rana Naveed is on verge on breaking Bradman's ave of 99.9 (in bowling) surely that noble fellow deserves a mention! Don't you think so??

tooextracool

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
When did Pollock's pace disappear? I remember knowing he was deadly quick, but then i didn't watch him for a few years and when I did see him again he was virtually a dobber by comparison. Still a class act, though, but eight years ago you could never imagine Simon Jones smacking him over his head for six, as happened in the winter.
i'd think his initial loss of pace happened in 98 or so and then by the end of 2001 he was down to medium pace.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
During the last Ashes test the commentators mentioned that Waqar/Wasim had the most wickets of any fast bowling duo. Gillespie/Mgrath were 3rd. Wouldnt mind knowing the actual figures.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Arrow said:
During the last Ashes test the commentators mentioned that Waqar/Wasim had the most wickets of any fast bowling duo. Gillespie/Mgrath were 3rd. Wouldnt mind knowing the actual figures.
I think it's actually Ambrose and Walsh that hold the record, while Wasim and Waqar are second.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think it's actually Ambrose and Walsh that hold the record, while Wasim and Waqar are second.
Its wasim/waqar who share the most wickets, then come ambrose/walsh......theres quite some difference between them.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
yep has got to be Wasim and Waqar. Can't see past those two. However Thompson/Lillee must have been awesome though

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the "lucky" mcgrath and the "brilliant" mcgrath, those two operating in tandem have been absolutely sensational... :D

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
This thread is focusing on Tests but if we factor in One dayers as well its no contest Wasim and Waqar.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
What about Alan Donald and Fanie de Villiers? My friend's Dad says they were the terror of the cricket world in their time.

tooextracool

International Coach
Fanie obviously didnt play enough test match cricket. had he done so, he might have become one of the better bowlers of the 90s.

Slifer

International Captain
godofcricket said:
Its wasim/waqar who share the most wickets, then come ambrose/walsh......theres quite some difference between them.

No theres not Ambrose has 405 test wickets to Walsh's 519

Waqar has 373 and Wasim 414 if u r including ODIs then i guess u r right in which case u can ignore all that i just wrote.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think it stems from Walsh and Ambrose having competition for the New Ball early in their careers so not opening up together all the time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
not sure but some great one's could probaly be:

1. McGrath/Gillespie
2. Wasim/Waqar
3. Donald/Pollock
4. Treuman/Statham - hmm the greatest roses combination
5. Lillee/Thompson
6. Hall/Griffith
7. Ambrose/Walsh
8. Lindwall/Miller
9. Imran/Wasim