• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richie Benaud's last stand

howardj

International Coach
Well, while all the focus has been on who will win the Urn at the Oval, in what will be a gripping denouement to the series, that it will be Richie Benaud's last Test match as a TV commentator in England, has somewhat slipped under the radar.

Will Richie do a victory/farewell lap of the ground, on Boycott's shoulders; be drenched by a tonne of Gatorade - what send off will they give him?

And what are your favourite memories of Richie?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think he's an impressionists dream. So many quotable catchphrases that are unmistakably "Richie".

-Good morning Tony/Geoffrey/Mark, good morning everybody.

-My goodness me.

-What a marvellous delivery that was.

-Oh, shot.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Well, he couldn't have picked a better match.

And what if Channel 4 pick up the rights again in 2010? Will he not be coming back? I guess he might be a little old by then.

My best memories of Richie are as a calming presence - you hear "Thanks Mark, morning everyone" at 10.30am on a Thursday morning and you know you can settle down for the next five days and enjoy a good game of cricket.

And one particular memory - me and a friend of mine went to the Oval Test in 2003 against SA, and after Day 1 we hung around to meet the players afterwards. A couple of them came out and I was getting their autographs, then I saw Mike Atherton having just come out of the combox and trying to sneak away down an alley without having to sign any autographs, so I stopped him and got his autograph, followed by Freddie Flintoff. However, as I went back to the main autograph area, I was busy getting Graeme Smith to sign my miniature bat when I spied another figure going down the same alley Athers had failed to negotiate - a lone figure in a cream jacket, grey trousers and with unmistakeable white hair. I could have run after him and told him what a legend he is, but I decided that the image I had just seen, of a man loved by so many shying away from the limelight by walking off into the distance down a deserted alley, was so poetic I couldn't possibly disturb him. It was like something out of a film, it really was.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
I think he's an impressionists dream. So many quotable catchphrases that are unmistakably "Richie".

-My goodness me.

-Oh, shot.
My personal favourite: Chaos. Abso-lute chaos.

He'll be sorely missed.

Slow Love™

International Captain
howardj said:
Well, while all the focus has been on who will win the Urn at the Oval, in what will be a gripping denouement to the series, that it will be Richie Benaud's last Test match as a TV commentator in England, has somewhat slipped under the radar.

Will Richie do a victory/farewell lap of the ground, on Boycott's shoulders; be drenched by a tonne of Gatorade - what send off will they give him?

Is that true? I had thought this would be his last year commentating, but I thought I'd read that he'd signed a new three-year contract (this would have been for Channel 9 in AUS, but I'd have assumed it would mean he'd keep working for Ch4 as well)...

Anyhow, there are many great memories of Richie. Usually his incredible dry humor. The funny thing is he doesn't actually laugh out loud very often. I remember one time he did - it was a few years ago now, I can't remember exactly who we were playing, but I recall Warnie putting his head through the stumps at the bowlers' end during a bungled run-out attempt. It was certainly one of the funniest things I'd seen, and Richie spent the next half-hour or so struggling to make comments while he chuckled about it (strangely, he sounded exactly like the twelfh-man comedian, Billy Birmingham, had imagined it might sound when Richie laughed).

Another favorite moment was around 2003, I think, when there was one of those hail-storms you sometimes get up in Brisbane. Apparently the Ch9 crew were nervous about being struck by lightning, and wanted to get the hell out of Dodge. Richie announced this extremely hurriedly, looking absolutely white (even more so than usual) - I dunno why but my wife and I found it absolutely hilarious. We basically went to an ad-break with clouds heavily threatening, and returned with Richie muttering "see you later then".

To be honest, I feel that Richie hasn't been as good as he once was in recent years (I'm sure he's aware of this, and it's why he's contemplating retirement) - his exchanges with Simon O'Donnell are often pretty forced, and at times he seems confused. If he's leaving now, it's good timing - he's been absolutely fantastic for the game, and he's smart enough to go out still on top, rather than becoming the cricket equivalent of Lou Richards.

A great man, a great player, a great commentator. Things certainly won't be the same without hearing his voice when the cricket's on.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Slow Love™ said:
I'd have assumed it would mean he'd keep working for Ch4 as well)...
The Oval is Channel 4's last Test until 2010, having lost the TV rights to SKY for the next four summers.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
The Oval is Channel 4's last Test until 2010, having lost the TV rights to SKY for the next four summers.
Oh, yeah... I think I read that some of the Ch4 contracted commentators will be jumping ship to Sky. I guess from this thread that Richie won't be one of those though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
howardj said:

I expect a more Arlott-like end to his career.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Could he take Willis and Nicholas back to Australia with him, and then "accidently" drop their passports in the Tasman Sea? PLEASE!!!

On a not so idiotic note, farewell Mr Benaud. We still love you

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
My favourite pieces of commentary from Richie are:

1. When Dean Jones was flailing the English attack in an ODI in Brisbane, 1990/91 and he smashed a six straight down the ground....Richie said to Boycott "Just reach out and catch it, Geoffrey!"

2. Again, Deano, Brisbane, ODI, against the Saffies this time, 1993/94....Deano smashes one again down the ground for six and all Richie said is...."I'll get it!"

Channel 9 Commentary just won't be the same without him when he goes, if ever. And I have rather enjoyed the Channel 4/SBS coverage...better than the bland doofuses' (sp? word even?) at Sky/Foxsports.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
you never know he might be back for 2010, i reakon he will keep commentating till he cant talk anymore.

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:

-My goodness me.

-Oh, shot.
Its a wonderful day here at.. Notting-ham

ahh thats a su-perb bit of cricket

Not my favourite commentator, but you only realize how good something is when it's gone forever!

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
My best memories of Richie are as a calming presence - you hear "Thanks Mark, morning everyone" at 10.30am on a Thursday morning and you know you can settle down for the next five days and enjoy a good game of cricket.
Yep, exactly. Was one of the best things getting back from China, sitting down in a comfortable chair and hearing Richie commentate.