• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richie Benaud's last stand

tadeusz

State 12th Man
He could dust off the Baggy Green and retain the Ashes for the Aussies. Goodness knows we need to try something.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
If you ignore his feats in his playing days, he's brought more to the game than anyone else could while staying off the ground. His sense of humour is different, but definitely not unusual. He is a great of the game and there is a good chance that a commentator of his standard will never come along again.

Piper

International Captain
Im gonna really miss Mr. Benaud.... one of the best comentators ever.... will be sorely missed by most...... but we will have to put up with Boycott... oh lucky us 8-)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
andyc said:
Yep, exactly. Was one of the best things getting back from China, sitting down in a comfortable chair and hearing Richie commentate.
Likewise for me getting back from Rome in the middle of the Old Trafford Test - hearing Richie's voice let me know I was home.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Piper said:
but we will have to put up with Boycott... oh lucky us 8-)
Yes. Lucky us. He's a real proper northerner who just happened to be unfortunate enough to be born on the wrong side of pennines. He doesn't talk out of his **** like them southerners and his accent is far better (despite being too harsh, like many Yorkie voices, which is why Lancastrian accents are better) than some southerners (Stewart and Willis for example) who sound screechy and horrible.

Shounak

Banned
steds said:
Yes. Lucky us. He's a real proper northerner who just happened to be unfortunate enough to be born on the wrong side of pennines. He doesn't talk out of his **** like them southerners and his accent is far better (despite being too harsh, like many Yorkie voices, which is why Lancastrian accents are better) than some southerners (Stewart and Willis for example) who sound screechy and horrible.
"He has an aurally pleasant English accent" would have sufficed..

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yesterday at Lords he got a massive standing ovation that was imediatly followed by bichel clean bowling troughton which was a great moment. A brilliant comentator it will just be strange him not being there

PY

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Oh, yeah... I think I read that some of the Ch4 contracted commentators will be jumping ship to Sky. I guess from this thread that Richie won't be one of those though.
He refuses to commentate on Channels that aren't free to air supposedly.

That's what an article said about him in the Telegraph. :(