Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** Australia 'A' in Pakistan

Australia A Squad To Tour Pakistan

The most interesting selection is probably in the reserves - Mitchell Johnson. If this guy can stay fit, a Test career beckons.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23212,00.html
    Last edited by howardj; 10-08-2005 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    The most interesting selection is probably in the reserves - Mitchell Johnson. If this guy can stay fit, a Test career beckons.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23212,00.html
    Interesting to see Chris Hartley named too (as a reserve), when he hasn't been keeping regularly for Queensland. Interestingly, do you think that Stuart Clark would have been a bit of a suprise call-up for this if he hadn't have had all this press already about being called into the Ashes squad?

His figures last year were good - without being outstanding, and we're helped a fair bit by a 5/10 against...some substandard side, I can't remember right now

It'll be interesting to see how they use Dominic Thornely and Shane Watson - especially with Watson in the four day games. Damien Wright was stiff to miss, IMO, but he's not exactly a spring chicken, yeah? Hopefully Rogers gets a call-up at some stage, and North does well.

They've really only taken four out and out bowlers over, as well - Bracken, Clark, Cullen and Lewis, plus White and Watson. It'll be interesting to see the difference in the make-up of the side in the two different forms of the game.

Ah well, that's my two cents.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    James Hopes will be kind of annoyed that you forget out him when you where talking about the all rounders, vic. I think the selection of effectively four all rounders and only five bowlers shows their intent to find a Flintoff/Oram style player. Personally i would have picked Damien Wright infront one of them, probably Thornely. But i guess Thornely in there as the reserve batsmen. Also think that the Hartley slection as reserve was interesting especially infront of Ronchi and Crosthwaite, who have both been regulars in their state sides. Would be interesting to see the make up of the four day XI with all these all rounders, my prediction:

1. P Jaques
    2. M Hussey
    3. B Hogde
    4. S Watson
    5. M North
    6. B Haddin
    7. J Hopes
    8. C White
    9. N Bracken
    10. S Tait
    11. D Cullen

Only three frontline bowlers but none of the bowlers are great batsmen so it will be a long tail if you played four.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Is that White guy the leggie that everyone is talking about?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    James Hopes will be kind of annoyed that you forget out him when you where talking about the all rounders, vic. I think the selection of effectively four all rounders and only five bowlers shows their intent to find a Flintoff/Oram style player. Personally i would have picked Damien Wright infront one of them, probably Thornely. But i guess Thornely in there as the reserve batsmen. Also think that the Hartley slection as reserve was interesting especially infront of Ronchi and Crosthwaite, who have both been regulars in their state sides. Would be interesting to see the make up of the four day XI with all these all rounders, my prediction:

1. P Jaques
    2. M Hussey
    3. B Hogde
    4. S Watson
    5. M North
    6. B Haddin
    7. J Hopes
    8. C White
    9. N Bracken
    10. S Tait
    11. D Cullen

Only three frontline bowlers but none of the bowlers are great batsmen so it will be a long tail if you played four.
    Mate, I think Lewis or Clark would be in there ahead of Hopes. That would mean Cam White bats at seven, which I think gives the side sufficient batting depth.

I would have liked to see Wright picked since i reckon he could have fit into Australia's plans for the 2007 World Cup pretty well, with his all-round ability. Hartely's selection as the reserve Keeper is surprising i would have though they would have for Ronchi also i'm surprised that Thorneley was selcted over David Hussey, they should have probably picked Johnson in the intial sqaud since A teams are players who are more likely to play in the distant future & Johnson will do so more than Lewis or Clark...

Anyway my predicted line-up

1.Jaques
    2.Hussey
    3.Hodge
    4.North
    5.Watson
    6.Haddin
    7.Hopes
    8.White
    9.Bracken
    10.Tait
    11.Cullen

Mate, I think Lewis or Clark would be in there ahead of Hopes. That would mean Cam White bats at seven, which I think gives the side sufficient batting depth.
    well thats an option has well, we will se what the selectors do

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I think that the keeper who was a bit stiff was young dawson from tasmania he seems very talented with the bat often opening up and scoring runs for tassie. Also i would have thrown in Adam Voges as a wildcard his allround potential will feature for asutralia in odi's at soem stage did anyone see that innings he played in teh ing cup verses nsw at north sydney oval man taht was amazing fastest ever 100 in odi domestic in aus. At least for the one dayers i would have liekd to see him in there. And what about poor old kade harvey he has been teh linchpin of the warriors oneday success over the last decade he has copped it never been given a chance at representattive level.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    my bad i just read an article saying kade harvey ahs retired
    still got jipped his whole career.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    - Hussey had a crap season last year and Thornley deserves his spot over him considering his an all round option in ODs.
    - Voges a all round option, can the guy actually bowl
    - I agree with that Wright should have been in the sqaud, atleast just for the fact that he can bat down the order and they can play 4 bowlers without having a very long tail. Howardj, would you really want to see any side having Bracken at 8.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Voges is a left arm spinner in teh jasasuriya lehman michael clarke mode if clarkey can take a 6fer on the dust beds of my mothercountry india then voges chipping in with a few overs wont be bad at all. Take a risk throw him in the deepend like the windies did with dwayne smith.

Mitch Johnson and Chris Hartley were bolts from the blue. Especially Johnson.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

James Hopes will be kind of annoyed that you forget out him when you where talking about the all rounders, vic.
    Yup, my bad.
    - Hussey had a crap season last year and Thornley deserves his spot over him considering his an all round option in ODs.
    If it were just a tour of One Day matches, Hussey would still be very very stiff to miss out, as had a pretty good ING Cup last year. But as you were pointing out, Thornely was more consistent across both forms of the game and thoroughly deserves his spot going by performances.
    - Voges a all round option, can the guy actually bowl
    Goodf he can bowl, then all he needs to do then is get his batting sorted out...

One innings doth not a batsman make.
    Team balance wise, I'd be pretty happy with chaminda's team, especially if the selectors are still looking at developing Watson as an all-rounder long term.

However, resting two pace bowlers will not happen too often on the tour, for mine, and they will end up doing as you described.

Banned
    Gillespie, Gilchrist and Ponting should all be in it.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    Is that White guy the leggie that everyone is talking about?
    Yeah, probably. All-rounder, captain of Victoria, bowls fast, flat leggies with a big wrong'un with moderate success.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information