• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia 'A' in Pakistan

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
howardj said:
The most interesting selection is probably in the reserves - Mitchell Johnson. If this guy can stay fit, a Test career beckons.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16224505-23212,00.html
Interesting to see Chris Hartley named too (as a reserve), when he hasn't been keeping regularly for Queensland. Interestingly, do you think that Stuart Clark would have been a bit of a suprise call-up for this if he hadn't have had all this press already about being called into the Ashes squad?

His figures last year were good - without being outstanding, and we're helped a fair bit by a 5/10 against...some substandard side, I can't remember right now :p

It'll be interesting to see how they use Dominic Thornely and Shane Watson - especially with Watson in the four day games. Damien Wright was stiff to miss, IMO, but he's not exactly a spring chicken, yeah? Hopefully Rogers gets a call-up at some stage, and North does well.

They've really only taken four out and out bowlers over, as well - Bracken, Clark, Cullen and Lewis, plus White and Watson. It'll be interesting to see the difference in the make-up of the side in the two different forms of the game.

Ah well, that's my two cents.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
James Hopes will be kind of annoyed that you forget out him when you where talking about the all rounders, vic. I think the selection of effectively four all rounders and only five bowlers shows their intent to find a Flintoff/Oram style player. Personally i would have picked Damien Wright infront one of them, probably Thornely. But i guess Thornely in there as the reserve batsmen. Also think that the Hartley slection as reserve was interesting especially infront of Ronchi and Crosthwaite, who have both been regulars in their state sides. Would be interesting to see the make up of the four day XI with all these all rounders, my prediction:

1. P Jaques
2. M Hussey
3. B Hogde
4. S Watson
5. M North
6. B Haddin
7. J Hopes
8. C White
9. N Bracken
10. S Tait
11. D Cullen

Only three frontline bowlers but none of the bowlers are great batsmen so it will be a long tail if you played four.

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
James Hopes will be kind of annoyed that you forget out him when you where talking about the all rounders, vic. I think the selection of effectively four all rounders and only five bowlers shows their intent to find a Flintoff/Oram style player. Personally i would have picked Damien Wright infront one of them, probably Thornely. But i guess Thornely in there as the reserve batsmen. Also think that the Hartley slection as reserve was interesting especially infront of Ronchi and Crosthwaite, who have both been regulars in their state sides. Would be interesting to see the make up of the four day XI with all these all rounders, my prediction:

1. P Jaques
2. M Hussey
3. B Hogde
4. S Watson
5. M North
6. B Haddin
7. J Hopes
8. C White
9. N Bracken
10. S Tait
11. D Cullen

Only three frontline bowlers but none of the bowlers are great batsmen so it will be a long tail if you played four.
Mate, I think Lewis or Clark would be in there ahead of Hopes. That would mean Cam White bats at seven, which I think gives the side sufficient batting depth.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I would have liked to see Wright picked since i reckon he could have fit into Australia's plans for the 2007 World Cup pretty well, with his all-round ability. Hartely's selection as the reserve Keeper is surprising i would have though they would have for Ronchi also i'm surprised that Thorneley was selcted over David Hussey, they should have probably picked Johnson in the intial sqaud since A teams are players who are more likely to play in the distant future & Johnson will do so more than Lewis or Clark...

Anyway my predicted line-up

1.Jaques
2.Hussey
3.Hodge
4.North
5.Watson
6.Haddin
7.Hopes
8.White
9.Bracken
10.Tait
11.Cullen

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Mate, I think Lewis or Clark would be in there ahead of Hopes. That would mean Cam White bats at seven, which I think gives the side sufficient batting depth.
well thats an option has well, we will se what the selectors do

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think that the keeper who was a bit stiff was young dawson from tasmania he seems very talented with the bat often opening up and scoring runs for tassie. Also i would have thrown in Adam Voges as a wildcard his allround potential will feature for asutralia in odi's at soem stage did anyone see that innings he played in teh ing cup verses nsw at north sydney oval man taht was amazing fastest ever 100 in odi domestic in aus. At least for the one dayers i would have liekd to see him in there. And what about poor old kade harvey he has been teh linchpin of the warriors oneday success over the last decade he has copped it never been given a chance at representattive level.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
- Hussey had a crap season last year and Thornley deserves his spot over him considering his an all round option in ODs.
- Voges a all round option, can the guy actually bowl
- I agree with that Wright should have been in the sqaud, atleast just for the fact that he can bat down the order and they can play 4 bowlers without having a very long tail. Howardj, would you really want to see any side having Bracken at 8.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Voges is a left arm spinner in teh jasasuriya lehman michael clarke mode if clarkey can take a 6fer on the dust beds of my mothercountry india then voges chipping in with a few overs wont be bad at all. Take a risk throw him in the deepend like the windies did with dwayne smith.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
James Hopes will be kind of annoyed that you forget out him when you where talking about the all rounders, vic.
Yup, my bad.
chaminda_00 said:
- Hussey had a crap season last year and Thornley deserves his spot over him considering his an all round option in ODs.
If it were just a tour of One Day matches, Hussey would still be very very stiff to miss out, as had a pretty good ING Cup last year. But as you were pointing out, Thornely was more consistent across both forms of the game and thoroughly deserves his spot going by performances.
chaminda_00 said:
- Voges a all round option, can the guy actually bowl
Goodf he can bowl, then all he needs to do then is get his batting sorted out...

One innings doth not a batsman make.
howardj said:
Team balance wise, I'd be pretty happy with chaminda's team, especially if the selectors are still looking at developing Watson as an all-rounder long term.

However, resting two pace bowlers will not happen too often on the tour, for mine, and they will end up doing as you described.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Is that White guy the leggie that everyone is talking about?
Yeah, probably. All-rounder, captain of Victoria, bowls fast, flat leggies with a big wrong'un with moderate success.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What do you think about Damien Wrights chances of playing in the 2007 WC, here what i think the aussie 15-man sqaud may look like:

1.Ponting
2.Gilchrist
3.Clarke
4.Martyn
5.Symonds
6.Hussey
7.Watson
8.White
9.Lee
10.Katich/Hodge
11.Gillespie
12.McGrath
13.Hopes
14.Haddin
15.Tait/Wright

I have been impressed by his good all-round ability, he seems to be a good economical bowler, a very capable lower-order bat & a good batsman & i am thinking would the selectors want to pick another Brett Lee type bowler in the squad???, if no wihc i think would be the case i would pick Wright in front of Tait or Bracken jsut for thr world cup.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well the selectors didn't give him a Cricket Australia contract, so i don't think they see him as a long term option. Also he didn't make the first sqaud for the A Tour, so i think there are guys infront of him. Personally i think he is better option then Lewis or Clark and maybe Bracken when you add in his batting, but the selectors don't seem to think so.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, probably. All-rounder, captain of Victoria, bowls fast, flat leggies with a big wrong'un with moderate success.

thats abit generous.

the rest of the squad

im happy to see Hussey And North in there in particular - like watching them bat.

very dissapointed that Hartley was picked over Ronchi or even Croswaithe.

Mitchell Johnson ive seen a couple of times and he looks good, very quick. about as injury prone as gillespie though :(

Dissapointed Bracken got picked, dont rate him