• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia 'A' in Pakistan

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's been some discussion about this, but I figured this deserved a thread of its own, assuming it doesn't already have one (I couldn't find it at least), as the matches kick off fairly soon.

The Australia 'A' squad is: Brad Haddin (capt), Michael Hussey (vice-capt), Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark, Phil Jaques, Dominic Thornely, Daniel Cullen, Shaun Tait, Brad Hodge, Michael Lewis, Cameron White, James Hopes, Shane Watson, Marcus North.

The first of the four FC games begins on the 11th, which is actually before the Ashes finishes, so we can assume that Tait and probably Hodge won't be involved, which might actually leave the team a bit short for players.

Personally, I'm looking most closely at Bracken and Cullen with the ball (and Tait when he shows up), and Hussey, Jaques and Watson with the bat as I think those guys are the most likely to be drafted in to the Australian team in the near future.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Would this be the likely team then?

Hussey
Jaques
Hodge
North
Watson
Haddin
White
Hopes
Clark
Bracken
Tait
That's a definate possibility, but I expect the pitches will turn a bit and as Cullen is the big hope for Australian spin they'll want to give him a run. Thornley in the 4D games too, after his stellar season. White will get a better go in the 1D games.

So maybe...
Hussey
Jaques
Hodge
Watson
Thornley
North
Haddin (c) (k)
Cullen
Lewis/Clark
Bracken
Tait

Then for 1D games
Hussey
Jaques
Hodge
Watson
North
Haddin (c) (k)
White
Hopes
Lewis/Clark
Bracken
Tait

I'd expect everyone on the tour to get a go of course, as there's 7 games in total.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
It seems strange that Hussey and Lewis have already left Durham whose game started today and Jacques has left Yorkshi*e who have a NL game today, but North is playing in the CC for Lancs, Watson is playing for Hants in the CC, Stuart Clark is playing for Middx.

Any reason for the inconsistencies?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
It seems strange that Hussey and Lewis have already left Durham whose game started today and Jacques has left Yorkshi*e who have a NL game today, but North is playing in the CC for Lancs, Watson is playing for Hants in the CC, Stuart Clark is playing for Middx.

Yeah, go figure. Maybe some of them were given permission to arrive late and maybe miss a game, or maybe it's just personal choice and some notified the counties that they would be available for this final match and others didn't.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
superkingdave said:

So if M Hussey has already left, that means he won't be selected for the test match?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He was never going to be selected - hes not in the squad!

People dont seem to realise what the purpose of naming the squad is... New players will be only be called into it in the event of injury.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Prince EWS said:

People dont seem to realise what the purpose of naming the squad is... New players will be only be called into it in the event of injury.
But in the event of someone - in this case an opening batsman - who should/could be dropped, and there is no natural replacement for him (Katich has rarely opened in FC cricket), then why should a side restrict itself by the players who are only in the squad. Surely you would pick the best side possible to enhance your chances of winning - whether or not a player is in the squad is irrelevant, barring logistics.

Strange are the ways of Australian cricket board selectors, against a powerful opponent like England they selected a weak team (or more appropriately not their best team) yet against a team like Pakistan they are sending a highly experiance "A" team, where only a pre-school team would have been enough to bowl out Paikistanis to 50 odd score!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
vic_orthdox said:
But in the event of someone - in this case an opening batsman - who should/could be dropped, and there is no natural replacement for him (Katich has rarely opened in FC cricket), then why should a side restrict itself by the players who are only in the squad. Surely you would pick the best side possible to enhance your chances of winning - whether or not a player is in the squad is irrelevant, barring logistics.
As much as they could/should change the squad, Im absolutely certain that they wont unless there are injuries.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Prince EWS said:
As much as they could/should change the squad, Im absolutely certain that they wont unless there are injuries.
Oh, I agree that what you describe there is what WILL happen. I was thinking that you meant they should never bring in players from outside of the squad unless there is an injury.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
vic_orthdox said:
Oh, I agree that what you describe there is what WILL happen. I was thinking that you meant they should never bring in players from outside of the squad unless there is an injury.
That would involve swallowing their pride, which they simply wouldnt do.

Picking the best side possible should be first and foremost, but sadly, it isnt.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:

doesn't mean i have to like it :p

Mister Wright

If Australia were in South Africa or Zimbabwe they would not have the luxary of picking players outside the squad. The rules should remain the same for an Ashes series.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Bracken to dominate with both bat and ball.
:p

Does anyone know if Bracken can reverse it? I think it's fair to say he's the best conventional swing bowler in Australia, but on a tour of Pakistan the ability to reverse it could be important. I think he might have a big of success over there anyway.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
:p

Does anyone know if Bracken can reverse it? I think it's fair to say he's the best conventional swing bowler in Australia, but on a tour of Pakistan the ability to reverse it could be important. I think he might have a big of success over there anyway.
He'll only have success with the white ball.