Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If Simon Jones is Unfit for the Final Test Who Would You Pick to Replace Him?

Virus Champion! Super Mario Mushroom Champion! Treasure Diver Champion!

If Simon Jones is Unfit for the Final Test Who Would You Pick to Replace Him?

I think at the start of the year Tremlett would have gotten a go, but he's been pretty average for the last couple of months and I wouldn't risk him in such a big game. The other bowling option is Jon Lewis, but I cannot see them picking him ahead of Tremlett, as it is more of a Tremlett pitch and hes been ahead in the pecking order since the 1st test.

Collingwood has been in good form with the bat and would probably be fighting it out with Joyce if a batsmen is preferred - a distinct possibility as we only need to draw the Test. I also think someone like Collingwood bowling negative away swingers outside off isnt a bad tactic. When Bell bowled against Clarke i thought he was a bit unlucky not to get a wicket, they just can't help themselves and often have needless slashes outside off.

Opinions?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Tremlett. That kid is a serious talent, he's got superb accuracy for someone so inexperienced and his height is a big asset. I'm not sure he'll go that well against Australia right off, but he's certainly a better option than Collingwood, as England wouldn't want to be going in with only 4 bowlers that can be trusted given that all their bowlers except Flintoff have struggled at some point in the series but Vaughan has been able to hide them due to the 5-man attack. That's a big asset for England, and it would be foolish to give it up to draft in a bits-and-pieces guy like Collingwood.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Tremlett for me too. Or if the selectors don't fanct throwing him in so suddenly, then I'd be inclined to go with TEC and BoyBrumby's choice and recall Andy Caddick (injury permitting) for one last hurrah - he takes wickets at the Oval, wouldn't be overawed by the occasion, and it would be one hell of a fairytale ending to this series if he were to get wickets.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Ideally Caddick (you boy, stop laughing at the back there!!), but he looks out of it injury-wise. Tremlett is the next best option, so he or a fit Caddick for me.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I think it's been summarised pretty well above. I could just about believe a Caddick pick, but no one else beyond Tremlett or Collingwood is an option.

Except maybe Rikki.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Interesting how when Caddick said "I haven't given up hope of playing in the Ashes" everyone laughed, but now we're all disappointed that he's injured. It's a funny old game!

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    I think it's been summarised pretty well above. I could just about believe a Caddick pick, but no one else beyond Tremlett or Collingwood is an option.

Except maybe Rikki.
    If Collingwood is an option then so are several other batsmen. His bowling is an irrelevance - it's about the same potency as Ian Bell in a test match.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Interesting how when Caddick said "I haven't given up hope of playing in the Ashes" everyone laughed, but now we're all disappointed that he's injured. It's a funny old game!
    I didn't laugh. Much.

I wonder if Nicholson will get a run out for Aus one day again.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    If Collingwood is an option then so are several other batsmen. His bowling is an irrelevance - it's about the same potency as Ian Bell in a test match.
    I disagree - Ian Bell's FC bowling average is only 32, and Collingwood's is 38. Bell bowls first change for Warwickshire sometimes - he's actually the better bowler. If he wasn't such a good batsman he'd make an average all-rounder.

The point about Collingwood is he's the sort of batsman you pick as the "going for a draw" option - gritty, committed, and won't let you down. If England were picking simply on batting ability or runs this season, they'd probably pick Joyce, but he's untried at international level whereas Collingwood has at least faced the Aussies in the ODIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    I didn't laugh. Much.

They carry on performing like this he will.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I'd have loved to have seen Jug-ears have one last go at the Aussies. We could have just subbed him for the whole of their first innings, just for the Ricky Pouting wind-up value, then wheeled his little Kiwi sheep-powered zimmer frame out for the second innings. About 6-44 would have done rather nicely.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Bomban Irani.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    I'd have loved to have seen Jug-ears have one last go at the Aussies. We could have just subbed him for the whole of their first innings, just for the Ricky Pouting wind-up value, then wheeled his little Kiwi sheep-powered zimmer frame out for the second innings. About 6-44 would have done rather nicely.
    Well you never know, he may haul himself off the physio's couch in time......

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    I didn't laugh. Much.

Matthew Nicholson, from NSW? Well... he's probably not that far down the pecking order really. After McGrath, Lee, Tait, Kasprowicz and concievably Gillespie, there's probably Bracken, Lewis, Nicholson, Clark and Bichel who could all be called up if a bomb hit the Austalian hotel or something. Nicholson isn't that young, but right now there aren't too many young guys other than Tait who would get called up for a debut before him.

I'd definately be going for Collingwood.

Who cares if the bowling gets hammered and Collingwood and Bell have to bowl a stack of overs? The Ashes is at stake here. England have to make sure they dont lose.

In fact, even if Jones was fit, I'd still be picking Collingwood...
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information