• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Simon Jones is Unfit for the Final Test Who Would You Pick to Replace Him?

Nedved's Fan

Cricket Spectator
I think at the start of the year Tremlett would have gotten a go, but he's been pretty average for the last couple of months and I wouldn't risk him in such a big game. The other bowling option is Jon Lewis, but I cannot see them picking him ahead of Tremlett, as it is more of a Tremlett pitch and hes been ahead in the pecking order since the 1st test.

Collingwood has been in good form with the bat and would probably be fighting it out with Joyce if a batsmen is preferred - a distinct possibility as we only need to draw the Test. I also think someone like Collingwood bowling negative away swingers outside off isnt a bad tactic. When Bell bowled against Clarke i thought he was a bit unlucky not to get a wicket, they just can't help themselves and often have needless slashes outside off.

Opinions?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tremlett. That kid is a serious talent, he's got superb accuracy for someone so inexperienced and his height is a big asset. I'm not sure he'll go that well against Australia right off, but he's certainly a better option than Collingwood, as England wouldn't want to be going in with only 4 bowlers that can be trusted given that all their bowlers except Flintoff have struggled at some point in the series but Vaughan has been able to hide them due to the 5-man attack. That's a big asset for England, and it would be foolish to give it up to draft in a bits-and-pieces guy like Collingwood.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tremlett for me too. Or if the selectors don't fanct throwing him in so suddenly, then I'd be inclined to go with TEC and BoyBrumby's choice and recall Andy Caddick (injury permitting) for one last hurrah - he takes wickets at the Oval, wouldn't be overawed by the occasion, and it would be one hell of a fairytale ending to this series if he were to get wickets.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Ideally Caddick (you boy, stop laughing at the back there!!), but he looks out of it injury-wise. Tremlett is the next best option, so he or a fit Caddick for me.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think it's been summarised pretty well above. I could just about believe a Caddick pick, but no one else beyond Tremlett or Collingwood is an option.

Except maybe Rikki.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Interesting how when Caddick said "I haven't given up hope of playing in the Ashes" everyone laughed, but now we're all disappointed that he's injured. It's a funny old game!

greg

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
I think it's been summarised pretty well above. I could just about believe a Caddick pick, but no one else beyond Tremlett or Collingwood is an option.

Except maybe Rikki.
If Collingwood is an option then so are several other batsmen. His bowling is an irrelevance - it's about the same potency as Ian Bell in a test match.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
Interesting how when Caddick said "I haven't given up hope of playing in the Ashes" everyone laughed, but now we're all disappointed that he's injured. It's a funny old game!
I didn't laugh. Much.

I wonder if Nicholson will get a run out for Aus one day again.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
greg said:
If Collingwood is an option then so are several other batsmen. His bowling is an irrelevance - it's about the same potency as Ian Bell in a test match.
I disagree - Ian Bell's FC bowling average is only 32, and Collingwood's is 38. Bell bowls first change for Warwickshire sometimes - he's actually the better bowler. If he wasn't such a good batsman he'd make an average all-rounder.

The point about Collingwood is he's the sort of batsman you pick as the "going for a draw" option - gritty, committed, and won't let you down. If England were picking simply on batting ability or runs this season, they'd probably pick Joyce, but he's untried at international level whereas Collingwood has at least faced the Aussies in the ODIs.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd have loved to have seen Jug-ears have one last go at the Aussies. We could have just subbed him for the whole of their first innings, just for the Ricky Pouting wind-up value, then wheeled his little Kiwi sheep-powered zimmer frame out for the second innings. About 6-44 would have done rather nicely.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
I'd have loved to have seen Jug-ears have one last go at the Aussies. We could have just subbed him for the whole of their first innings, just for the Ricky Pouting wind-up value, then wheeled his little Kiwi sheep-powered zimmer frame out for the second innings. About 6-44 would have done rather nicely.
Well you never know, he may haul himself off the physio's couch in time......

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
I didn't laugh. Much.

I wonder if Nicholson will get a run out for Aus one day again.
Matthew Nicholson, from NSW? Well... he's probably not that far down the pecking order really. After McGrath, Lee, Tait, Kasprowicz and concievably Gillespie, there's probably Bracken, Lewis, Nicholson, Clark and Bichel who could all be called up if a bomb hit the Austalian hotel or something. Nicholson isn't that young, but right now there aren't too many young guys other than Tait who would get called up for a debut before him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd definately be going for Collingwood.

Who cares if the bowling gets hammered and Collingwood and Bell have to bowl a stack of overs? The Ashes is at stake here. England have to make sure they dont lose.

In fact, even if Jones was fit, I'd still be picking Collingwood...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love for Anderson to play and do well, but that won't happen. Tremlett is next in line

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Prince EWS said:
I'd definately be going for Collingwood.

Who cares if the bowling gets hammered and Collingwood and Bell have to bowl a stack of overs? The Ashes is at stake here. England have to make sure they dont lose.

In fact, even if Jones was fit, I'd still be picking Collingwood...
I wouldn't, it's pointless bringing another batsman in because whoever it is (Thorpe excluded) they'll look like a rabbit when Warne bowls to them - after 3+ Tests they'd maybe hold their own, but Warne would have a significant novelty factor in their first Test especially as he got some of his drift back in the last Test.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Caddick? You guys have to be kidding me.

Even if he were good enough, which he's not, that would fly totally in the face of the Eng selection policy of the past 2 years.