• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Simon Jones is Unfit for the Final Test Who Would You Pick to Replace Him?

twctopcat

International Regular
vic_orthdox said:
James Anderson? :huh:
Indeed, Jimmy was pretty far down my list. "Big match experience" is a bit dodgy, all i remember is Mr Smith and some rather large scores. Well don't let us down now Jonesy....

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
It was either Anderson or Cork apparantly, the selectors argued and delayed the decision, finally going for the "youth" option.

Damn, would've loved to have seen Corky playing for Eng one last time.

Anyhoo, fingers crossed for Jonah eh.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
It was either Anderson or Cork apparantly, the selectors argued and delayed the decision, finally going for the "youth" option.

Damn, would've loved to have seen Corky playing for Eng one last time.

Anyhoo, fingers crossed for Jonah eh.
Can Anderson bat at all? Unless it's swinging a lot at The Oval I can't see him getting much of a bowl if he plays. If it's not swinging for Hoggard either, that leaves a lot of work for Harmison and Flintoff.

If it's a choice between Anderson and Collingwood I'd go for Collingwood.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Can Anderson bat at all? Unless it's swinging a lot at The Oval I can't see him getting much of a bowl if he plays. If it's not swinging for Hoggard either, that leaves a lot of work for Harmison and Flintoff.

If it's a choice between Anderson and Collingwood I'd go for Collingwood.
Not really. He'd bat 11 in our team & would if Jonah played too. Think he averages about 17 in tests, but that's massively inflated thru NOs.

I'd have gone for Corky (well actually I have gone for Tremlett or a fit Caddick, but hey... 8-) ) as he can bat a bit (FC century this year I think) & is less likely to be cowed by taking a bit of tap.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Indeed, Jimmy was pretty far down my list. "Big match experience" is a bit dodgy, all i remember is Mr Smith and some rather large scores. Well don't let us down now Jonesy....
Nasser Hussain must take a slice of the blame, he dropped a sitter from Smith off Jimmy when he was12 or somehting and he went on to make 250 odd

Graveny reckons jonahll be fit anyway

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
steds said:
I'd love for Anderson to play and do well, but that won't happen. Tremlett is next in line
Good afternoon my brother. Would love to see Anderson do well once again. he now has a chance, however it is 50/50 with him. still my favourite cricketer though

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
twctopcat said:
He was 85/86mph in ODI's which was encouraging, over the course of a 5day match he may become a dobber though and his control isn't that exemplary.
yeah thats more like it 85/86. I just feel with him, that he is not "nasty" for someone with all that potential. I think he ned to be left out of the team [ abit like they have for this test :p ] and make him really hungry [and angry :D ] for a test place. loads of potential though. perhaps Harmison long term replacement.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Not really. He'd bat 11 in our team & would if Jonah played too. Think he averages about 17 in tests, but that's massively inflated thru NOs.
Only man to play 8 Test matches before being dismissed. :p

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Can Anderson bat at all?
contrary to popular belief anderson is no mug with the bat and is more than capable of batting for a period of time if required. he isnt a big hitter like jones or harmison, but is more like hoggard.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I remember when he first came into the team he played one or two useful little innings at no11 and the C4 commentators were saying they thought he had potential with the bat, and it wouldn't be long before he was scoring FC fifties every now and again. He doesn't have a lot of natural ability, but he'd be capable of hanging around with Freddie or GoJo (or Harmy :D ) for a while if needed.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Barney Rubble said:
I remember when he first came into the team he played one or two useful little innings at no11 and the C4 commentators were saying they thought he had potential with the bat, and it wouldn't be long before he was scoring FC fifties every now and again. He doesn't have a lot of natural ability, but he'd be capable of hanging around with Freddie or GoJo (or Harmy :D ) for a while if needed.
We're going with GoJo, then are we? And SoJo for the other Jones?

But, its Harm-o, please!!!!