• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Simon Jones is Unfit for the Final Test Who Would You Pick to Replace Him?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
Kabir Ali has 5 Test wickets from 1 Test at 27.19 - I always thought he was a little hard done by to be so far away from consideration for so long after a solid debut. The selectors could do worse.
Did you watch that Test or just go off the numbers? He bowled tripe.

Another thing - surely if he has five wickets the average should be x.2, x.4, x.6, x.8 or x.0?

Swervy

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:

Another thing - surely if he has five wickets the average should be x.2, x.4, x.6, x.8 or x.0?
its 27.20 :D

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:

I watched bits of it - the Headingley Test of two years ago IIRC. Admittedly all I saw was a couple of average spells from Kabir, 6-1-20-1 type stuff. I guess I missed all the tripe! Also it was the pitch that Jimmy Kirtley got 6-for on, so it can't exactly have been good for batting.

Yeah, Kabir's rubbish. :p

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I watched bits of it - the Headingley Test of two years ago IIRC. Admittedly all I saw was a couple of average spells from Kabir, 6-1-20-1 type stuff. I guess I missed all the tripe! Also it was the pitch that Jimmy Kirtley got 6-for on, so it can't exactly have been good for batting.

Yeah, Kabir's rubbish. :p
I think Kirtley got his 6-for in the previous test, at Trent Bridge. As for Kabir, he was hardly the only one to bowl badly in the debacle that was Leeds 2003, but he seems to be the only one not to have been forgiven sufficiently to have been given another go. And since when have any of us written off a player after his first test anyway? (apart from Gavin Hamilton, of course)

tooextracool

International Coach
Nedved's Fan said:
I think at the start of the year Tremlett would have gotten a go, but he's been pretty average for the last couple of months and I wouldn't risk him in such a big game. The other bowling option is Jon Lewis, but I cannot see them picking him ahead of Tremlett, as it is more of a Tremlett pitch and hes been ahead in the pecking order since the 1st test.

Collingwood has been in good form with the bat and would probably be fighting it out with Joyce if a batsmen is preferred - a distinct possibility as we only need to draw the Test. I also think someone like Collingwood bowling negative away swingers outside off isnt a bad tactic. When Bell bowled against Clarke i thought he was a bit unlucky not to get a wicket, they just can't help themselves and often have needless slashes outside off.

Opinions?
one thing is for certain, england will not go into the test match playing for a draw, therefore all the lets have collingwood bowl outswingers outside the off stump isnt really going to do anything.

tooextracool

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
My decision to go for Collingwood isnt really based on Tremlett, its based on state of the series.

If Jones was fully fit, I'd just pick Colly over Hoggard or Giles. England need to make sure they dont lose this test. Whether they win or draw doesnt really matter.
and do you honestly see a test match in this series going to a draw without rain? the first test was over in a bit over 3 days, the 2nd got over in the same time, the third nearly got over in 4 and the 4th test was done in less than 4 days. unlike what most people seem to be suggesting the draw isnt exactly one of the most realistic options unless it rains in which case you are really playing for the rain.

tooextracool

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Or Gough. Or Cork. Let's not go back to the English thing of recycling old cricketers who are so far past their sellby it's just embarassing.
are people actually considering gough here? there was an article on cricinfo recently that said that gough may just be drafted into the side for jones because he was the most similar to simon jones, but seriously how stupid would that be? how long ago was it that people were saying that the dazzler was no longer dazzling and what not?
cork in the prime of his career wouldnt be good enough to carry the drinks for this england side.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
are people actually considering gough here? there was an article on cricinfo recently that said that gough may just be drafted into the side for jones because he was the most similar to simon jones, but seriously how stupid would that be? how long ago was it that people were saying that the dazzler was no longer dazzling and what not?
cork in the prime of his career wouldnt be good enough to carry the drinks for this england side.
I read about Gough & Cork as possible replacements elsewhere, and obviously I totally agree with you about both. Since Gough was cannon fodder against this lot 4 years ago and ditto against SA 2 years ago, it's stretching credulity to think he could do a lot now. As for Cork, I think he was briefly OK (circa 1995-96), but that was a long time ago.

Anyway, let's all pray that Jones is fit for Thursday. I think we've established that none of us fancy the alternatives very much (apart from the Aus batters, of course)

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
my england interesting test side

1 Stauss
2 Tresko
3 Vaughn (c)
4 Bell
5 Peterson
6 Flintoff
7 Jones
8 Giles
9 Hoggard
10 Harmi
11 Caddick

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
tooextracool said:
and do you honestly see a test match in this series going to a draw without rain? the first test was over in a bit over 3 days, the 2nd got over in the same time, the third nearly got over in 4 and the 4th test was done in less than 4 days. unlike what most people seem to be suggesting the draw isnt exactly one of the most realistic options unless it rains in which case you are really playing for the rain.
If England stacked the batting and played for the draw from ball one, Im pretty sure it would end up being a draw.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lets see now.....
how about hes not good enoug
I gave reasons for why I think he should be picked if Jones is unfit. How about you try the same for the converse and then maybe I'll listen, hmmm? :) And no "he's not good enough" doesnt cut it, especially when the way he bowled in the ODI's suggested otherwise.

tooextracool

International Coach
krishneelz said:
tooextracool do not be a tooextrafool tremlett is good just check his FC record its better than jones
wow FC records prove so much! just look at the 2 most prolific scorers in english cricket in the last decade.
what people see in tremlett i dont know, either people seem to be completely under the illusion that height and accuracy on their own will get wickets or they seem to take haydens words at the start of the summer a bit too seriously, because tremlett is hardly anything special at the moment. and tremlett doesn have a chance in hell of being anywhere near as good as jones has been this series.

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
I gave reasons for why I think he should be picked if Jones is unfit. How about you try the same for the converse and then maybe I'll listen, hmmm? :) And no "he's not good enough" doesnt cut it, especially when the way he bowled in the ODI's suggested otherwise.
what way he bowled in ODIs?
he had one good game, not surprisingly against bangladesh. bowled tripe and a half against australia, and started off in the same vein in the next game against b'desh before managing to pull it back towards the end of the game. not surprisingly he got left out after that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krishneelz said:
tooextracool do not be a tooextrafool tremlett is good just check his FC record its better than jones
And I lay odds nobody would care about FC records when chosing between the 2 of them.