• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Simon Jones is Unfit for the Final Test Who Would You Pick to Replace Him?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pedro Delgado said:
Couldn't agree more, and why change a succesful system by bringing in a bits 'n pieces player. Obviously neither of them are Jonah, but I'd rather keep the five-pronged attack and go with Tremors (as I am now calling him) rather than Colly.
My take is the same - if Jonah's not fit, go with Tremors (great nickname by the way). He's got to make his debut sometime, and a bouncy pitch at the Oval will at least give him some assistance. He's a fantastic bowler, and the Aussies showed in the first Test that they can be (occasionally) vulnerable to bounce as well as swing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
its totally between collingwood and tremlett essentially, depends if england really want to win, i would say picking tremlett would show their desire to actually win the match (although its a huge risk to debut him in such a match, and hes not bowling well at the moment), collingwood would seem like a negative mood to me as it would give england more of a chance of drawing the match, although colly does deserve a chance imo. What cannot happen is a recall for lewis or anderson, with any luck lewis will never play for england again as he simply isnt up to international standards, and anderson is well undercooked and needs more development.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
well he had bowled well throughout the last county season, although when he came to play for england it became apparent how he was well out of his depth, and that he had very little pace, i must say that when he played in the C&G final last year i thought he looked much faster than the 70mph dobber that he is.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
sledger said:
well he had bowled well throughout the last county season, although when he came to play for england it became apparent how he was well out of his depth, and that he had very little pace, i must say that when he played in the C&G final last year i thought he looked much faster than the 70mph dobber that he is.
I just can't see what they saw in him that plenty of bowlers five to eight years younger than he is don't have, that's all.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
none of them had the experience that lewis did though, that is the one factor that he had in his favour really.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The talk of Tremlett's form - I wonder how much of is it down to the fact he's been travelling up and down the country for the last 6 weeks and not had much time to train properly?

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
GladiatrsInBlue said:
I would ask Aleem Dar to appear for England in place of injured Simon Jones, just to turn Aussies blue :D
[sore loser comment]

And put him in the running for two consecutive Man of the Match awards? That's just greedy.

[/sore loser comment]

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
The talk of Tremlett's form - I wonder how much of is it down to the fact he's been travelling up and down the country for the last 6 weeks and not had much time to train properly?
Just read an interview with him, he said his first few games after being released by England left him "down" and he found that he wasn't performing to his usual standard. Apparantly he's working hard on his bowling in an effort to improve his pace/accuracy/variation et al.

He will be "ready" whenever the call comes, he says.

Good show Tremors.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Nedved's Fan said:
I think at the start of the year Tremlett would have gotten a go, but he's been pretty average for the last couple of months and I wouldn't risk him in such a big game. The other bowling option is Jon Lewis, but I cannot see them picking him ahead of Tremlett, as it is more of a Tremlett pitch and hes been ahead in the pecking order since the 1st test.

Collingwood has been in good form with the bat and would probably be fighting it out with Joyce if a batsmen is preferred - a distinct possibility as we only need to draw the Test. I also think someone like Collingwood bowling negative away swingers outside off isnt a bad tactic. When Bell bowled against Clarke i thought he was a bit unlucky not to get a wicket, they just can't help themselves and often have needless slashes outside off.

Opinions?
Pratt or Penny. These guys deserve a go in the run on side.

simmy

International Regular
Hard choice to make but I certainly think its only really between Collingwood and Tremlett.

My worry about "Tremors" is that he is disappointingly slow. Only bowls a touch over 80mph and really would love it if he came in from 6 foot 7 and hurried them.

AAAH cant wait!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Interesting how when Caddick said "I haven't given up hope of playing in the Ashes" everyone laughed, but now we're all disappointed that he's injured. It's a funny old game!
Sorry, but we're not. Folks who quote Caddick's figures in the final test in 2002/03 tend to keep quiet about the 9 tests against Aus before it in that series and 2001. Not that I think for a minute that Fletcher would pick him anyway. Or Gough. Or Cork. Let's not go back to the English thing of recycling old cricketers who are so far past their sellby it's just embarassing.

twctopcat

International Regular
simmy said:
Hard choice to make but I certainly think its only really between Collingwood and Tremlett.

My worry about "Tremors" is that he is disappointingly slow. Only bowls a touch over 80mph and really would love it if he came in from 6 foot 7 and hurried them.

AAAH cant wait!
He was 85/86mph in ODI's which was encouraging, over the course of a 5day match he may become a dobber though and his control isn't that exemplary.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Just read an interview with him, he said his first few games after being released by England left him "down" and he found that he wasn't performing to his usual standard. Apparantly he's working hard on his bowling in an effort to improve his pace/accuracy/variation et al.

He will be "ready" whenever the call comes, he says.

Good show Tremors.
Well, I hope he's right, although I'm not 100 % convinced he can just turn it on when needed in a game of this magnitude. I am a bit worried how short of alternatives we really are at this point. Maybe that won't be the case in a year or two when Tremlett, Anderson & maybe Plunkett are a bit more experienced. The other guy that no-one has mentioned is Kabir Ali (cue Marc spluttering into his keyboard) who would probably be no more of a risk than Tremlett or Anderson at this point.

Actually, the guy I really want to replace Jones is Harmison, whoever turns out to be the 5th bowler. It's about time he turned in a decent performance.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Well, I hope he's right, although I'm not 100 % convinced he can just turn it on when needed in a game of this magnitude. I am a bit worried how short of alternatives we really are at this point. Maybe that won't be the case in a year or two when Tremlett, Anderson & maybe Plunkett are a bit more experienced. The other guy that no-one has mentioned is Kabir Ali (cue Marc spluttering into his keyboard) who would probably be no more of a risk than Tremlett or Anderson at this point.

Actually, the guy I really want to replace Jones is Harmison, whoever turns out to be the 5th bowler. It's about time he turned in a decent performance.
Kabir Ali has 5 Test wickets from 1 Test at 27.19 - I always thought he was a little hard done by to be so far away from consideration for so long after a solid debut. The selectors could do worse.