• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Simon Jones is Unfit for the Final Test Who Would You Pick to Replace Him?

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
social said:
Caddick? You guys have to be kidding me.

Even if he were good enough, which he's not, that would fly totally in the face of the Eng selection policy of the past 2 years.
Not to mention giving the Aussie batsmen some easy runs....... :p

Tremlett would have to be the pick, surely. I did see some highlights of him bowling at Bangladesh in the ODI he played in...looked like a good bowler. Doesn't he play with Warne at Hampshire though?

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Tremlett would be peeved not to be selected though he can't even get onto the field as 12th man. Maybe LE is right and they'll sub Caddick in the 1st dig. He always bowls better in the 2nd.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Durham would be well annoyed if Collingwood got picked, hes Hussey's replacement as captain over there as they just lost him to the A tour.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince EWS said:
As far as I know, Tremlett hasnt been 12th man for any of the games.
He's been in the 12 named prior to the match though, I think that's what he's refering to. Personally if Anderson, Collingwood, etc. played it would act to me as a lack of confidence in Tremlett, if the selectors didn't have that confidence at the start of the series he shouldn't have been in the 12 to start with.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Somerset said:
He's been in the 12 named prior to the match though, I think that's what he's refering to. Personally if Anderson, Collingwood, etc. played it would act to me as a lack of confidence in Tremlett, if the selectors didn't have that confidence at the start of the series he shouldn't have been in the 12 to start with.
My decision to go for Collingwood isnt really based on Tremlett, its based on state of the series.

If Jones was fully fit, I'd just pick Colly over Hoggard or Giles. England need to make sure they dont lose this test. Whether they win or draw doesnt really matter.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The chance of Collingwood saving the test for England is so close to nil that it would be pointless to include him. If Australia bat first and make a massive score and England need to bat for three days, how much help is Collingwood going to be? Or if England bat and get knocked over for 200, how much help is he going to be with the ball if it's not swinging?

England have to aim to beat Australia, simple as that. If it doesn't rain, the match won't be a draw.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
The chance of Collingwood saving the test for England is so close to nil that it would be pointless to include him. If Australia bat first and make a massive score and England need to bat for three days, how much help is Collingwood going to be? Or if England bat and get knocked over for 200, how much help is he going to be with the ball if it's not swinging?

England have to aim to beat Australia, simple as that. If it doesn't rain, the match won't be a draw.
Couldn't agree more, and why change a succesful system by bringing in a bits 'n pieces player. Obviously neither of them are Jonah, but I'd rather keep the five-pronged attack and go with Tremors (as I am now calling him) rather than Colly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:

The odds of him saving the test are a lot greater than Tremlett doing so.

Have a word to the groundsman, stack the batting.

twctopcat

International Regular
Tremlett for me. Hayden said he was very awkward to face prior to the ashes. But then again that is saying much against Hayden..... :D

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The odds of him saving the test are a lot greater than Tremlett doing so.

Have a word to the groundsman, stack the batting.
Win the Ashes, lose respect and credibility.

People would remember England winning the Ashes for a far shorter period of time than they would playing for a draw by stacking the batting and flatting the pitch at the end of the most exciting series in decades. Remember; fame lasts 15 minutes. Infamy, well.............

As for who I'd pick, Tremlett. He's young, bowling well, quick and tall. Find a reason not to pick him.