• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian domestic season 2005-06

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The schedule for the Indian domestic season 2005-06 has been announced here. Railways against ROI will be a good, competitive match, though a seven-match series between the current full-strength Indian side (minus Kaif, JP Yadav) would do against a Central Zone/UP/Railways team. The Central team may win the series.

Duleep before Ranji? You've got to be joking. How do they know whom to pick for the Zonal sides? Moreover, you'll see the best, then the rest by such a schedule. Dumb. Even dumber to have Zimbabwe's A team as a foreign entrant.

The Ranji groupings are a bit odd, given that both teams promoted are in the same group. Group A (Mumbai, Railways, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Delhi, Bengal, Gujarat, TN) looks highly competitive, and there is no obvious relegation contender, but Bengal are not in the best of form these days. In Group B, Services are not likely to save too many matches, let alone win some, while Haryana and UP may prove to be a surprise package this season. Baroda rode on the heroics of Yusuf Pathan and Rajesh Pawar and maybe they will do so again, this time. Can Punjab build on their performance in the drawn final and win the trophy? Can Mumbai retain lost glory? Can Maharashtra create a few upsets with the ex-Mumbai frontliners now with them? Can Railways defend their title? Worth a watch.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its a shame the NZ 'A' side isn't playing in it anymore. I thought that was going to be a regular thing.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
The schedule for the Indian domestic season 2005-06 has been announced here. Railways against ROI will be a good, competitive match, though a seven-match series between the current full-strength Indian side (minus Kaif, JP Yadav) would do against a Central Zone/UP/Railways team. The Central team may win the series.

Duleep before Ranji? You've got to be joking. How do they know whom to pick for the Zonal sides? Moreover, you'll see the best, then the rest by such a schedule. Dumb. Even dumber to have Zimbabwe's A team as a foreign entrant.

The Ranji groupings are a bit odd, given that both teams promoted are in the same group. Group A (Mumbai, Railways, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Delhi, Bengal, Gujarat, TN) looks highly competitive, and there is no obvious relegation contender, but Bengal are not in the best of form these days. In Group B, Services are not likely to save too many matches, let alone win some, while Haryana and UP may prove to be a surprise package this season. Baroda rode on the heroics of Yusuf Pathan and Rajesh Pawar and maybe they will do so again, this time. Can Punjab build on their performance in the drawn final and win the trophy? Can Mumbai retain lost glory? Can Maharashtra create a few upsets with the ex-Mumbai frontliners now with them? Can Railways defend their title? Worth a watch.
As always it would be Mumbai,Railways,Punjab and Baroda will start as favourites.
UP and Maharashtra could be the dark horses.

Is it true. On what basis the Duleep Trophy team would be selected.

Top run getters. My prediction:

Dheeraj Jadhav
S Sriram
Amit Pagnis

Top wicket Takers
R Ramkumar
VR Singh
K Parida

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Look at this Mumbai XI-
  • VR Mane
  • Wasim Jaffer
  • Indulkar
  • Shetty
  • Mazumdar
  • Wilkin Mota (RM-change)
  • Ramesh Powar (OB)
  • AB Agarkar (RFM-new)
  • Manish Bangera (WK)
  • Wide open for a spinner
  • AM Salvi
Compare it with the all-new Maharashtra lineup-
  • Jadhav
  • Aphale
  • Abhijit Kale
  • HH Kanitkar
  • Dhruv Mohan
  • Sairaj Bahutule (LBG)
  • Khirid (RM-change)
  • Kulkarni (SLA)
  • Satbhai(wk)
  • Iqbal Siddique (RMF-new)
  • Munaf Patel (RF?-new)
Looks very even, doesn't it? This match will be worth a watch.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Its a shame the NZ 'A' side isn't playing in it anymore. I thought that was going to be a regular thing.
They've never come to India, but it wouldn't be too bad, as long as they're a reserve team and not a bunch of academy players.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tim said:
England 'A' played in it last year, too, I think. They did alright as well.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Barney Rubble said:
That was no A-team, more of an academy side. Jones and Pietersen did well, but the rest were dreadful.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Who do you think will be this seasons' heroes? My top 5:
  1. Joginder Sharma
  2. Amit Mishra
  3. Yusuf Pathan
  4. Suresh Raina
  5. Munaf Patel

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Some Twenty20 series is being shown on DD Sports, with a match played in Gwalior just ended now, between Lankan and Pakistani reserve teams. Suresh Perera (remember him? He's got a new hairdo) took 4 wickets to win the match.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, looks like inspite of Dalmiya's reservations, Twenty20 is here to stay here in India. About time we had a nationwide first class Twenty20 competition with good TV coverage.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Today's match was strange. Chasing a target of 170 against the young Lankans, an Indian team full of has-beens like Wassan, Amre, Khoda and Rahul Sanghvi won the match on the last ball!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
yeah, looks like inspite of Dalmiya's reservations, Twenty20 is here to stay here in India. About time we had a nationwide first class Twenty20 competition with good TV coverage.
The nationwide first-class 20-20 won't be too far, but don't expect good coverage if DD Sport is given the telecast rights. They rarely show the full scorecard, they don't show anything apart from that little bar at the bottom, and when they show player profile, they show 'ODI' stats of someone who has never played an ODI. Once, a ball was going to a fielder who was not visible- the camera caught a large sightscreen blocking him!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Atul Wassan's in blistering form, long after he retired from international cricket! What could have been.......

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
:huh:

That England A team lost both matches they played in the Duleep trophy.
They lost every game on tour, in fact, barring a game against a second string Tamil Nadu side.

However, Kevin Pietersen was outstanding for them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Unless Zimbabwe actually have an international series at the time, they wont actually be sending their A team. They will be sending a pretty much full-strength team, I'd say.

I think their A team could be better than their full strength team anyway. That shows you how bad the selection has been...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
jamesryfler said:
:huh:

That England A team lost both matches they played in the Duleep trophy.
They lost every game on tour, in fact, barring a game against a second string Tamil Nadu side.

However, Kevin Pietersen was outstanding for them.
One has to wonder if that will be a big help to him when he visits India with the English team next year. I think it will be and it is a smart move on the part of England to send their A team here a year or two before their senior team is touring India. If only the INdian admins were that smart.....

Salamuddin

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
One has to wonder if that will be a big help to him when he visits India with the English team next year. I think it will be and it is a smart move on the part of England to send their A team here a year or two before their senior team is touring India. If only the INdian admins were that smart.....

It will undoubtedly help Pietersen.

BTw, India A are scheduled to tour Australia (in July 2006) for the Northern Series.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
With Sachin, Dravid and Sehwag in super-series action, this is what the Irani ROI side should look like-
  • Jadhav
  • Gambhir
  • Laxman (C)
  • Ganguly
  • Yuvraj
  • KKD Karthik (WK)
  • Joginder Sharma (RMF)
  • Irfan (LFM)
  • Harbhajan (OB)
  • Kumble (LBG)
  • Zaheer (LFM)/VR Singh (RFM)
And this Railways selection shouldn't be tough-
  • Pagnis
  • Bangar (C,RMF-change)
  • Tejinder Pal Singh (SLA)
  • Yere Goud
  • Raja Ali
  • Khanolkar
  • JP Yadav (RM-new)
  • Sudhir Wankhede (WK)
  • Karthik (SLA)
  • Parida (OB)
  • Harvinder (RM)

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Pakistan,srilanka and india will play australia A in darwin in july next season,1 dayers + 4 dayers.
Any chance of india having any overseas players next season.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not sure. It is being contemplated. But our cricket season clashes with a number of other countries, esp. countries like Australia. So, can't see that being all that successful if it were brought in.