• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Dominance

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not only are the Aussies suffering in the Rugga, but in the cricket aswel. Accordind to Mark Waugh and millions of cricket fans around the world, Australia's dominance is at an end. However, one has to remember that every team goes through a rough patch- England's lasted 12 years, the West Indies are playing badly, India have played better, and South Africa has only just begun a reform under Greame Smith... Australia may not be dominant anymore, but I still predict that they will win close to 60% of their tests...

There are different forms of dominance. Australia were at one stage 16 points ahead of England on the ICC Test Rankings. If England ever get to number one, the second best team in the world (either South Africa or Australia haha) will never be more than 5 or 6 points behind them... That's assumimg that Australia give up their number one position... One series is not enough to break their lead.

P.S: Has everyone forgotton that South Africa are the only team to have taken the number one position from Australia on the rankings... AND... that South Africa beat England 4-1 in the ODIs earlier this year, whereas the Aussies could only draw with them!?

greg

International Debutant
Dean said:
Not only are the Aussies suffering in the Rugga, but in the cricket aswel. Accordind to Mark Waugh and millions of cricket fans around the world, Australia's dominance is at an end. However, one has to remember that every team goes through a rough patch- England's lasted 12 years, the West Indies are playing badly, India have played better, and South Africa has only just begun a reform under Greame Smith... Australia may not be dominant anymore, but I still predict that they will win close to 60% of their tests...

There are different forms of dominance. Australia were at one stage 16 points ahead of England on the ICC Test Rankings. If England ever get to number one, the second best team in the world (either South Africa or Australia haha) will never be more than 5 or 6 points behind them... That's assumimg that Australia give up their number one position... One series is not enough to break their lead.

P.S: Has everyone forgotton that South Africa are the only team to have taken the number one position from Australia on the rankings... AND... that South Africa beat England 4-1 in the ODIs earlier this year, whereas the Aussies could only draw with them!?
South Africa never took the no1 position under the current system

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just a point, but Australia actually beat England in the ODIs. England won two matches while Australia won three, there was a tie and a no result.

twctopcat

International Regular
World Dominance refers to the test arena, the most important and valued format of the game without a shadow of doubt. Aussies are still the best ODI team though, for the time being at least.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
World Dominance refers to the test arena, the most important and valued format of the game without a shadow of doubt. Aussies are still the best ODI team though, for the time being at least.
I wasn't saying anything about world dominance, merely pointing out that when he said that Australia couldn't beat England in the ODIs while South Africa did it was incorrect.

Anyway, even if Australia don't win at The Oval, I don't think England have exactly established themselves as the best team in the world yet. The rankings take into account more than one series for a reason, and if Australia go on to beat everyone over the next 18 months leading up to the next Ashes series, I think that will be England's chance to establish themselves as number 1. Obviously if Australia continue to struggle and England don't, it might change sooner than that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When it comes to a bid for world domination, Duncan Fletcher is your man. Has the definite look of a Bond villian. I can just imagine him in his leather chair, stroking his white cat as Geoff "Oddjob" Miller brings him the Oz XI for the 5th test,

"Ah, what a pity Mr Hohns...." :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
When it comes to a bid for world domination, Duncan Fletcher is your man. Has the definite look of a Bond villian. I can just imagine him in his leather chair, stroking his white cat as Geoff "Oddjob" Miller brings him the Oz XI for the 5th test,

"Ah, what a pity Mr Hohns...." :D
good one... :D although...oddjob was goldfinger's henchman, not blofeld's.....how is that for nitpicking? :D

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
You care about yawnion. That's it. You're officially gay
:blink: That's a statement I didn't expect from you?

Plus, he's South African. Expecting a Saffer to like league i's a bit like expecting a Norwegian to like cricket.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
:blink: That's a statement I didn't expect from you?
Really? No sarcasm there?

And League offers alot for South Africans. Just look at the great Tom Van Vollenhoven, St Helens' leading try scorer in the clubs history with 392 in 408 matches!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dean said:
Erm what relevance are ODIs?

Any Englishman will tell you that we're a rubbish ODI side.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think were in for (finally) a period where a no. of teams are capable of beating each other.

The dominant Aus and Windies teams were characterised by having 11 players that were all amongst the best in their respective positions.

Aus needs bowlers and changes to their batting line-up

Eng "only" have 5 world class players, some with potential, some ordinary, some unproven and 2 outright poor.

Other teams have potential mixed with aging superstars or never-will-bes.

Interesting times ahead for a nice change.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
social said:
I think were in for (finally) a period where a no. of teams are capable of beating each other.

The dominant Aus and Windies teams were characterised by having 11 players that were all amongst the best in their respective positions.

Aus needs bowlers and changes to their batting line-up

Eng "only" have 5 world class players, some with potential, some ordinary, some unproven and 2 outright poor.

Other teams have potential mixed with aging superstars or never-will-bes.

Interesting times ahead for a nice change.
I am excited to see a new look Aussie team.

Getting bored of these guys after 10 or so years! :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dean said:

Take it you dont like the Aussies too much :D I for one was slightly surprised when we loped to number one, having been "Cullinaned" just about every single time by them!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
Really? No sarcasm there?
Nope. Well, not the first sentence, but the last.

And League offers alot for South Africans. Just look at the great Tom Van Vollenhoven, St Helens' leading try scorer in the clubs history with 392 in 408 matches!!!
*notes he played union when he was signed to the Saints - and that the SA Rugby League team lost three of three matches at the last WC*