Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Dominance

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

World Dominance

Not only are the Aussies suffering in the Rugga, but in the cricket aswel. Accordind to Mark Waugh and millions of cricket fans around the world, Australia's dominance is at an end. However, one has to remember that every team goes through a rough patch- England's lasted 12 years, the West Indies are playing badly, India have played better, and South Africa has only just begun a reform under Greame Smith... Australia may not be dominant anymore, but I still predict that they will win close to 60% of their tests...

There are different forms of dominance. Australia were at one stage 16 points ahead of England on the ICC Test Rankings. If England ever get to number one, the second best team in the world (either South Africa or Australia haha) will never be more than 5 or 6 points behind them... That's assumimg that Australia give up their number one position... One series is not enough to break their lead.

P.S: Has everyone forgotton that South Africa are the only team to have taken the number one position from Australia on the rankings... AND... that South Africa beat England 4-1 in the ODIs earlier this year, whereas the Aussies could only draw with them!?

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    Not only are the Aussies suffering in the Rugga, but in the cricket aswel. Accordind to Mark Waugh and millions of cricket fans around the world, Australia's dominance is at an end. However, one has to remember that every team goes through a rough patch- England's lasted 12 years, the West Indies are playing badly, India have played better, and South Africa has only just begun a reform under Greame Smith... Australia may not be dominant anymore, but I still predict that they will win close to 60% of their tests...

There are different forms of dominance. Australia were at one stage 16 points ahead of England on the ICC Test Rankings. If England ever get to number one, the second best team in the world (either South Africa or Australia haha) will never be more than 5 or 6 points behind them... That's assumimg that Australia give up their number one position... One series is not enough to break their lead.

P.S: Has everyone forgotton that South Africa are the only team to have taken the number one position from Australia on the rankings... AND... that South Africa beat England 4-1 in the ODIs earlier this year, whereas the Aussies could only draw with them!?
    South Africa never took the no1 position under the current system

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Just a point, but Australia actually beat England in the ODIs. England won two matches while Australia won three, there was a tie and a no result.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    World Dominance refers to the test arena, the most important and valued format of the game without a shadow of doubt. Aussies are still the best ODI team though, for the time being at least.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    World Dominance refers to the test arena, the most important and valued format of the game without a shadow of doubt. Aussies are still the best ODI team though, for the time being at least.
    I wasn't saying anything about world dominance, merely pointing out that when he said that Australia couldn't beat England in the ODIs while South Africa did it was incorrect.

Anyway, even if Australia don't win at The Oval, I don't think England have exactly established themselves as the best team in the world yet. The rankings take into account more than one series for a reason, and if Australia go on to beat everyone over the next 18 months leading up to the next Ashes series, I think that will be England's chance to establish themselves as number 1. Obviously if Australia continue to struggle and England don't, it might change sooner than that.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    South Africa never took the no1 position under the current system

Yes They Did...

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Yes They Did...
    No, they didn't. The system was reformed shortly after SA topped the old system, and the ICC finally realised how bloody stupid it was.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

When it comes to a bid for world domination, Duncan Fletcher is your man. Has the definite look of a Bond villian. I can just imagine him in his leather chair, stroking his white cat as Geoff "Oddjob" Miller brings him the Oz XI for the 5th test,

"Ah, what a pity Mr Hohns...."
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Breakout Champion!
    Not only are the Aussies suffering in the Rugga
    You care about yawnion. That's it. You're officially gay

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    When it comes to a bid for world domination, Duncan Fletcher is your man. Has the definite look of a Bond villian. I can just imagine him in his leather chair, stroking his white cat as Geoff "Oddjob" Miller brings him the Oz XI for the 5th test,

"Ah, what a pity Mr Hohns...."
    good one... although...oddjob was goldfinger's henchman, not blofeld's.....how is that for nitpicking?
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    You care about yawnion. That's it. You're officially gay
    That's a statement I didn't expect from you?

Plus, he's South African. Expecting a Saffer to like league i's a bit like expecting a Norwegian to like cricket.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    That's a statement I didn't expect from you?
    Really? No sarcasm there?

And League offers alot for South Africans. Just look at the great Tom Van Vollenhoven, St Helens' leading try scorer in the clubs history with 392 in 408 matches!!!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Erm what relevance are ODIs?

Any Englishman will tell you that we're a rubbish ODI side.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    good one... although...oddjob was goldfinger's henchman, not blofeld's.....how is that for nitpicking?
    Henry Blofeld?!

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Henry Blofeld?!
    ernst stavro, not henry...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information