• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who really cares about the Ponting/Katich beat-up ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
The Fifth test will come around.......Ponting will hit a ton, McGrath and Warney will run through the poms, it'll be 2-all, the Ashes will stay where they belong.

The status quo will remain (unless it rains of course)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
sqwerty said:
yep but it's a pain in the **** trawling through 8000 pages to find something
You could have just posted this on the last page of the Official thread. We don't need a new thread every time you wish to reiterate that Australia will retain the Ashes, or are unlucky not to be ahead, or that England are overrated, etc.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
vic_orthdox said:
You could have just posted this on the last page of the Official thread. We don't need a new thread every time you wish to reiterate that Australia will retain the Ashes, or are unlucky not to be ahead, or that England are overrated, etc.

I felt that it was an extremely important point and worthy of its own thread just like my other ones that talk about Australia retaining the ashes, Australia being unlucky and that England are overrated..........hang on.......I didn't start one saying England are overrated.......ok - new thread

magsi23

U19 Debutant
sqwerty said:
The Fifth test will come around.......Ponting will hit a ton, McGrath and Warney will run through the poms, it'll be 2-all, the Ashes will stay where they belong.

1 word

DREAM ON

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia have been playing poorly, but magsi23 you're setting yourself up big time if Australia do come back in the next test. They're the last side you'd write off in a series.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
sqwerty said:

I respect your dreams but just in case you havent noticed, this is new England who you have not dominated 1 single day thoughout the series except the 1st test.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
sqwerty said:

Something on those lines COULD happen, but then again, it may not.

It'll be fun finding out. :)

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Tim said:
Australia have been playing poorly, but magsi23 you're setting yourself up big time if Australia do come back in the next test. They're the last side you'd write off in a series.

Well i know that, but i see different aussie side then we have in past 10 years or so, i have seen panic in aussie camp that i havent seen for long long time.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
sqwerty said:

If that's anything like as accurate as your previous prediction...

Woo hoo 3-1, 3-1

( :p )

To tell the truth, I've been expecting SOME sort of reaction for a month. I guess the first thing Australia need to do this series is actually turn up for the first 2 days (they even had a lie-in at Lord's)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
sqwerty said:

hehe i wish it were that simple

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
To tell the truth, I've been expecting SOME sort of reaction for a month. I guess the first thing Australia need to do this series is actually turn up for the first 2 days (they even had a lie-in at Lord's)

so true, for the last 3 tests Australia has massively outplayed england for the last 1.5 innings of the match, unfortunatley England have been vastly superior for the first 2.5

cameeel

International Captain
Surely Australia can't fail for the 4th test in a row, it's still a side with stars like Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist, Ponting, and um.. Tait in it. bring on 2-2

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As age pointed out, Australia hasn't failed totally. If Australia had managed to go to stumps a couple of wickets better than they did on day 2 (maybe Ponting and Martyn's wickets? ;)) given the way they played on days 3 and 4 it could have been a different result.

Australia should take heart from the way they've come back at the end of the each game and realise they just need a good start. Ponting really needs to win the toss at the oval and bat. England will find batting much more difficult when they're facing a big total, just as Australia have. England have already crumbled chasing a couple of times in the series.

If the weather stays good, I'd expect a 2-2 result.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
As age pointed out, Australia hasn't failed totally. If Australia had managed to go to stumps a couple of wickets better than they did on day 2 (maybe Ponting and Martyn's wickets? ;)) given the way they played on days 3 and 4 it could have been a different result.

Australia should take heart from the way they've come back at the end of the each game and realise they just need a good start. Ponting really needs to win the toss at the oval and bat. England will find batting much more difficult when they're facing a big total, just as Australia have. England have already crumbled chasing a couple of times in the series.

If the weather stays good, I'd expect a 2-2 result.
I agree with everything you say there, not surprising as I usually do, except for the 2-2- prediction. I don't think it's a given that Australia will make a big total even if they bat first.

So far this summer we have seen each of the English bowlers at their best, apart from one. We've seen Flintoff right on the mark at Edgbaston, we've seen Jones reversing all over the place at Old Trafford, we've seen Hoggard bowling banana-balls in the first innings at Trent Bridge, and we've seen Giles grabbing crucial wickets in each match aside from Lord's, but we haven't seen Harmison yet. He got five-for at Lord's, but he wasn't anything close to his best. Harmy has yet to "come to the party" as Tony Greig would say. He's been bowling well, but conditions haven't suited him.

If the Oval track is a bouncy one as it usually is, we may see the real Harmison. The one that bowls 92mph length balls that shatter arm-guards and break fingers, and bouncers that draw blood. The one that took 7-12 in the West Indies, and who terrorised the top order in the one-dayers. All it would take is one magic first-innings spell from Hurricane Harmison and Australia's Ashes hopes will be down the pan, and I can't help thinking that this series wouldn't be complete without him proving his quality.

I'm not saying it's going to happen - just that it is getting more likely as the series goes on, and if I was an Aussie batsman, I'd start worrying the moment one rears up to chest height at the Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.