• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whos the Best Umpire?

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Get off your parochial high horse. Practically everyone agrees Taufel is a brilliant umpire, including the ICC who gave him the award last year.

Taufel and Dar are clearly the best. Dar made an absolute shocker for Katich though, worst decision in some time.

Bowden is sometimes poor but on his day is absolutely flawless. He was simply brilliant in the third Ashes test on the final day.
Didn't read any high horses in that post. Just an observation that Dar is apparently useless because of two bad decisions in one test at Trent Bridge, whereas Taufel is great irrespective of having made several just as bad decisions in another test at Trent Bridge.

In truth they're both very good and Trent Bridge is a very difficult ground to umpire at.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think with Taufel, Australians might have a slightly - I'm not saying he isn't good - inflated opinion of him, because we don't see him make any mistakes.

Mainly due to the fact that we don't see him at any Test matches. :sleep:

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Bottom line is no umpire in the world has never given a wrong decsion whether its Dar, Taufel, Bowden i have seen all giving bad decsions from time to time, Its not the easiest job in the world.

Umpires are humans like us, its alot easier to critisise them on this forum but its alot harder when you are standing in the middle.

Has there ever been an Umpire whos didnt give shocking decsions in their career? Let it be, Dicky Bird, David Shepard or anyone? I certainly havent seen one

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Didn't Taufel get some "T-awful" headlines from the Brit tabloids last summer, or was I imagining that?

As for umpiring, I've only made two particularly bad ones this year, I think... (caught behinds, pad and forearm respectively).

chalky

International Debutant
Always liked Dave Orchard from South Africa couldn't count to six sometimes but got all the important decisions right. Don't know if he is still umpiring though. Peter Willey is pretty good aswell as is Daryl Hair.

B C Cooray & Javed Akthar have to be the worst (honourable mentions to Mervin Kitchen & Daryl Harper).

Anyone know if Harper is umpiring in any of Englands winter tests he was outstanding for England in Sri Lanka last time :D

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
greg said:
Didn't read any high horses in that post. Just an observation that Dar is apparently useless because of two bad decisions in one test at Trent Bridge, whereas Taufel is great irrespective of having made several just as bad decisions in another test at Trent Bridge.

In truth they're both very good and Trent Bridge is a very difficult ground to umpire at.
Got it in one Greg - it's a comment on over-reactions...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chalky said:
Always liked Dave Orchard from South Africa couldn't count to six sometimes but got all the important decisions right. Don't know if he is still umpiring though.
Saw him umpire an institute game with Peter Parker in Queensland last year.

OZOZ

Cricket Spectator
kwek said:
Dar, and im very impressed by Bowden lately :)
Is this some kind of Dar fan's website???

Never seen so many fan's of an incompetent man before in my life!

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
OZOZ said:

..or perhaps people have a memory that extends beyond the previous Test.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
OZOZ said:

All umps make mistakes, even Bird did.

Taufel and Dar remain consistantly the best IMO.