• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whos the Best Umpire?

Choora

State Regular
Slats4ever said:
alem's hopeless. he's got a lot of maturing to do..

Those words are more suited for Australian team fans and their team's skipper.

AS far as Aleem is concerned, he's a good umpire, no doubt he made a mistake, but if one or two mistakes makes an umpire hopeless, than each and every umpire can be branded hopeless.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
nah my major concern with Dar arised last summer when he came to Australia. Unfortunately Choora your desire to claim that I'm only saying it cos it's convenient now doesn't really stand up as 'I think he's been alright on the Ashes tour.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Bucknor and Asoka de Silva are not too bad, but the local umpires from WI and SL are dreadful. Eddie Nicholls and Billy Doctrove had the aid of technology as TV umpires, but made one goof-up too many. And who can forget Bad Call Cooray and Peter 'Butcher' Manuel?

The best umpire in action now has to be Simon Taufel. He's not as lazy as other umpires who often depend on that man in the box for a decision- he watches closely and gives every decision on his own, on what he has seen.

Choora

State Regular
Slats4ever said:
nah my major concern with Dar arised last summer when he came to Australia. Unfortunately Choora your desire to claim that I'm only saying it cos it's convenient now doesn't really stand up as 'I think he's been alright on the Ashes tour.
If he did terrible the last time around(if atall that's true) but has done fine on the Ashes tour then how can he been branded as "hopeless"????

Choora

State Regular
Slats4ever said:
probably hopeless was the wrong word. but the worst test umpire.
LOL!! If he's worst then how would you describe Bucknor???

Dar is a good umpire, not the best but certainly good. I can't remember the names of the Australian umpires that stood on the matches played between Pak and Aus (ODI). In my honest opinion those were probably the worst in the game.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i'm not one for basing my decisions on one bad series, rather how they've gone in their whole career, how experienced they are and how I feel they'll go in the future.

Bucknor's had a great history, and will be around for a few more years. Dar started poorly, has gone ok this series but still has a lot to learn.

Woah dude settle down. Do you have posters of Dar on your wall or something.

deeps

International 12th Man
Best would have to be Billy Bowden. He gets alot of decisions right, unfortunately his eccentric style of umpiring has overshadowed his good umpiring.

Simon Taufel is also a very good umpire, as is Aleem Dar. But i Think both Billy Bowden and Simon Taufel are a cut above the rest.

Rudi Koertzon and Aleem Dar would be the next best two

Bucknor has got to be possibly the worst going around atm

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interesting so many Aussies saying Dar is useless and Taufel great.

I seem to remember Taufel making a few shockers at Trent Bridge last year...

Choora

State Regular
Slats4ever said:
i'm not one for basing my decisions on one bad series, rather how they've gone in their whole career, how experienced they are and how I feel they'll go in the future.

Bucknor's had a great history, and will be around for a few more years. Dar started poorly, has gone ok this series but still has a lot to learn.

Woah dude settle down. Do you have posters of Dar on your wall or something.
When someone bash a good performer as hopeless then one should expect some response as sane elements exists everywehere.I'm not a fan of Dar on anything, but i find it hard to believe that ppl can bash somone severely without any sound reason.

Bucknor has made shocking decisions over the years, and is continuing to do so.It doesn't matter as to how he started and how well he did in his initial years, over the past few years Bucknor has been very poor.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
alem's hopeless. he's got a lot of maturing to do..

Steve Randell.
I did think Randell's hands-on approach went a little too far at times...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:

What umpire doesn't have shockers from time to time?? Thats why I'm pro technology whenever it is possible....If its inconclusive it goes back to the umps call. I'm sick of wrong decisions in cricket and I don't believe ICC stats of around 90% of correct decisions.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

Get off your parochial high horse. Practically everyone agrees Taufel is a brilliant umpire, including the ICC who gave him the award last year.

Taufel and Dar are clearly the best. Dar made an absolute shocker for Katich though, worst decision in some time.

Bowden is sometimes poor but on his day is absolutely flawless. He was simply brilliant in the third Ashes test on the final day.

Last edited: