• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoff Boycott is a pain in the arrrrrrse !

BoyBrumby

Englishman
zinzan12 said:
I think he's brilliant. The fact he talks himself up is just part of his witty charm. He's actually my favourite of the channel 4 team.
I think he's actually bordering on a national treasure now. He commentates much as he batted: with massive self-belief! :D

One of the highlights of the summer for me has been Slater's mischievous teasing of Sir Geoffrey, which the the great man bats away like so many line-and-length deliveries! I don't think anything could puncture his massive home-spun self-regard, which is both his biggest strength & (conversely) his biggest weakness both as commentator & player!

Majin

International Debutant
Yep, definitly agree with the majority on this one, Sir Geoffrey is an absolute king, and he's funny as hell. Cracks me up all the time. I love the way he commentates, especally the way he says whatever the hell he wants, no matter how offensive people might find it. And yeah, he has an immense knowledge of the game and he knows what he's talking about.

As for the others, Benaud is legend, and Slats is the man, he's a great commentator. Tony Greig can get on my nerves sometimes, but others He's ok. Atherton is nothing special, Mark Nicholas is eloquent, but he's a bit of a tit.

I still think Michael Holding has the most godly commentator voice, though.

Naveed

Cricket Spectator
aussie said:
dont this de marc he's my favourite
Marc is like the batsman who goes for shot a ball.......Marc tries to give a classic line everytime he opens his mouth. He is just to hollywood.....trying to hard to impress when he would do better to have a realistic and natural approach as Boyc or Benaud.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Boycott's alright, I don't mind most of the Channel 4 team, Tony Greig being the only exception. I really don't like him at all.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sqwerty said:
If he was playing now he'd be laughed off the field.
Closest thing in recent modern cricket was Mark Richardson.

Son't remember him being laughed off the field, in fact I seem to remember him getting a lot of praise from a lot of people.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Boycott is definitely my favourite of the Channel 4 team.

He can be tongue in cheek at times, but his analysis is fantastic and if you listen carefully, you are bound to learn a thing or two about cricket.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
He's got somekind of crystal ball.

"I think Warne will attack Giles here"

Warne walks down the pitch, straight over Spain's head for 4.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
about time someone said this, ive had enough of him...
worst.commentator.ever
No doubt this will be the next whinge about why the Ashes are slipping away...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Naveed said:
Marc is like the batsman who goes for shot a ball.......Marc tries to give a classic line everytime he opens his mouth. He is just to hollywood.....trying to hard to impress when he would do better to have a realistic and natural approach as Boyc or Benaud.
maybe so but still i've always liked him with his nice soft acsent :D , & honestly 90% of Mark's comments are classic....

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
No doubt this will be the next whinge about why the Ashes are slipping away...
yeh, lets blame a commentator for us losing, sounds like something england have been doing for the past 16 years...

he is easily the worst commentator of any of the channel 4 lot, i cant say ive heard him say too many interesting observations in the test series so far...

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
If we look at the last Ashes thread, we can see that the Pommies from round then (even after having a weakened attack) don't go blaming, the pitch, the umpires, the stumps, the sub fielders, the ball, the fielders, the umpires, the gods, the umpires, the commentators, the injuries(not as much anyway), the umpires, the spectators, the pitch, the sub-fielders, the length of the pitch, the umpires, the forum members, the umpires, the amount of players the other team has, the umpires, the bladders, the umpires, the ball and finally the umpires.

They just addmitted, the other side was better.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Well, he's a blowhard and likely a wife-beater. But he's a pretty good commentator. I read somewhere he had very few friends in the cricket world, but he's found a good niche and he has some talent doing it. In some ways the role he fills is somewhat like a masculine Bill Lawry.

My faves on the team are Athers and Slats. Though I'll always love Grieggy, for various reasons.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
yeh, lets blame a commentator for us losing, sounds like something england have been doing for the past 16 years...

he is easily the worst commentator of any of the channel 4 lot, i cant say ive heard him say too many interesting observations in the test series so far...
gee Nicholas has no frenz on CW i'm his only fan.....

Josh

International Regular
Boycott has actually overtaken Grieg as my most hated commentator. The guy is as biased as all hell and he talks rubbish half the time and his accent makes me want to jump into the commentry box and strangle him to death.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
sqwerty said:
The way he talks in the commentary box, you'd think he was the greatest cricketer of all time and we all loved watching him

If he was playing now he'd be laughed off the field.

Get him out of the commentary box
If he were playing now and Australian, he'd be opening the batting with Langer and Australia would probably have been 2-1 up by now, because he could play swing and didn't throw it away every time he got into double figures.

THAT's how good Geoff Boycott was.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
If he were playing now and Australian, he'd be opening the batting with Langer and Australia would probably have been 2-1 up by now, because he could play swing and didn't throw it away every time he got into double figures.

THAT's how good Geoff Boycott was.
He'd be opening with Straussy and have Tresco at 4 for me if he were playing now for England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Slow Love™ said:
Well, he's a blowhard and likely a wife-beater. But he's a pretty good commentator. I read somewhere he had very few friends in the cricket world, but he's found a good niche and he has some talent doing it. In some ways the role he fills is somewhat like a masculine Bill Lawry.

My faves on the team are Athers and Slats. Though I'll always love Grieggy, for various reasons.
To see Sir Geoffrey in all his glory I'd recommend Boycs by Leo McKinstry. He's an extremely complex character, but the one trait everyone agrees on is his overbearing selfishness.

The wife-beating is, in probability, not true tho. Moore was probably inspired to take him to court because he'd refused to cough up the necessary (£35k is the figure IIRC) to prop up her ailing business. After the incident they continued to sleep in the same bed &, as Boycott said in his own inimitable way,

"we had ***, if you want to be blunt."

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
broncoman said:

You were a contributing member of CW when you slaughtered us in the last Ashes contest in your prison yard... I mean back yard.

You actually were one who was renowned for talking a lot of sense then too.

What happened?