Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 90

Thread: Aussies outplayed by England or umpires?

  1. #1
    U19 Cricketer sqwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    452

    Aussies outplayed by England or umpires?

    Never have I seen a series more heavily affected by poor umpiring than this one.
    A significant reason England are being seen to have outplayed the Aussies is because they have saved by the umpires to a huge degree.

    I've always maintained Bucknor is about the most overrrated official in sport and that's only been proven in this series.

    If ever an umpire was one to be swayed by home town crowds this guy takes the cake. Big appeal, get the crowd behind you and Bucknor will buckle every time. Half the time I reckon he doesn't even know why the players are appealing (look at that decision he made in the last test when he looked to the square leg umpire before firing the bloke). I'm not saying Bucknor is biased....just incompetent.

    Look at not only how many POOR LBW decisions have been given against the Aussies in this series as well as how many GOOD ones England have received. Warne has fair dinkum missed out on half a dozen plumb decisions that would have been game-turning

    These decisions have had an ENORMOUS influence on this tight contest despite what anyone thinks.

    I'm not saying Australia deserve to be up in the series (despite what I've sarcastically said in other posts) or that England have played badly......and I also know that you will always get home town decisions against you wherever you play (even in Australia). But what I AM saying is that the amount of poor decisions in favour of England in this series is absolutely absurd.

    Add to the fact that in many cases the England batsmen helped by these decisions have gone on and made big scores you just can't help but wonder what might have happened with a level playing field.

    Having said all that please don't follow this up with all those 'sour grapes' type of accusations. I've played enough cricket around the world to know what to expect. I still think this is the greatest series I've ever seen and actually couldn't give a stuff if Australia lose the ashes after all these years.

    Good luck to England and bring on the Oval.

    Get well McGrath......and Jones.

  2. #2
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    79
    Australia has been thoroughly outplayed by the Poms in the last 3 test matches, no question.

  3. #3
    U19 Cricketer sqwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_M
    Australia has been thoroughly outplayed by the Poms in the last 3 test matches, no question.
    Sorry, I don't understand this 'thoroughly outplayed' business that everyone goes on about.

    The results were close. Doesn't matter how you get to the final score. If you have been outplayed but you win it means you deserve to.

    It doesn't matter if you outplay a side for 4 days and then get hammered on the fifth and lose. The scoreline at the end of the day is what counts.

    Australia won the first test comfortably. The next 3 were nailbiters and the umpiring decisions were critical.

    It's naive to think just because you 'outplay' a side for 4 of 5 days in test cricket that you deserve to win.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    cant disagree with your views much here mate, but regardless of the decisions England have outplayed Australia in the last 3 test no doubt


  5. #5
    All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In Your House, With A Knife!
    Posts
    2,300
    There is a difference between outplayed and squeaking through.

    Test 1: Australia flogs it in.
    Test 2: England sqeaks through.
    Test 3: Drawn, could have gone either way.
    Test 4: England, squeak and crawl over line.

    Outplay my ***.

  6. #6
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    79
    Paid The Umpire,

    Australia haven't been in the last 3 test matches, its been England's inability to finish the job off that's kept them alive.

  7. #7
    All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In Your House, With A Knife!
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_M
    Paid The Umpire,

    Australia haven't been in the last 3 test matches, its been England's inability to finish the job off that's kept them alive.
    Doesn't that mean that England haven't outplayed the Aussies.

  8. #8
    U19 Debutant magsi23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by sqwerty
    Never have I seen a series more heavily affected by poor umpiring than this one.
    A significant reason England are being seen to have outplayed the Aussies is because they have saved by the umpires to a huge degree.

    I've always maintained Bucknor is about the most overrrated official in sport and that's only been proven in this series.



    Get well McGrath......and Jones.

    You are really having a laugh right? well i can understand its a bitter pill to swallow but no need to take on umpires

  9. #9
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    79
    England have been getting into commanding positions but have struggled to finish them off, of course they've outplayed them only the most bias Australian supporter can deny that.

  10. #10
    All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In Your House, With A Knife!
    Posts
    2,300
    I'll say this. You have deserved to be leading, or drawing at worst. But you haven't been winning easily, infact if you didn't get a few dodgy LBW's in fact a lot of them you would have had the following results... 1-1 and the 4th Test would be still on.

  11. #11
    U19 Cricketer sqwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_M
    England have been getting into commanding positions but have struggled to finish them off, of course they've outplayed them only the most bias Australian supporter can deny that.
    Depends how you define it. 'Finishing them off' as you say is just as important as setting a good first innings total. In fact it's more important. Yes Australia have been under the hammer after the first innings in the last 3 matches.....but England have been under the hammer when it counts (ie. at the business end in the second innings).

    So if you get hammered in the first innings (as Australia has been) and you finish over the top of the opposition have you been outplayed in a drawn match?

    It would be fair to say Australia outplayed England in the second test if they scored 3 more runs at the end despite what happened on the first 4 days. As it turns out they didn't...but it was close.

    Like I've said 1000 times before it doesn't matter if you win the first 4 days, if you lose the match you've been outplayed.

    As I see it Australia clearly outplayed England in the first test
    England only just outplayed Australia in the 2nd and 4th tests
    The 3rd test was even.

    I couldn't give a stuff if one side scored 200,300,400 more than the other in the first innings. It's the score at the end that counts.....afterall test cricket is a 4 innings contest.

    Having said all that....England are 2-1 up and have outplayed Australia in one more test match......just.

    This series is closer than everyone might suggest and that's why it's going down to the wire.
    Last edited by sqwerty; 28-08-2005 at 08:40 PM.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    The only test in which the umpiring has significantly impacted on the result is the most recent one, simply because three clearly wrong lbw calls at crucial stages might have changed things a bit. Regardless, umpiring decisions even out and you can't blame them for everything.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  13. #13
    State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    1,351
    It just seems a fact of life that the home side gets the rub of the green when it comes to umpiring decisions. There were some costly shockers in this game but Australia has had its fair share at home in the last few years. It all evens out. It's just frustrating at the time.

  14. #14
    International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,043
    england have outplayed the aussies in the last three tests, simple as that.

  15. #15
    Banned Shounak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    The only test in which the umpiring has significantly impacted on the result is the most recent one
    It could be argued that Kasper's bad caught behind decision significantly impacted on the result of the match. Mind you, that decision looked very out to me, until I saw slow mo replays.

    Not using the third umpire is like walking, when you own a garage full of cars..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Move over Aussies, India is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By MrPerko in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 971
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 04:56 PM
  2. Replies: 76
    Last Post: 13-12-2004, 11:20 AM
  3. Is Pakistan Good Enough To Beat Aussie's
    By cricket player in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:58 AM
  4. Indian attack on par with Aussies says Cairns and Fleming
    By wahindiawah in forum World Cup 2003
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 20-03-2003, 07:34 PM
  5. Aussies in England 2003
    By jf2001 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-11-2002, 03:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •