• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussies outplayed by England or umpires?

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Never have I seen a series more heavily affected by poor umpiring than this one.
A significant reason England are being seen to have outplayed the Aussies is because they have saved by the umpires to a huge degree.

I've always maintained Bucknor is about the most overrrated official in sport and that's only been proven in this series.

If ever an umpire was one to be swayed by home town crowds this guy takes the cake. Big appeal, get the crowd behind you and Bucknor will buckle every time. Half the time I reckon he doesn't even know why the players are appealing (look at that decision he made in the last test when he looked to the square leg umpire before firing the bloke). I'm not saying Bucknor is biased....just incompetent.

Look at not only how many POOR LBW decisions have been given against the Aussies in this series as well as how many GOOD ones England have received. Warne has fair dinkum missed out on half a dozen plumb decisions that would have been game-turning

These decisions have had an ENORMOUS influence on this tight contest despite what anyone thinks.

I'm not saying Australia deserve to be up in the series (despite what I've sarcastically said in other posts) or that England have played badly......and I also know that you will always get home town decisions against you wherever you play (even in Australia). But what I AM saying is that the amount of poor decisions in favour of England in this series is absolutely absurd.

Add to the fact that in many cases the England batsmen helped by these decisions have gone on and made big scores you just can't help but wonder what might have happened with a level playing field.

Having said all that please don't follow this up with all those 'sour grapes' type of accusations. I've played enough cricket around the world to know what to expect. I still think this is the greatest series I've ever seen and actually couldn't give a stuff if Australia lose the ashes after all these years.

Good luck to England and bring on the Oval.

Get well McGrath......and Jones.

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Australia has been thoroughly outplayed by the Poms in the last 3 test matches, no question.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Jason_M said:
Australia has been thoroughly outplayed by the Poms in the last 3 test matches, no question.
Sorry, I don't understand this 'thoroughly outplayed' business that everyone goes on about.

The results were close. Doesn't matter how you get to the final score. If you have been outplayed but you win it means you deserve to.

It doesn't matter if you outplay a side for 4 days and then get hammered on the fifth and lose. The scoreline at the end of the day is what counts.

Australia won the first test comfortably. The next 3 were nailbiters and the umpiring decisions were critical.

It's naive to think just because you 'outplay' a side for 4 of 5 days in test cricket that you deserve to win.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cant disagree with your views much here mate, but regardless of the decisions England have outplayed Australia in the last 3 test no doubt

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
There is a difference between outplayed and squeaking through.

Test 1: Australia flogs it in.
Test 2: England sqeaks through.
Test 3: Drawn, could have gone either way.
Test 4: England, squeak and crawl over line.

Outplay my ***.

Jason_M

Paid The Umpire,

Australia haven't been in the last 3 test matches, its been England's inability to finish the job off that's kept them alive.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Jason_M said:
Paid The Umpire,

Australia haven't been in the last 3 test matches, its been England's inability to finish the job off that's kept them alive.
Doesn't that mean that England haven't outplayed the Aussies.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
sqwerty said:
Never have I seen a series more heavily affected by poor umpiring than this one.
A significant reason England are being seen to have outplayed the Aussies is because they have saved by the umpires to a huge degree.

I've always maintained Bucknor is about the most overrrated official in sport and that's only been proven in this series.

Get well McGrath......and Jones.

You are really having a laugh right? well i can understand its a bitter pill to swallow but no need to take on umpires

Jason_M

England have been getting into commanding positions but have struggled to finish them off, of course they've outplayed them only the most bias Australian supporter can deny that.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
I'll say this. You have deserved to be leading, or drawing at worst. But you haven't been winning easily, infact if you didn't get a few dodgy LBW's in fact a lot of them you would have had the following results... 1-1 and the 4th Test would be still on.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Jason_M said:
England have been getting into commanding positions but have struggled to finish them off, of course they've outplayed them only the most bias Australian supporter can deny that.
Depends how you define it. 'Finishing them off' as you say is just as important as setting a good first innings total. In fact it's more important. Yes Australia have been under the hammer after the first innings in the last 3 matches.....but England have been under the hammer when it counts (ie. at the business end in the second innings).

So if you get hammered in the first innings (as Australia has been) and you finish over the top of the opposition have you been outplayed in a drawn match?

It would be fair to say Australia outplayed England in the second test if they scored 3 more runs at the end despite what happened on the first 4 days. As it turns out they didn't...but it was close.

Like I've said 1000 times before it doesn't matter if you win the first 4 days, if you lose the match you've been outplayed.

As I see it Australia clearly outplayed England in the first test
England only just outplayed Australia in the 2nd and 4th tests
The 3rd test was even.

I couldn't give a stuff if one side scored 200,300,400 more than the other in the first innings. It's the score at the end that counts.....afterall test cricket is a 4 innings contest.

Having said all that....England are 2-1 up and have outplayed Australia in one more test match......just.

This series is closer than everyone might suggest and that's why it's going down to the wire.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The only test in which the umpiring has significantly impacted on the result is the most recent one, simply because three clearly wrong lbw calls at crucial stages might have changed things a bit. Regardless, umpiring decisions even out and you can't blame them for everything.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
It just seems a fact of life that the home side gets the rub of the green when it comes to umpiring decisions. There were some costly shockers in this game but Australia has had its fair share at home in the last few years. It all evens out. It's just frustrating at the time.

Shounak

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
The only test in which the umpiring has significantly impacted on the result is the most recent one
It could be argued that Kasper's bad caught behind decision significantly impacted on the result of the match. Mind you, that decision looked very out to me, until I saw slow mo replays.

Not using the third umpire is like walking, when you own a garage full of cars..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
england have outplayed the aussies in the last three tests, simple as that.
Except the first test where Australia took a small ten run first innings lead, England have outscored Australia by 116 runs on the first innings score in the series (by 167 if you consider only the last three tests). Three times have England crossed 400 (last 3 games) while Australia' best efforts in the entire series have been two scores barely crossing the 300 mark and another two either side of 200.

On the other hand Australia have outscored England in the second innings by 131 runs per 10 wickets.

The first stat is what makes England dominate most of the test (at least the last three) with Australia trying to catch up and the second is what makes the final outcome appear much closer than the first 3-4 days look like.

Thats all there is to it. England dominating most of the game and Australia fighting back towards the end as England falter at the winning post.

tooextracool

International Coach
shounak said:
It could be argued that Kasper's bad caught behind decision significantly impacted on the result of the match. Mind you, that decision looked very out to me, until I saw slow mo replays.
how many times will people keep saying this, despite the fact that kaspa was clearly out a lot before that decision was actually made?
and another thing,i'd be shocked if anybody on the planet would have given that not out without the benefit of replays.

tooextracool

International Coach
Paid The Umpire said:
There is a difference between outplayed and squeaking through.

Test 1: Australia flogs it in.
Test 2: England sqeaks through.
Test 3: Drawn, could have gone either way.
Test 4: England, squeak and crawl over line.

Outplay my ***.
how in the world, the 3rd test could have gone either way i'll never know.
say whatever you want but at no point in these last 3 test matches have australia been in a better position.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
England have played better than Australia and they deserve to be 2-1 up in this series. Umpiring is the same for both teams. It is not England's fault that Warne and Ponting and Hayden appeal for anything and everything and it costs them some close decisions, simply because the umpire is aware of their habit of appealing zealously for simple not outs.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
how in the world, the 3rd test could have gone either way i'll never know.
say whatever you want but at no point in these last 3 test matches have australia been in a better position.
Yes.

And the fact is that Australia celeberated escaping with a draw in the third test and would surely have done the same in the other two if it was possible.