Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wickets/Runs vs Runs/Wickets

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar

Wickets/Runs vs Runs/Wickets

Why is the notation for writing the team score different in Australia? As far as I know, all other Test (I'm not sure about NZ) nations write their scores as say.. 129/7, whereas here we write it as 7/129...Does anyone know why this is so?
    Last edited by Dasa; 28-08-2005 at 09:58 PM.

Does it matter? it is only confusing for the first 10 runs then it is smooth sailing.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Of course it doesn't matter. I'm just interested in how (and why) it came about that the different notation was used.

Probably a bit like why the horses run in different directions around the racetracks in Melbourne as to what they do in Sydney. Australia just thinking of another way to thumb the custodians of the game, a "We'll do things our way" approach.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Probably a bit like why the horses run in different directions around the racetracks in Melbourne as to what they do in Sydney. Australia just thinking of another way to thumb the custodians of the game, a "We'll do things our way" approach.
    It was a system first devised by a second-generation Eastern European immigrant, and he clearly felt that as wickets were far more important (once ten have been reached, the innings is over, whereas there is no limit to the number of runs scored) they ought to be listed first.

His name was Yarasfrum Eurelboe, but I'm not surprised if you've never heard of him.

Most Australians don't know Yarasfrum Eurelboe.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    It was a system first devised by a second-generation Eastern European immigrant, and he clearly felt that as wickets were far more important (once ten have been reached, the innings is over, whereas there is no limit to the number of runs scored) they ought to be listed first.

His name was Yarasfrum Eurelboe, but I'm not surprised if you've never heard of him.

Is that serious ... I really don't know

That's priceless

Quote Originally Posted by burkey_1988
    Im pretty sure hes not serious at all.

As far as I have always been told, it was to do with the Australian scoreboards that placed wickets to the left or above the runs. This caused people to read the wickets first and hence, say and eventually write them first.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!

Yes... yes it is.

(It's derived from an expression relating to the confusion of two different and fairly distinct parts of the body)

Maybe because bowlers figures are always read as 4-56 for example and it makes sense to do that with the innings total as well

International 12th Man

lol.

International 12th Man
    Maybe because bowlers figures are always read as 4-56 for example and it makes sense to do that with the innings total as well
    Saying a bowler has "taken 4-56" is shorthand for saying that they have taken 4 wickets for 56 runs. Saying that a batting team have "scored 200-3" is shorthand for them having scored 200 runs for the loss of 3 wickets. The Australian system makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    Saying a bowler has "taken 4-56" is shorthand for saying that they have taken 4 wickets for 56 runs. Saying that a batting team have "scored 200-3" is shorthand for them having scored 200 runs for the loss of 3 wickets. The Australian system makes no sense.
    We are a little backward down under

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    Eh? It's just saying they've lost three of their ten wickets and their score is 200.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information