• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dennis Compton vs KF Barrington

The King

Cricket Spectator
Who would you rate as the better batsman. The more reliable KF Barrington or the more entertaining Dennis Compton?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Compton anyday. I have seen Barrington in India and not Compton but from all accounts by those who saw bboth (their areers were fairly close to each other), there was no comparison. Barington was an accumulator but in a time when the game was really going down with draw after dreary tall scoring draw was the staple diet for the por spectator.
Compton was a prince in an era of more entreprising cricket and faced much more hostile bowling attacks.

In any event Barrington was very "un-pretty to watch. I can vouch for that. :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends.

If I wanted one or the other to bat for my life, it'd be Barrington. If it was for pleasure, then Compton.

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
So compton's career stretched for 20 years (15 w/o ww2) and Barrington's 13 years.
If we eliminate Compton's last years of decline to match KF's record. He too after 13 years averaged 60 like KF. Its just Barrington has an insane away average of 70, which Compton can't compete with at all.

As for opponents, Barrington's weakness were the windies. BUT to make up for it, he absolutely annihilated Australia with a 64 average.

My consensus says they both are equals, but i still would like to know who was the better player. Anyone with good details?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Highly disagree, Peter May was a home track bully. Anyways stick to the thread's question and not direct the conversation somewhere else please.
There is a reason Mr_Mister said May. Probably gives a clue that he rates Barrington higher than Compton. So would I btw.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Both were splendid Test performers (and both better than May IMO).

Barrington averaged over 60 against 4 of the 6 Test nations he played against while Compton only achieved this against Pakistan.

Denis ComptonKen Barrington
Australia42.8463.97
India51.2575.28
New Zealand46.3699.00
Pakistan90.6079.44
South Africa53.7849.45
West Indies49.3334.73

With regard to hb's comments about Compton's bowling, both were handy at times but Barrington's leggies earned him 29 wickets @ 44.8 compared with Compton's left arm wrist spinner's 25 wickets @ 56.4

I think it was Alan Davidson who described Ken Barrington as being like a bulldog with the Union Jack draped across his shoulders when he batted. He said talk only made him more determined.

For mine, Barrington was the more valuable player.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Appreciate your inputs, LL. I was being TIC there with my comment but then again, I love to have sides full of allrounders and every variety of bowling possible so its very possible I would pick Compton over Barrington for this reason in my side. :)

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
Both were splendid Test performers (and both better than May IMO).

Barrington averaged over 60 against 4 of the 6 Test nations he played against while Compton only achieved this against Pakistan.

Denis ComptonKen Barrington
Australia42.8463.97
India51.2575.28
New Zealand46.3699.00
Pakistan90.6079.44
South Africa53.7849.45
West Indies49.3334.73

With regard to hb's comments about Compton's bowling, both were handy at times but Barrington's leggies earned him 29 wickets @ 44.8 compared with Compton's left arm wrist spinner's 25 wickets @ 56.4

I think it was Alan Davidson who described Ken Barrington as being like a bulldog with the Union Jack draped across his shoulders when he batted. He said talk only made him more determined.

For mine, Barrington was the more valuable player.
These stats are worthless to look at since DC played for 7 years more. (So was hit by a decline) unlike KB who played 13 years.
If you were to pull stats levelled to the years played (both prime) Then DC indeed has very similar records to KB (for example DC average against australia becomes 54)

KB has a greater Away Record but DC has the brag against Windies which KB doesnt have. Argumement comes down to preference otherwise theyre level. The reason my pick is DC is because he lost his prime years into ww2

Engle

State Vice-Captain
If you're picking a hypothetical team, an XI to play an imaginary Test - then Barrington gets in ahead of Compton
If you're picking a Top 10 or Top 20 or Top xx for batsmanship - then Compton edges Barrington

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you're picking a hypothetical team, an XI to play an imaginary Test - then Barrington gets in ahead of Compton
If you're picking a Top 10 or Top 20 or Top xx for batsmanship - then Compton edges Barrington
Due to their batting positions?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
These stats are worthless to look at since DC played for 7 years more. (So was hit by a decline) unlike KB who played 13 years.
If you were to pull stats levelled to the years played (both prime) Then DC indeed has very similar records to KB (for example DC average against australia becomes 54)

KB has a greater Away Record but DC has the brag against Windies which KB doesnt have. Argumement comes down to preference otherwise theyre level. The reason my pick is DC is because he lost his prime years into ww2
Yeah can’t he believe retired after that heart attack to protect his average. Selfish bugger.
Also didn’t know stats were worthless unless we were looking at equal career lengths.