• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Waugh vs Alan Border

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AB. Steve was a great player but AB just had that little bit more greatness.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Allan Border by quite a margin.(Sorry I thought the question asked was about their captaincy skills)

As a batsman I rate S.Waugh higher.

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Saw just about both these guys' entire careers.

Steve Waugh - not by a massive amount, but comfortably enough. Had quite a slow start (which really hurt his average), but was as well-equipped to slaughter and attack as he was to frustrate and defend. Possessed perhaps the most amazing self-discipline I've ever seen in a batsman and he had that extra bit of frosty intimidation at the crease.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
Saw just about both these guys' entire careers.

Steve Waugh - not by a massive amount, but comfortably enough. Had quite a slow start (which really hurt his average), but was as well-equipped to intimidate and attack as he was to frustrate and defend. Possessed perhaps the most amazing self-discipline I've ever seen in a batsman and he had that extra bit of frosty intimidation at the crease.
Decent bowler at the death in ODI's too.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
border for me, i have seen both of them fairly extensively and border was clearly the better batsman while being as gritty and tenacious as waugh....both were exceptional players...

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Border as a captain..

Waugh as a batsmen.. great discipline, could always count on him playing a long innings to get Australia out of trouble.. pretty good batting technique aswell, eventhough he does not have the naturaly ability of guys like his brother, you can see he's worked extremely hard on technique and its paid off..

thierry henry

International Coach
Entrael said:
Border as a captain..

Waugh as a batsmen.. great discipline, could always count on him playing a long innings to get Australia out of trouble.. pretty good batting technique aswell, eventhough he does not have the naturaly ability of guys like his brother, you can see he's worked extremely hard on technique and its paid off..
imo Steve Waugh had MORE "natural ability" than Mark. He was the one who made the teams that Mark didn't, went through the grades quicker, was marked for bigger things, and achieved them. Just because they were aesthetically different players does not mean that Mark was more talented.

deeps

International 12th Man
no, mark was supremely talented, but lacked the determination and grit of tugga

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Entrael said:
One could say the same about AB I think, save him being related to Mark.

Border for me.