• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Ponting get disciplined ?

C_C

International Captain
Real sour grapes from Ponting from what i hear ....yelled at Dar after he got out and mouthed off the english pavillion before entering the hutch...

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
Real sour grapes from Ponting from what i hear ....yelled at Dar after he got out and mouthed off the english pavillion before entering the hutch...
Perfectly justified response by ponting, in no way sourgrapes. Why should he get disiplined? did you even watch the game?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He didn't "yell" at Dar, but he did speak to him. Whether or not he will get disciplined obviously depends on what he said, which none of us know. It's not against the rules for a captain to speak with the umpire about something, provided it's a legitimate question/complaint.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i should think he will probably get a fine. It really was a pathetic little strop that just made the dismissal more satisfying. He was moaning that he had been run out by the sub that was on for jones which is obsurd, england would be desparate to have jones on so he can get wickets

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Perfectly justified response by ponting, in no way sourgrapes. Why should he get disiplined? did you even watch the game?

So yelling at the umpire and mouthing off the pavillion is a perfectly justified response ?
:blink:

And no, i didnt watch it, which is why i said "from what i hear"....do feel free to correct me if my facts are in error.

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
So yelling at the umpire and mouthing off the pavillion is a perfectly justified response ?
:blink:

And no, i didnt watch it, which is why i said "from what i hear"....do feel free to correct me if my facts are in error.
No he spoke to the umpire and shouted something at, for all we know, anyone. Maybe even the crowd..... He shouldnt get disiplined at all, and if he does there is something wrong with cricket

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
No he spoke to the umpire and shouted something at, for all we know, anyone. Maybe even the crowd..... He shouldnt get disiplined at all, and if he does there is something wrong with cricket

So shouting something at someone ( player/umpire/fans/whatever) is not deemed fine-worthy ?
I got a question for you : Since when is it literally 'one rule for the aussies, another for the rest' ?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it looked like he was shouting at the english dressing room, seems just like the pressure just got to him mixed with the anger and disapointment of getting out and he just had a little outburst nothing serious but as jones got fined for over celebrating id expect him to get some of his match fee deducted

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
So shouting something at someone ( player/umpire/fans/whatever) is not deemed fine-worthy ?
I got a question for you : Since when is it literally 'one rule for the aussies, another for the rest' ?
8-) No,no not another racism argument....

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Mate, it obviously depends on the circumstances. How often do you see a cricketer on the boundary having words with abusive fans? How much chatting goes on between players on the field, surrounding dismissals and so on? Plenty of things get said, and some things are picked up on and others are not. If Ponting did show dissent to Dar he will obviously be disciplined for it, but if he went over there and said "why is that guy allowed on the field while their fast bowlers take short rests off the field for the whole day when he is a better fielder?" then obviously he won't.

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
8-) No,no not another racism argument....
Where did racism enter the picture ?
You'd do well to realise that 'one rule for the rest, another for the aussies' cannot be deemed racist, since Aussies arnt the ONLY team of a particular racial composition in cricket.
8-) 8-) 8-)

C_C

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Mate, it obviously depends on the circumstances. How often do you see a cricketer on the boundary having words with abusive fans? How much chatting goes on between players on the field, surrounding dismissals and so on? Plenty of things get said, and some things are picked up on and others are not. If Ponting did show dissent to Dar he will obviously be disciplined for it, but if he went over there and said "why is that guy allowed on the field while their fast bowlers take short rests off the field for the whole day when he is a better fielder?" then obviously he won't.
Okay some say he 'spoke' with Dar, some say he 'shouted' at Dar. Fine, that is a judgement call.
But shouting towards the pavillion is a punishable offence under ICC code of conduct- no circumstances are exempted.
And players do get fined for exchanging words with the fans in a heated manner. Obviously the ICC disciplinary actions arnt consistent ( ie, they let too many outbursts slip) and hence there is a big debate regarding its implimentation.

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
Where did racism enter the picture ?
You'd do well to realise that 'one rule for the rest, another for the aussies' cannot be deemed racist, since Aussies arnt the ONLY team of a particular racial composition in cricket.
8-) 8-) 8-)
Becuase my response would have been no its the same rules for everyone, and thus u would have said, like u have stated so many other times, that that isnt the case, when it is. So dont pull this "where did rascism enter the picture" crap.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He spoke to the umpire and shouted abuse at the England dressing room as he walked up the steps. It was all heat of the moment stuff, unless Ponting wants to carry on with this rather silly dispute it should all be forgotten. I think England just took the "£$% a bit by bringing on the best fielder in the Country(Trevor Penny) within 10 minutes.

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Becuase my response would have been no its the same rules for everyone, and thus u would have said, like u have stated so many other times, that that isnt the case, when it is. So dont pull this "where did rascism enter the picture" crap.

Umm, Sherlock, you'd find that England, RSA, NZ and OZ are of the same predominant ethnic composition when it comes to cricket teams....therefore saying 'one rule for the aussies another for the rest' hints towards favouritism of a particular team instead of racism.
And you obviously must think that its one rule for the aussies and another for the rest, for otherwise how can you deem Ponting's reaction as not worthy of punishment ?
When you have bowlers getting fined for overappealing or overcelebration, players getting fined for having a heated word or two with the fans, etc, Ponting's outburst towards the pavillion is defenitely punishable.
Consistency would demand that.

Lillian- i am sorry but 'heat of the moment' excuse doesnt fly, because almost all outbursts are 'heat of the moment', not planned ahead of time.

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
Okay some say he 'spoke' with Dar, some say he 'shouted' at Dar. Fine, that is a judgement call.
But shouting towards the pavillion is a punishable offence under ICC code of conduct- no circumstances are exempted.
And players do get fined for exchanging words with the fans in a heated manner. Obviously the ICC disciplinary actions arnt consistent ( ie, they let too many outbursts slip) and hence there is a big debate regarding its implimentation.
Under what sub section of the code of conduct?

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Under what sub section of the code of conduct?

I cannot believe you have the gall to ask that.
Surely you are being faceteous if you think that abusing the pavillion is not punishable.

Anyways, here are the sub sections:

C-1, C-2, CC-1.2, CC-2.9

King_Ponting

International Regular
the one must ask the question if vaughan should also get fined according to sub section one and two of the Code of conduct

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Stop it now. That's quite a pathetic flame, not worthy of your usually high standard

(of flame).

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
the one must ask the question if vaughan should also get fined according to sub section one and two of the Code of conduct
Ofcourse one should.
Simply because it is the Ashes and the best Ashes series in the last 20 years at that, shouldnt make it exempt to the rules and regulations of cricket.