• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Ponting get disciplined ?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dasa said:
Unfortunately, Australia as a nation (again, generalising) has an ugly history (particularly with treatment of the indigenous population) and for better or worse, a national identity has been formed around sport.
Relevance?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dasa said:
Just to clarify, I'm sure such traits aren't unique to Australia. However, it's something that I find overwhelmingly negative....and shounak, I couldn't be stuffed countering all your posts, however I'll say one thing. Just because I may not be able to give an alternative doesn't diminish my point in any way - even if you think it may not be any better elsewhere, it doesn't make it better here.
Do you think it's a personal preference thing? Or maybe just because Hailebury are full of bad blokes? :p

In all seriousness, though, that would just have a lot to do with people's nature that they are brought up with - some lap up the confrontation, especially when it has been glorified since the 70's, while others aren't as keen and enjoy the game simply for the game, not the extra baggage that can come with it. Or is there something more sinister behind it?

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ponting and Katich are a disgrace to the already battered image of the Australian cricket team, it doesn't matter if you've got a rough decision there's no excuse to be mouthing off at the fans and opposing dressing room. I was really suprised by Katich's outburst i thought he was more mature than that, maybe its a reflection of the leadership within the team.

Shounak

Banned
vic_orthdox said:
Do you think it's a personal preference thing? Or maybe just because Hailebury are full of bad blokes? :p

In all seriousness, though, that would just have a lot to do with people's nature that they are brought up with - some lap up the confrontation, especially when it has been glorified since the 70's, while others aren't as keen and enjoy the game simply for the game, not the extra baggage that can come with it. Or is there something more sinister behind it?
Not even a generation thing I reckon. Some people lap it up, others abhor it.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Wouldn't discount that one!

vic_orthdox said:
I'm sure some of it is personal preference...but when it is something so prevalent, it leads me to look at the society around it. Is it something sinister? I don't know - however, it does explain why the Australian cricket team inspires negative reactions a lot of the time...even when they haven't been successful (i.e. in the 80s).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lillian Thomson said:
He spoke to the umpire and shouted abuse at the England dressing room as he walked up the steps. It was all heat of the moment stuff, unless Ponting wants to carry on with this rather silly dispute it should all be forgotten. I think England just took the "£$% a bit by bringing on the best fielder in the Country(Trevor Penny) within 10 minutes.
IT was not deemed heat of the moment when Lara walked upto an umpire some years ago and said "I think you should have asked the third umpire." He sat out 2 games for that, and Ponting gets away with this scot free..

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
As soon as you started the thread, because you only had one purpose in starting it - complaining about the white guy.
It seems you have one one purpose in life - defending the white guy even when they are guilty.
You can p*ss off mate, i can show you various websites where i post where i defend white folks from undue criticism.
I am yet to see YOU criticise the white guy for any of their crimes and you always couch it or try to justify it.

C_C

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
That's C_C's way of saying "You whiteys are all the same"

:p

Err no.
Its me saying that favouritism of one team/nation is different from favouritism of one race.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Show me where I've defended Ponting here?

Your attack on me, when i am criticising Ponting leads to only one logical conclusion- you either agree with Ponting's behaviour or you dont think it is worthy of punishment. Else you wouldnt be disagreeing with me.

Besides, it is you who turn everything into a racist thing, not me. I point out inconsistencies, you assume that i am being racist towards the white folks. Like i have said repeatedly, i can point to several websites where i have defended white people against uncalled abuse. Equally, i can show you evidence where i have criticised political or personal decisions made by nations/people on an ethical basis rather than a racial basis. I suggest you show me proof of you ever standing up for non whites and criticising the actions of white people before you ever dare to call me racist, boy. Not to mention, i would like you to show one racist comment i've made in my entire tenure here. Just one comment.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Err no.
Its me saying that favouritism of one team/nation is different from favouritism of one race.
Fair enough, but I'm sure you are aware the comment was made in jest - and obviously and deliberately so there could be (hopefully) no misunderstanding this time.