• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs Steve Waugh

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
As batsmen: This is a hard choice. Steve Waugh was very much a gritty and determined player. I don't think he had the natural talent and flair of Ponting. However, he was still a great batsmen who was the anchor of Australia's middle order for many years. Ponting, as I have said, is a better natural player and is really one of the best to watch when he gets going. Result, a tie

As a captain: Waugh hands down. He led Australia through one of the best periods for them in Test history. His on-field captaincy was superb, as well as his man management. Everyone respected him I feel. However, Ponting has shown he is not as confident. He places men back on the boundary at odd times and doesn't go for the kill. A bit too conservative. Also, he is a bit lost when it comes to field placings

Slow Love™

International Captain
Waugh by a fair margin, as I argued in another thread. Ponting doesn't give off the vibe that he knows what he's doing out there, and I still feel that the "leadership group"'s proclamations that they have him covered lets us know he doesn't.

I wouldn't completely blame him for what's happening this series (although some things, such as the second-test toss screwup, holding Warne back and having no belief in a third man haven't helped), because we've been fairly outplayed, but Vaughan has easily had the better of him.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steve Waugh was the better captain by far. Batting wise, he was more dependable, and much more likely to do the impossible under pressure. Ponting, while having a great gift for batting, seems to be unable to handle pressure that well, both as a captain and a basman.

Craig

World Traveller
On natural talent - perhaps Ricky Ponting, whilst Steve Waugh has had to change his over aggressive style to be come a successfull Test batsman (and perhaps a great player) but overall I go for Waugh on both counts.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Ricky Ponting isn't, has never been, and will never be, fit to knock in Steve Waugh's bat.

Waugh is possibly the greatest captain to have played the game, Ponting is nothing short of atrocious in that department, and Waugh beats most batsmen hands down to be honest, so it's no surprise that Ponting loses.

howardj

International Coach
As captain, when you think about it, they were both made to look pretty ordinary without McGrath - Waugh at home against India in 2003/04, and Ponting in this current series. But I'd say Waugh was better. Loved his body language. Looking at him, you never knew whether he was winning or losing. I'm sure this had a calming influence on his men, both on the field and away on long tours.

As batsmen, I think technically Ponting is better. However, in the end, you have to go on who is the more dependable. I know it's a shockingly hackneyed cliche, but if there was one guy who you would get to bat for your life, it would be Steve Waugh. He was like Allan Border, in that he could chisel out runs, regardless of form, through sheer determination alone.

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
burkey_1988 said:
As batsmen: This is a hard choice. Steve Waugh was very much a gritty and determined player. I don't think he had the natural talent and flair of Ponting. However, he was still a great batsmen who was the anchor of Australia's middle order for many years. Ponting, as I have said, is a better natural player and is really one of the best to watch when he gets going. Result, a tie

you obviously havent seen much of the young steve waugh. Was described as the next stan mccabe at one stage.

Steve Waugh is by far a better batsman, and captain.