• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gillespie has a rant at English crowds

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not trying to stick up for the barmy army who I think are a bit of a blot on the cricketing landscape, but this is a bit rich isn't it? http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvaus/content/story/217174.html

After all, coming from the country that produced the pitch invader that ******ed who was it, Ganguly? Back to the dressing room at Lords.. Not to mention the guys that used to throw tinnies full of urine at Adrian Kuiper and Pat Symcox.. And the Sydney Hill

Is he doing a bit of a Langer?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I suggest he gets the Sydney Hill in order first. Bit of a ridiculous whinge, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was taken out of context.

Piper

International Captain
I think he has a point to be honest... After all it is the Ashes and the English and Aussie fans have never been the best of pals...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
This is Gospel compared to the Sh!t Murali gets in Australia and England.
Murali gets a great reception over here. What the hell are you on about?

God, I can feel a Sanz rant coming on in 5....4....3....

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Piper said:
I think he has a point to be honest... After all it is the Ashes and the English and Aussie fans have never been the best of pals...
They are really. I actualy like australia, i like all their players individualy except hayden aswell

Legglancer

State Regular
luckyeddie said:
Murali gets a great reception over here. What the hell are you on about?

God, I can feel a Sanz rant coming on in 5....4....3....
Well If Hussain being an X skipper can call him a "F***** Chucker" on the field how can you find fault with the public !

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Legglancer said:
Well If Hussain being an X skipper can call him a "F***** Chucker" on the field how can you find fault with the public !
Things are often said in the heat of the moment.

Legglancer

State Regular
luckyeddie said:
Things are often said in the heat of the moment.
Right ..... I am sure that makes it ok .... maybe they should train players from India, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh to do the same to the Aussie SA and England team ???? Just to make things even ! :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Legglancer said:
Right ..... I am sure that makes it ok .... maybe they should train players from India, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh to do the same to the Aussie SA and England team ???? Just to make things even ! :D
Ever hear of an umpire called Shakoor Rana?

Ever wanted to know the full transcript of the 'conversation' between him and Mike Gatting? (If you know it, PLEASE don't repeat it on here because you - and I - will get banned). The stump-mic has a lot to answer for (ask Sarwan, ask McGrath, ask pretty well every international cricketer) but being partially deaf my lipreading's getting better :D

My old pal David Constant (there's a name to raise the hackles on the sub-continent) used to tell me some amazing stories you just wouldn't believe when I used to work with him - and there were one or two Indians involved there too. The Bangladeshis and Zimbabweans were after his time as an international umpire though.

Craig

World Traveller
It is no different to any part of the world any visiting cricketer usually cops some stick. I have seen Craig McMillan cop stick from a section of Aussie fans at the 'Gabba before in a one-day match when was fielding on the boundary.

Although I can understand his POV.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Not to mention the guys that used to throw tinnies full of urine at Adrian Kuiper and Pat Symcox.
Yeah, sorry about that mate, I'd had a fair few (that's how I managed to fill the cans right up to the brim). Kuiper didn't deserve that kind of behaviour - I thought many people around the world might have appreciated the sight of Symcox covered in pi$$ though.

Shounak

Banned
Copping sh*t is part of the job description in being an international cricketer. I'd expect a much thicker skin from someone who's been in the international arena as long as he has.

Would he be making those comments though if his stats this series were a bit impressive? Probably not.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Well he has a point, but it's not just English crowds.

New Zealanders are the worst I have seen with the disgraceful crap that went on a few months ago (although they are at least inventive, throwing things like a toilet seat and a fish at Australian players over the years), but really fans all over the world behave poorly sometimes, and it annoys me regardless of who is involved.

Frankly, I don't understand why people go to the cricket just to scream abuse at the opposition, but there you go.

Slow Love™

International Captain
SirBloody Idiot said:
Just quickly, Dizzy is partially aboriginal right? Were they shots at that?
No, the comments sound like they're more about looking like a gypsy (the hair and the beard) from what the article says.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Aussies do stuff like this alot :) like when they all moaned when the English fans were calling no-ball everytime Lee bowled in the previous Ashes series in Australia. They must have conviently forgot how they do the exact same thing everytime Murli bowls in Australia. 8-)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't mind a bit of heckling from the crowds as long as it's just playful stuff, but anything too serious or seriously malicious is, well, just not cricket.

Shounak

Banned
andyc said:
I don't mind a bit of heckling from the crowds as long as it's just playful stuff, but anything too serious or seriously malicious is, well, just not cricket.
Making cracks at someones parents is playful stuff in my eyes. It's the same as YO MOMMA jokes. Those kinds of lines are uttered all the time here in Aus. That kind of a thing ain't exactly malicious. Especially when it's coming from the die hard supporters of the opposition.

Dizzy should understand that his mother is not the target of these calls. She has nothing at all to do with anything. But if he did take it seriously and was offended. Did he really think that making a statement like that would make everyone stop it?