• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time to change the Aussie captain?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ponting has been found wanting of ideas. First in the match versus Bangladesh and then on several other ocassions.

Today, the field placings were poor giving the english too many easy runs.

After the Ashes, I think its time for a change of leadership. Warne back as captain and a one day come back? He has a good cricket mind. If the Australians do not find it uncomfortable that his personal life is not a great example, then why not?

Or maybe Gilchrist.

I dont know but Ponting is not satsifactory as captain at the moment.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Pratyush said:
Ponting has been found wanting of ideas. First in the match versus Bangladesh and then on several other ocassions.

Today, the field placings were poor giving the english too many easy runs.

After the Ashes, I think its time for a change of leadership. Warne back as captain and a one day come back? He has a good cricket mind. If the Australians do not find it uncomfortable that his personal life is not a great example, then why not?

Or maybe Gilchrist.

I dont know but Ponting is not satsifactory as captain at the moment.
No. Ponting has lead from the front and cant be blamed if the team, in particular the batsman simply dont perform

Slow Love™

International Captain
No, he isn't very flash.

However, I don't think Gilchrist is all that brilliant either - and I see little chance of Warne being offered the captaincy (it's even possible that he wouldn't accept it at this late stage). So, I wouldn't drop him - because I can't imagine who's really equipped right now to replace him, unless the Aussie selectors take a huge risk like South Africa did in promoting Smith and go for Clarke - which I really wouldn't do, as he is still working on establishing himself in the side and he has far too many critics on his back already.

Strong alternatives aren't really presenting themselves, so Ponting will have to stay. It's also very likely that he'll find the going a lot easier against other opposition once this series is finished.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
C.mon guys he just got Australia out of jail with definitely the best rearguard action i have ever seen in the last test. Do you guys he would have had the same determination if the wasn't skipper.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Warne would make an excellent captain, except he's 35 years old and has a terrible record off the field. Gilchrist too isn't far from retirement. Ponting is captain because there's no other good option, simple as that.

greg

International Debutant
The problem has not primarily been the batsmen, it has been the bowlers. Any captain can be made innocuous if his attack lets him down, as Stephen Fleming showed last year. And any batting attack will be made to look poor, if they struggle where the opposition consistently make hay because of weak bowling (as is repeatedly the case with the Windies).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ponting is captain because there's no other good option, simple as that.
Yes I am afraid that is the reality. Warne could have made a good captain and could serve as a stop gap captain for 2 years but it would ruffle a lot of feathers in Australia I think after Warne's off field exploits.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
The problem has not primarily been the batsmen, it has been the bowlers. Any captain can be made innocuous if his attack lets him down, as Stephen Fleming showed last year. And any batting attack will be made to look poor, if they struggle where the opposition consistently make hay because of weak bowling (as is repeatedly the case with the Windies).
Eh, I disagree. I think the bowling has been pretty good, although obviously the fact that the attack has changed every game and Gillespie has been woeful hasn't helped, Warne has been excellent and McGrath, Lee and Tait have all been good enough. The problem is the batting, because when England have bowled well Australia have gone to pieces and haven't made a single large score in the series despite three of the four wickets being flat. When Australia has bowled well, most of the time England have done okay, maybe lost a wicket or two but come out the other same and still made a score. England have outbowled Australia, but the difference in my mind has been relatively small. Australia's fielders have let down the bowlers consistently, but the bowling hasn't been that bad.

What has been genuinely poor is the batting. England have bowled well, yes, but good batsmen should be able to face good bowling on a true, flat pitch and survive to make runs, and Australia excluding a couple of people haven't been able to do that, while England have, despite the fact that guys like Ponting, Martyn, Gilchrist and Langer are normally more reliable than their English counterparts.

Swervy

International Captain
truth is Ponting could really do much more with the crap bowling that England have exploited brilliantly so far. McGrath was good in the first test..Warne has been good all series, Lee sporadically good, the rest not up to standard..whereas Englands bowling has consistanly been at at very high standard...Australias batting has been fatally exposed by the England bowlers...what really could Ponting do????

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
The field placements havent been satisfactory.
you need to have bowlers who can bowl to whatever the field placings are...Australias bowlers have not done the job

I agree that ponting has been out captained so far this series, but there is only so much the guy can do..he cannot bat for everyone..he cannot field for everyone..he cannot bowl for everyone.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Swervy said:
you need to have bowlers who can bowl to whatever the field placings are...Australias bowlers have not done the job

I agree that ponting has been out captained so far this series, but there is only so much the guy can do..he cannot bat for everyone..he cannot field for everyone..he cannot bowl for everyone.
Australia would win for sure if that were the case.

Ponting has the most runs for australia thus far
Ponting has the best average out of all of the bowlers playing in the series
Ponting hasnt dropped a catch this series

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:

Yeah a captain cannot place a field for Tait like he can do for McGrath. And I agree Australian bowlers have not done the job.

My dissatisfaction and disappointment from Ponting has been his extra defensive captaincy. For example, against Bangladesh, he waited for things to happen rather than setting an attacking field till very late. (not taking any thing away from Bangladesh)

Even today, with wickets down, he could have done with a more attacking field. A captain really cant set a field for bad bowling.

England fought hard. But Australia did not show teeth to atleast try to fight while bowling. The pitch was lookind dead, the field placings were not innovative or did not force batsmen to do some thing different.

The bowlers were not the most talented but I expected more from the captaincy - some sparks of brilliance. Maybe I expect too much. :sleep:

Swervy

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Australia would win for sure if that were the case.

Ponting has the most runs for australia thus far
Ponting has the best average out of all of the bowlers playing in the series
Ponting hasnt dropped a catch this series
yeah..but still remember he has done little with the bat apart from the 150, and Vaughan has completely out classsed him as a captain :D ...as many people thought he would to be honest

King_Ponting

International Regular
i wonder how long it will be before certain people will say "a monkey could captain" this current english team. 8-)

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking at this series it is very obvious too me that Warne should be captain of right now but obviously that is not the case and he almost certainly will never be which is a great shame for him and australia. Ponting has been outclassed by vaughan and isnt a great captain but he cant really be blamed for australias poor performance

King_Ponting

International Regular
in essence isnt that what people have been saying ever since ponting has taken over? One wonders how long it will be before the english captain attains the same tag due to the vast amount of talent present within the english team.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
King_Ponting said:
i wonder how long it will be before certain people will say "a monkey could captain" this current english team. 8-)
I'm sure your monkey could - he's super.

I think if we enjoy 10 years at the top, then that's when you can start making such statements. At the moment, it's 1-1 with 8 days of cricket to decide the Ashes.

In defence of Ponting, he really hasn't had a lot of breaks what with the entire batting line-up apart from himself and the bowlers going AWOL for most of the summer.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i may be a little high at the moment but nooooo way Australia should change their captain, he defiantely isn't the best option available but no one else is suitable for the job. People keep saying that Ponting's has looked clueless in this series but i've seem him consult with Warne, Gilchrist when setting fields, making bowling changes etc & still England have been on top.

Since Ponting has become international skipper in 2002 i've seen him make some superb decisions & some ordinary ones but he isn't that bad that he is worth replacing.......