• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time to change the Aussie captain?

deeps

International 12th Man
SpeedKing said:
C.mon guys he just got Australia out of jail with definitely the best rearguard action i have ever seen in the last test. Do you guys he would have had the same determination if the wasn't skipper.
if that is DEFINATELY the best rearguard action you've ever seen, you haven't seen much cricket.

Besides, that was ponting the batsman... we are talking about the captaincy.no1 is asking for punter to get dropped from the side

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
wahindiawah said:
Before this series he was never really tested
in SRI lanka lat year he was well tested, if you remember Australia had to come from behind in all 3 test practically & as a skipper Ponting came through well

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't think the aussie brains-trust sack him till the end of the Australian summer, so he can atleast try to atone for his sins. If he however manages to to loose or draw a test series at home, then I think he will go.

I don't like Ponting, I would have never picked him to be captain, and I wouldn't have picked Warne or Gilchrist either. I don't know who would be the right choice, there is no one in the Australian team who is captain material.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
lionheart said:
I don't think the aussie brains-trust sack him till the end of the Australian summer, so he can atleast try to atone for his sins. If he however manages to to loose or draw a test series at home, then I think he will go.

I don't like Ponting, I would have never picked him to be captain, and I wouldn't have picked Warne or Gilchrist either. I don't know who would be the right choice, there is no one in the Australian team who is captain material.
ur just annoyed because of his performaces in this series, u cant tell me u seriously didn't think Ponting was skipper material when he was 1st selected in 2002.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
aussie said:
ur just annoyed because of his performaces in this series, u cant tell me u seriously didn't think Ponting was skipper material when he was 1st selected in 2002.
Nope, I haven't liked Ponting since he first came on the scene. I think he is a good batsmen, but I knew when he got in that fist-fight in Tassie years ago he'll never be a great captain (meaning great as in Alan Border, Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh). I'm not saying "oh look at him, he gets drunk and had a punch on year ago, he can't be captain", I'm just saying that I just thought then that he probebly won't have the characteristics to make him a great cpatain, and that wasn't based on what he actually did, it just clicked in my head. He can do the job, but I don't think he is the right guy to do it, but I can't name any alternatives at this stage as I said before, I can't think of anyone who could be a great captain in the team at the momment.

But as I said, regardless on my bias, he won't and shouldn't be sacked unless he manages to loose or draw (I should say, it has to be a bad draw too, like a narrow escape) a series at home this summer.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Seriously though, he had one slip in for Ashley Giles, and three men stopping the leg-side shots he doesn't play the other day. He just has no idea who he is playing against, or what their strengths and weaknesses are. There was a time, under Steve Waugh, when Australia would exploit any weakness in a player ruthlessly - now, they just stick the fielders anywhere and hope for a wicket.

i think Buchanan is responsible for 50% of the garbage tactics atm.

listening to triple M Liz Ellis reakons (and Taylor and Matthews agreed) that the biggest problem for Australia atm seems to be Paralysis of analysis - over analysing their games, they just need to get back the the basics and do them well.