• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time to change the Aussie captain?

pskov

International 12th Man
Regardless of whether he stays as captain or not (I think he should stay due to lack of replacements) if Australia lose this series, he will always be remembered, perhaps unfairly, as 'the guy who lost The Ashes'. They'll remember how he was an excellent batsman too, but Australia have had many excellent batsman over the last 15 years. Only one can be the first guy to lose to the Poms.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
pskov said:
Only one can be the first guy to lose to the Poms.
well i'm hoping that wont happen in this seires but Ponting eventually by 2009 will be the one to face the ignominity of being the one lose the ashes to England :dry: .

While Vaughan will be the one the retains the ashes :sleep:

shaka

International Regular
I am picking Gilchrist to retire in the next year so I would advise not giving Gilchrist the captaincy.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:
I am picking Gilchrist to retire in the next year so I would advise not giving Gilchrist the captaincy.
If, heaven forbid, Australia do not retain the Ashes, I reckon about 4 of them might chuck it in within a month of getting home.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting hasnt shown signs of being the world's best captain nor has he shown any of being the world's worst. Australia may or may not have a better captaiin in their midst.

The Australian team's woes, however, are not due to his captaincy. There isnt much a captain can do for poor batting all round or age catching up with main bowlers.

shaka

International Regular
When Ponting came into the position he inherited a very good time, but at the same time a very old team (age wise), in comparison to the rest of the world. In his time in the position the injuries have been accumulating and have begun to occur to some of the genius' of the team.

wahindiawah

Banned
King_Ponting said:
No. Ponting has lead from the front and cant be blamed if the team, in particular the batsman simply dont perform
INdeed he did lead from front in one innings, but on the field he seems to be clueless!!

Sack him as captain and get a maverick like Warney skip the side.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
wahindiawah said:
INdeed he did lead from front in one innings, but on the field he seems to be clueless!!

Sack him as captain and get a maverick like Warney skip the side.
clearly you haven't seen much of Ponting as skipper other than this series :dry:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Deja moo said:
The real question is, " Which rock has Scallywag buried himself under ?!? "
He's banned. :sleep:

I'm against Ponting being sacked as captain, simply because this is not the best time (referring to the next few years) to have leadership changes. Ideally, it would be good to have the one leader throughout the transition time with all these experienced players leaving. Ideally, Ponting would have been passing on the culture that existed from Border through to Waugh's respective tenures as leader, but it seems to be slipping already. Which isn't (entirely) the fault of the captain.

howardj

International Coach
I don't think Ponting should get sacked. Atherton made a good point tonight, that it's amazing how many times the captain with the strongest bowling line-up is declared the better skipper. In this series, I reckon Mark Taylor - who's the best skipper I've seen - would have looked pedestrian with Gillespie and Kasprowicz in his attack too, and no McGrath.

Besides, a change should only be made if it improves the status quo. The two obvious candidates - Warne and Gilchrist - will, for differing reasons, not be selected. Therefore, Ponting is the best man for the job. Let the man grow into the job - remember Steve Waugh in the Carribean in 1999? Hardly great, but he grew into the job. Ponting should be afforded the same chance.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I don't think Ponting should get sacked - but then I'm English, I would say that. :p

Seriously though, he had one slip in for Ashley Giles, and three men stopping the leg-side shots he doesn't play the other day. He just has no idea who he is playing against, or what their strengths and weaknesses are. There was a time, under Steve Waugh, when Australia would exploit any weakness in a player ruthlessly - now, they just stick the fielders anywhere and hope for a wicket.