• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer v the short ball

Craig

World Traveller
Now obviously Justin Langer can play the short ball well - especially square of the wicket both side or otherwise he would not have been a success at The WACA for WA and for Australia but I have ask why does he get hit so much?

Does he not look at the ball or does the duck not something he knows how to do?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
It looks to me like he often takes his eye off the ball. Maybe he's not so good against the short ball on less bouncy tracks? I'm sure playing at the WACA for a large part of his career has gotten him used to playing on a quick bouncy wicket, perhaps he's being hit so much now because he's playing for bounce that isn't there?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
greg said:
variable bounce
That and he doesnt seem to pick Harmy up all the time.

For me , it's similar to Steve Waugh - sometimes looks ordinary but doesnt get out to it very often and scores heaps of runs off it.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sometimes it looks like he lets himself get hit, maybe because you probably won't get out, which you could do if you played at it. Seriously

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I reckon he likes it. It'd explain his smile after he sees a huge bruise on his elbow.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
Sometimes it looks like he lets himself get hit, maybe because you probably won't get out, which you could do if you played at it. Seriously
That was the Boycott way - 'wear one for the team'.

I've made no secret of my admiration for the sheer guts shown by Justin Langer in his career, and this summer in particular, but he really is getting hit too often for his own good.