• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where did the game start

bloodyboggy

Cricket Spectator
While watching the Sri Lakin V Netherlands game down at my local Club last night one of the older members made the statement that the game of cricket was in fact not an English invention but was first played in the Netherlands before coming into England.
> Now not knowing all that much about the history of this fine game can someone
please advise us as to the exact origins of the game?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How long have you got.

I believe it started back in the mid 2nd millenium - but where it started is unsure as there were games played world wide which resemble it slighty.

Certainly the first organised Cricket was in England, and it was all run smoothly till the ICC got involved.

Quick question for you all, what did the ICC originally stand for?

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
It started in England...if you're really that interested I can email you some stuff I have on the origins of the greatest game ever...

Let me know if you're interested..

Eyes

James

Cricket Web Owner
There is a History of Cricket page on Cricket Web guys ;)

Have a read of that - might help :cool2:

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by James
There is a History of Cricket page on Cricket Web guys ;)

Have a read of that - might help :cool2:
Getting the free advertising for your site in again James :P ;) :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Talking of advertising - guess what I saw when I turned on Cricketbar for the last overs of the game today?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It was advertising Cricketweb - I assume that's a good thing isn't it?

It was also a very good time in the game to do it, right at the end where a lot of people would be checking the game as Cricinfo seemed to be swamped.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Great - the reason for that is that we host the Cricket Bar download thus reducing their bandwidth levels.