• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Australia harm their ashes chances by not selecting lehmann?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
just a thought i had whilst talking to pothas the other day, do you think that australia would have performed better had they not dropped Darren Lehmann from their test side? He was one of their most experienced players who also had great experience of playing on english wickets, would they have done better had they not sacked him from the side? or do you believe that it would not have made much difference and they are better off with clarke and katich in the middle order?

King_Ponting

International Regular
sledger said:
just a thought i had whilst talking to pothas the other day, do you think that australia would have performed better had they not dropped Darren Lehmann from their test side? He was one of their most experienced players who also had great experience of playing on english wickets, would they have done better had they not sacked him from the side? or do you believe that it would not have made much difference and they are better off with clarke and katich in the middle order?
Better off with clarke and katich imo. lehmann, like warne has that tendency to walk accross his stumps which could easily have been exploited through out this series. katich does much the same but not to the extent of lehmann

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well boofa was faling for the majority of the australian summer so his axing was justified...

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sledger said:
No the Australian team can hardly be accused of lacking experience and they are better of with clarke and katich i think

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If Lehmann hadn't spent 6 months playing like a has been with the temprament of a 22 year old Damien Martyn, he would still be in the team. And yes, if he was playing as well as he can, he would be a very valuable member of the team. The way things were in India and the Australian summer, he would be a liability.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm inclined to think Hohns & co got this one right. I think the Ashes thus far has shown us that perhaps the Oz selectors tend on the side of conservatism when it comes to letting players go (obviously Dizzy was retained at least 2 tests too long & I think they've shown great patience with an obviously out-of-touch Hayden), which is understandable giving the success they've had over the last few years, but has left them with a team that is aging together.

Clarke and/or Katich will be playing test cricket for a lot longer than Lehmann would have.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Lehmann retired from test cricket after Michael Clarke's century on debut? :wacko:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
I still think Symonds should be in the team. Today only confirmed that.
in all honesty i reckon he has a chance to get back into the test side in the future....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
He's already past 30...
well boofa got his chance at a late age, the thing with Symo is that he is improving if you look at the batsmen who are coming up in the aussie middle-order Hodge, D.Hussey, North, Thornely i reckon he has a fair chance of leapfrogging a few if he can plunder runs at the FC level in the coming years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You're already qualifying this by saying if he can score runs in the future, but he's already 30+ - Lehmann was always scoring runs at that age.

Shounak

Banned
aussie said:
in all honesty i reckon he has a chance to get back into the test side in the future....
I don't think so, neither does he. That's why he's got into his commentary gig. I think they'd rather have a new-ish player cut his teeth in Boofa's position then putting a player who will last no longer then a year or two in. I'd personally rather have someone like Hodge or D.Hussey in the side, they'll provide more future benefits for the Australian team. Even if it may cause some short term loss.