• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Australia harm their ashes chances by not selecting lehmann?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
in all honesty i reckon he has a chance to get back into the test side in the future....
I agree. He has been selected in the Super Test, test squad so he is in the selectors thoughts. If he is a cracking start to the home summer and a spot opens up, he is a big chance, especially with his allround ability.

Mister Wright

marc71178 said:
You're already qualifying this by saying if he can score runs in the future, but he's already 30+ - Lehmann was always scoring runs at that age.
Lehmann is almost mid 30s isn't he? Symonds has only just turned 30 or 31, could get a good 2 or 3 years out of him until Watson is ready.

howardj

International Coach
shounak said:
I don't think so, neither does he. That's why he's got into his commentary gig. I think they'd rather have a new-ish player cut his teeth in Boofa's position then putting a player who will last no longer then a year or two in. I'd personally rather have someone like Hodge or D.Hussey in the side, they'll provide more future benefits for the Australian team. Even if it may cause some short term loss.
They're both on the wrong side of 30, and have very suspect FC records in Austraila in the last five years. Any future vacancies in top six should go to players like Jacques and Watson.

Shounak

Banned
Jono said:
I believe he was talking about Symonds, not Lehmann.
Ahh yes. I see, my mistake.

But the same still applies. I'd be trying to phase out these new players as quick and as painlessly as possible.

I'd much rather Australia did it over a few matches, then all of the players retiring within a 2 year period.

It just seems so hard who to drop and who to keep. But I think Gillespie's near gone. Taity's arrival's nothing but a good thing.

Shounak

Banned
howardj said:
They're both on the wrong side of 30, and have very suspect FC records in Austraila in the last five years. Any future vacancies in top six should go to players like Jacques and Watson.
Didn't think about that one entirely either. I'm in complete agreement with you.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the English selectors dropping Thorpe is having more of an effect on this series than the Aussie selectors dumping Lehmann. I still can't see that guy Bell being all that good at this level if he continues to play like this. He has no backlift and his strokes are just pushes, mainly. He looks like a Mohammed Kaif, perhaps better than him, but I don't see him scoring many big hundreds, which is what you want from a no.4. I think had Thorpe been there at 4 instead of him, England would be in a much better position in this series, and in this match.

Shounak

Banned
honestbharani said:
I think the English selectors dropping Thorpe is having more of an effect on this series than the Aussie selectors dumping Lehmann. I still can't see that guy Bell being all that good at this level if he continues to play like this. He has no backlift and his strokes are just pushes, mainly. He looks like a Mohammed Kaif, perhaps better than him, but I don't see him scoring many big hundreds, which is what you want from a no.4. I think had Thorpe been there at 4 instead of him, England would be in a much better position in this series, and in this match.
He's a newbie playing against the greatest side in current international cricket and has had to face the best leg spinner of all time and potentially the greatest fast bowler. He's got an average of 24 for this series which isn't too flash, but we shouldn't judge based solely on The Ashes.

I think England are priming him for the future because they see Thorpe as being very very close to his use by date. We need to watch Bell perform against other nations before proper judements can be made.

And it should be taken into account that he does have a century behind his name. For the future that is.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
He looks like a traditional Test player. Actually, not too dissimilar to Thorpe, albeit right-handed. I think he could definitely have some success - I wouldn't be surprised to see Bell averaging in the 40s throughout his career.

Shounak

Banned
howardj said:
Mark Waugh reckons Bell is too mechanical and not up to this level
Depends what his role is in the team. If he's the technically sound, calm, collected player who saves England in the hour of darkness then no. He'd be alright coming in at about 5 or 6 protecting the fort.

I see it happening.

Mister Wright

howardj said:
Mark Waugh reckons Bell is too mechanical and not up to this level
Mark Waugh surfed the wave of mediorocrity (sp?) for well over a decade. He is far from one to critize anyone. Did he attend one training session during his first class career?

howardj

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Mark Waugh surfed the wave of mediorocrity (sp?) for well over a decade. He is far from one to critize anyone. Did he attend one training session during his first class career?
Mark 'comfort zone' Waugh.

Makes his 35, seals his place up for the next Test, gets out, and then retires quietly to the pavillion.

Job done.

Fooled 'em for 100+ Tests!

Just kiddin' - Im a big fan of Junior.

Lehmann should never has been his replacement - could never understand replacing a 35 year old, with a 32 year old.

Crazy.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
its all because he's playing australia i see Bell being England's next graham thorpe for sure......

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
Lehmann is almost mid 30s isn't he? Symonds has only just turned 30 or 31, could get a good 2 or 3 years out of him until Watson is ready.
But the point was, the orignal post said that if he can get a good 2 or 3 years now he'd be worth a call-up at that point, ie when he's 32 or 33...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
aussie said:
its all because he's playing australia i see Bell being England's next graham thorpe for sure......
hes totally different to thorpe so tbh i dont think he will be, he has more natural talent than thorpe perhaps, but i dont think he will ever be as good as thorpe was.