Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia very unlucky not be 3-0 up

Australia very unlucky not be 3-0 up

I don't understand why people say England would be disappointed at not being up 2-1. Realistically Australia should be 3-0 up. The poms should be thankful they're still in it. Who cares if England have or haven't played the better cricket in this series. The numbers are there for all to see and Australia don't have to play their best cricket to knock sides over.

First test - Flogged them

Second test - Lost by 2 runs when the poms were all but dead and buried

Third Test - All I hear is England were all over Aus for 5 days....Geraint Jones/ Pietersen dropped catches cost them the match blah blah blah. The fact is if Gilly held onto 2 easy chances England would have been bowled out for 150 and it would have been game (and ashes) over.

1-1 ??......The Poms are laughing they're still in the contest

Australia Very Lucky Not To Be 3-0 Down

What, if McGrath hadn't have had three balls stay low in that first innings, if Australia had caught as badly in the first test as they had in the rest of the series, if Bowden had've given some 50/50 LBWs in the third Test when Aus were batting for the draw (especially with Ponting stepping across his stumps), things could have been very different.

Aus were lucky to get that close to England in the Second Test, and you can't blame "luck" for dropping catches like the ones they have. Australia skill execution hasn't been at the level it needs to be to put away a side as strong - cricket-wise, and mentally - as England, and sometimes that needs to be accepted.

Doesn't mean we cant hope for a better show in Tests 4 & 5

3-0 is a massive stretch considering that Aus werent really in the 3rd test at any stage.

2-1 possibly.

1-1 is realistic considering McGrath's been injured and the Eng bowlers have been on top of Aus batsmen.

I'd be disappointed if I were English as it seems Aus have scope for lots of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by social
    I'd be disappointed if I were English as it seems Aus have scope for lots of improvement
    It's interesting, both teams seem to be saying that. But I'm not sure how true it is - or at least the level of potential improvement is overstated, simply because both teams have been putting in dominating performances against lower quality opposition for a long time (England not as long as Aus, but still...) and it is by this that a lot of commentators are making these claims about their respective sides.

But when you play better teams, the total output by the side isn't going to be as large - McGrath won't take 8/28 against a good team, nor will we make 500 once every three innings. These are the standards by which Aus are being rated against, and their almost farcial.

Both can play better, but much of that really should be put down to the opposition not allowing them to play better.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    It's interesting, both teams seem to be saying that. But I'm not sure how true it is - or at least the level of potential improvement is overstated, simply because both teams have been putting in dominating performances against lower quality opposition for a long time (England not as long as Aus, but still...) and it is by this that a lot of commentators are making these claims about their respective sides.

But when you play better teams, the total output by the side isn't going to be as large - McGrath won't take 8/28 against a good team, nor will we make 500 once every three innings. These are the standards by which Aus are being rated against, and their almost farcial.

Both can play better, but much of that really should be put down to the opposition not allowing them to play better.
    I agree with all bar the comments on McGrath (he's already shown in this series that he's capable of running throught what isnt a great batting line-up) and England's potential.

They are doing most things right but it's still 1 - 1.

Aus have hardly been allowed into the contest in the last 2 matches where McGrath has been injured but it's still 1 - 1.

I mean, how many English havent performed up to expectations? Hoggard and Vaughan for the first 2 tests are about it (Jones and Giles are both ordinary and have performed as such).

How many Aus players have? Warne, Lee, McGrath in the first test and Ponting in the third.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    I can't see where you're coming from with that comment TBH, Australia deserved to win the first test but were easily outplayed during major patches during both the second and third. Considering the tail almost won the second test for Australia from a near impossible position that England should've won by 80-100 runs and if rain hadn't intervened in the third, England might very well deserve to be 2-1 ahead...

Well a plane would crash if the pilot turned into a loaf of bread, but fact is that it hasn't happened.

It has to give Australia a little bit of confidence to see that while England have been playing some of the best cricket of their careers so far, and only one Australian has really played some decent cricket (Warney), Australia have had the chance to be 3-0 up.

Quote Originally Posted by tassietiger
    Well a plane would crash if the pilot turned into a loaf of bread, but fact is that it hasn't happened.

It has to give Australia a little bit of confidence to see that while England have been playing some of the best cricket of their careers so far, and only one Australian has really played some decent cricket (Warney), Australia have had the chance to be 3-0 up.
    I could understand 2-0, but 3-0? Are you seriously suggesting Australia could have won the 3rd Test?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Yeah, dismal thread this.

1-1 is quite fitting given the series so far, with England marginally the unlucky side.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

I would say 2-1 to australia

Quote Originally Posted by tassietiger

They were not in chance on any day in the 3rd test mate, England definetly dominated throughout, but 1st 2 tests were close yeh and i beleived Aus deserved to win the 2nd test too, so 2-0 to Aus yeh definetly not 3-0

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sqwerty
    I don't understand why people say England would be disappointed at not being up 2-1. Realistically Australia should be 3-0 up. The poms should be thankful they're still in it. Who cares if England have or haven't played the better cricket in this series. The numbers are there for all to see and Australia don't have to play their best cricket to knock sides over.

First test - Flogged them

Second test - Lost by 2 runs when the poms were all but dead and buried

Third Test - All I hear is England were all over Aus for 5 days....Geraint Jones/ Pietersen dropped catches cost them the match blah blah blah. The fact is if Gilly held onto 2 easy chances England would have been bowled out for 150 and it would have been game (and ashes) over.

1-1 ??......The Poms are laughing they're still in the contest

We are lucky to be at 1-1 IMO.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Nice troll again, squerty.

I've worked out why you have to start the threads too (slow on the uptake, me)
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Brilliant Nnanden, well worth the effort .
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar

That's gold, Nnanden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information