• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why wasim and waqar were accused of ball tempering?

magsi23

U19 Debutant
zinzan12 said:
England aren't using instruments like bottle-caps and god knows what else to create one side of the ball staying rough. They are simply keeping one side shined-up and hoping a hard pitch and rough outfield will rough up the other side

I am 100% sure England didnt use anything to temper the ball, all i want to say is Pakistani bowlers didnt use anything either, just because England got hammerd by Wasim and Waqar and were loosing this issue was raised.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So if nothing illegal was being done to the ball, why did the umpires change it in the one Test Match?
Oh so the Umpires must have been right, as in Shakoor Rana was right, Gatting must have done something wrong.

As for the umpires, weren't they English too ? Did you know what the match referee said, he actually had felt that there wasn't anything wrong with the ball.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
England aren't using instruments like bottle-caps and god knows what else to create one side of the ball staying rough. They are simply keeping one side shined-up and hoping a hard pitch and rough outfield will rough up the other side
That is as biased as one can get. :laugh::laugh:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Why would he be biased, he's a Kiwi. He is speaking the truth that's all. Or do you think Fred and Jones were using knavery?
I know he is a Kiwi. Look at his post and what he was replying to. It implicitly suggests that England aren't using Bottle tops etc but Pakistanis were.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
I seem to remember that the umpire changed the ball during the third ODI in England vs India series ( that happened in England last)...i suppose that was ball tampering too, eh ?
Please tell us how often an ODI game under current legislation goes by WITHOUT the ball being changed?

C_C

International Captain
Pedro Delgado said:
Why would he be biased, he's a Kiwi. He is speaking the truth that's all. Or do you think Fred and Jones were using knavery?
If a Kiwi can be unbiassed in judging England, why cant be an indian be unbiassed judging a pakistani ?

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Please tell us how often an ODI game under current legislation goes by WITHOUT the ball being changed?
The ball is changed often - but you do have irrefutable evidence to accuse someone of ball tampering , dont you ?
If you apply the same standards, england were tampering too!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For some reason the red ball didn't seem to get dirty the same way a white one does.

Funny that, and the entire reason why your attempts to make me look silly have backfired, yet again Richard.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
For some reason the red ball didn't seem to get dirty the same way a white one does.

Funny that, and the entire reason why your attempts to make me look silly have backfired, yet again Richard.

It is sad when dealing with a fool but even sadder when the fool thinks that he is not being a fool.

And i would like you to explain your above comments.
You are not only being inconsistent in your usual 'england yea yea yea' jingoism, you are acutally being utterly libellious - remember that according to the laws of England, you CAN be sued for your libel over the net. So i hope that Akram or Younis arnt reading this thread or else you might get into some real deep shyte for accusing Akram and Younis of ball tampering in the 1992 series based on ZERO evidence and a bunch of equally jingoistic english commentators without an iota of knowledge about reverse swing engaging in pusillanimous vacillations.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Excuse, but where have I mentioned any players by name?

I haven't done so at all.

Oh, but I see you can use long words, congratulations to you - completely irrelevant rubbish that you're spouting, but we're all used to that by now.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Excuse, but where have I mentioned any players by name?

I haven't done so at all.

Oh, but I see you can use long words, congratulations to you - completely irrelevant rubbish that you're spouting, but we're all used to that by now.

Come in Faaip,our legal expert-to-be.
:D

I hope you realise that by not naming names, but by naming a team, you have just increased your potential lawsuits by a dozen or two.

And i am sorry if you do not posess a brain bigger than a cow's.
Such a simple logic evades you.
Lets recap for a moment.

England players - ball reverses after 20 overs or so.
Pakistan players- ball reverses after 40 overs or so.
Absolutely no proof of England tampering with the ball in 2005 Ashes series
Absolutely no proof of Pakitan tampering with the ball in 1992 series in England.

Marc's conclusion : England doesnt ball tamper but Pakistan ball tampered.

With such wonderfully logical and consistent thought process, it isnt a revelation that the world is suck a f*cked up place

greg

International Debutant
C_C said:
The ball is changed often - but you do have irrefutable evidence to accuse someone of ball tampering , dont you ?
If you apply the same standards, england were tampering too!
Balls get frequently changed in ODI games because they become discoloured making it difficult for the batsmen to pick up the ball. It is why there are persistent suggestions to use two new balls or to change the ball at a set time in every one day match. Batsmen will often push for a change of ball because the ball has gone soft making it harder to get away, in the hope that it will be replaced by a harder, and therefore more hittable, one.

Why the ball was changed in the test match in 1990 is a mystery and will probably forever remain so.

C_C

International Captain
Why the ball was changed in the test match in 1990 is a mystery and will probably forever remain so.
You Obviously havnt watched enough test matches then- the ball gets changed often in test cricket as well, as the ball often gets lost or loses its shape- in test cricket a ball is required to last 30-40 more overs than ODI cricket and thus have a much higher rate of failure.

greg

International Debutant
C_C said:
You Obviously havnt watched enough test matches then- the ball gets changed often in test cricket as well, as the ball often gets lost or loses its shape- in test cricket a ball is required to last 30-40 more overs than ODI cricket and thus have a much higher rate of failure.
Are you aware of what ball we are talking about? The one that has been locked in a cupboard for 15 years.

C_C

International Captain
greg said:
Are you aware of what ball we are talking about? The one that has been locked in a cupboard for 15 years.
Yes. Test cricket. Red cherry.Are you also aware that the white ball wasnt used in ODI cricket until recently ? Are you also aware that the ball gets changed quiete often in test cricket due to the ball losing its shape, often around the 60th or 70th over or so ?
Or do you think that ball-chaning is a recent phenomenon sparked by the white ball ?

greg

International Debutant
C_C said:
Yes. Test cricket. Red cherry.Are you also aware that the white ball wasnt used in ODI cricket until recently ? Are you also aware that the ball gets changed quiete often in test cricket due to the ball losing its shape, often around the 60th or 70th over or so ?
Or do you think that ball-chaning is a recent phenomenon sparked by the white ball ?
I'm not questioning any of that. I have no reason to suspect that the Pakistanis were involved in ball tampering. I am just pointing out that there is an enduring mystery involving ONE PARTICULAR BALL which has been locked in a cupboard at Lords for 15 years.

That's all.

C_C

International Captain
I am just pointing out that there is an enduring mystery involving ONE PARTICULAR BALL which has been locked in a cupboard at Lords for 15 years.
Perhaps. But that mystery can have a lot of equally plausible explanations and not jus tampering, as there is no proof for any of the theories but mere conjenctures.

Blaze

Banned
Didn't NZ openly admit to ball tampering on one of their tours to pakistan? They used bottle caps or something after finding out thats what pakistan were doing?

I am talking 80's maybe early 90's here.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
On the matter of ball-changing, I distinctly remember the ball being changed a few times in the 04 India vs Aus series (in India) because the ball lost it's shape quite easily....No one cried about ball-tampering then though.

Hmmm...I must say it's quite interesting how people can jump so easily on the Pakistani-bashing bandwagon with no evidence whatsoever. Can you imagine the uproar on the forum were someone to accuse England of ball-tampering? Yet, when allegations are made about Pakistan, it's just assumed that they must have been cheating...Some double standards here.

Last edited: