• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why wasim and waqar were accused of ball tempering?

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Well its interesting to see how England bowlers are reverse swinging the old ball in current ashes series and they are getting all the media attention etc, i remember on Pakistan's tour of england 1992, when great Waqar younis and Wasim Akram bowled superbly in that series, they were acused of ball tempering, cheating and all sorts in the media? i wonder what England bowlers are doing now? is that cheating too?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
No, it's the hard wickets and dry outfields in England at the mo. So many cameras at the matches these days, no-one would get away with it.

Didn't Imran admit to the bottle top stuff? Not sure if W&W did.

greg

International Debutant
Pedro Delgado said:
No, it's the hard wickets and dry outfields in England at the mo. So many cameras at the matches these days, no-one would get away with it.

No. He sued Lamb and Botham and won in the high court.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Pedro Delgado said:

Ok so in other words, what England are doing is right what Pakistan did was wrong?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
greg said:
Doesn't mean anything except that there wasn't overwhelming evidence against Imran, otherwise Geoffrey Archer wouldn't have spent a while in prison.

As for "So many cameras at the matches these days, no-one would get away with it.", Pakistan were shown picking at the seam last time they played Tests in England and nothing happened.

Swervy

International Captain
greg said:
i think you need to re-read about the court case

Imran did admit to using bottle tops on the ball during his career

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There are two sides of the coin as to why the Pakistanis were accused of ball tampering.

1. Reverse swing was new and it bewildered the English leading to accusations.

2. They really did tamper with the ball. Sidhu has said on tv that it is not unknown among cricketers that tampering is some thing which took place by lot of if not all teams. Pakistanis mastered it and Indians would struggle after the drinks breaks in Sharjah.

There is no proof to the tampering accusations and so its unresolved :p

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Well this is what exactly my question is? so why is ball swinging so much now without being tampered? and why the media in england not asking the questions they asked wasim and waqar?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
magsi23 said:
Well this is what exactly my question is? so why is ball swinging so much now without being tampered? and why the media in england not asking the questions they asked wasim and waqar?
Because there are many more cameras than there were 10-15 years ago (remember the recent Dravid incident) and reverse swing is not a new phenomenon any more. 8-)

If you are accusing the current english bowlers of ball tampering you better have a strong case. :p

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Pratyush said:
Because there are many more cameras than there were 10-15 years ago (remember the recent Dravid incident) and reverse swing is not a new phenomenon any more. 8-)

If you are accusing the current english bowlers of ball tampering you better have a strong case. :p

I am not accusing English players at all, im defending Pakistan players mate

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
magsi23 said:
I am not accusing English players at all, im defending Pakistan players mate
There is no proof whether the Pakistanis tampered or not. There are too sides of the arguement and I do not see how one can be proven convincingly over the other.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
cricket player said:
You will always lose this battle mate,

English players will never be accused because they are "english players"
The colonial hangover sucks.

English players have been accused and banned over breaking rules of the game too.

Refer: Chuckers

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Waqar during the Afro-Asian Cup :-

"It is being given a new name now. When we bowled it (during the 1992 tour of England), it was called ball tampering. Now that they have somebody to do it, bowlers like Flintoff and Jones, they are coming up with new words to glorify it."

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Waqar during the Afro-Asian Cup :-

"It is being given a new name now. When we bowled it (during the 1992 tour of England), it was called ball tampering. Now that they have somebody to do it, bowlers like Flintoff and Jones, they are coming up with new words to glorify it."
well that is undisputable proof that they never tampered with the ball isnt it!!!!???

C_C

International Captain
well that is undisputable proof that they never tampered with the ball isnt it!!!!???
And you mean to say that there is indisputable proof that Flintoff/Jones etc. dont tamper with the ball ?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
C_C said:
And you mean to say that there is indisputable proof that Flintoff/Jones etc. dont tamper with the ball ?
Pretty hard to prove a negative like that. Innocent until proven guilty, m'lud?!

Actually probably the most famous case of a player caught ball-tampering involved an Englishman tho; dear old Mickey Atherton and his dirt filled pocket.