• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Official Super Series Squads named

World XI Test squad Graeme Smith (capt), Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid (vc), Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Jacques Kallis, Andrew Flintoff, Shaun Pollock, Mark Boucher, Steve Harmison, Shoaib Akhtar, Muttiah Muralitharan, Daniel Vettori.

World XI ODI squad Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar (vc), Jacques Kallis, Brian Lara, Kevin Pietersen, Herschelle Gibbs, Andrew Flintoff, Shaun Pollock (capt), Kumar Sangakkara, Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Akhtar, Makhaya Ntini, Muttiah Muralitharan, Daniel Vettori.

Those to MISS out are:

Test
Brendon McCullum
Inzamam ul Haq
Makhaya Ntini
Michael Vaughan
Anil Kumble
Younis Khan
Shivnarine Chanderpaul

ODI
Steve Harmison
Rahul Dravid
Brendon McCullum
Inzamam ul Haq
Abdul Razzaq
Chris Gayle

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, with the World XI sides picked I thought it would be good to have one thread to discuss the event, rather than many threads.

Here are the sides:

World XI Test squad Graeme Smith (capt), Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid (vc), Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Jacques Kallis, Andrew Flintoff, Shaun Pollock, Mark Boucher, Steve Harmison, Shoaib Akhtar, Muttiah Muralitharan, Daniel Vettori.

World XI ODI squad Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar (vc), Jacques Kallis, Brian Lara, Kevin Pietersen, Herschelle Gibbs, Andrew Flintoff, Shaun Pollock (capt), Kumar Sangakkara, Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Akhtar, Makhaya Ntini, Muttiah Muralitharan, Daniel Vettori.

And the article...Smith picked to lead World XI

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it will be very close, which gives away the fact that Australia, inspite of their poor form right now, are still better than most other teams in the world.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
No Kumble in the Test side is a mistake. I'd rather Kumble than Vettori. Don't know about Pollock being captain for the ODIs either..

howardj

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Well, with the World XI sides picked I thought it would be good to have one thread to discuss the event, rather than many threads.

Here are the sides:

And the article...Smith picked to lead World XI
Absolutely outstanding selections. Very happy with the selectors.

archie mac

International Coach
Toecrusher said:

Was Cairns available for the ODI squad?

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Those to MISS from the 20 man squads are:

Test
Brendon McCullum
Inzamam ul Haq
Makhaya Ntini
Michael Vaughan
Anil Kumble
Younis Khan
Shivnarine Chanderpaul

ODI
Steve Harmison
Rahul Dravid
Brendon McCullum
Inzamam ul Haq
Abdul Razzaq
Chris Gayle

Shoaib

Banned
honestbharani said:
Sehwag in ODIs and no Kumble in tests are glaring mistakes, IMO.
Muttiah "The Tiger" Muralitharan is a million times better spinner than Kumble,so,there is absolutely no need of a third class spinner like Kumble when you have a genius like Murali in your team.

archie mac

International Coach
Blaze said:
He wasn't even picked in the wider 30 earlier in the year. IMO he would be quite valuable in this series.
Yes the Aussies respect his power, and he always seems to play well against the World champs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shoaib said:
Muttiah "The Tiger" Muralitharan is a million times better spinner than Kumble,so,there is absolutely no need of a third class spinner like Kumble when you have a genius like Murali in your team.
With Flintoff in at 6, I think they can afford to play another spinner. And I would rather be it Kumble than Vettori.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
IMO, Bond and Cairns should have been added for the one-day squad.

Our two most destructive players.

Also the fact that both play extremely well against Australia.. its a shame.

Especially Bondy.. 6 for 23 anyone?

howardj

International Coach
AndrewM said:
IMO, Bond and Cairns should have been added for the one-day squad.

Our two most destructive players.

Also the fact that both play extremely well against Australia.. its a shame.
Fine player that he was, Cairns is somewhat past it, if you ask me.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
These selections really are very good. The unlucky people from the initial squads are Kumble in the tests, and Inzamam and Gayle in the ODIs, but really there's not that much to complain about. Vettori is a handy bowler as support for Murali, and his batting certainly would have helped with his selection as well, as either he or Pollock seem the likely people to miss out from the test side, and whoever makes it would be the ideal number 8. I disagree with picking Sehwag over Gayle in ODIs and Boucher over Sangakkara in tests, but that's about all.

Blaze

Banned
howardj said:
Fine player that he was, Cairns is somewhat past it, if you ask me.

It's hard to tell as he doesn't actually play much cricket these days. I wouldn't say there is conclusive evidence to suggest he is past it though. He wouldn't have made my final XI though.

Bond should be there for the ODI's