• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

howardj

International Coach
Blaze said:
Mark Boucher? Sangakarra would have got my vote.
Old news really - Sangakarra wasn't part of the wider squad of 20, and even though they were able to select outside that squad of 20, it's not realistic for a Keeper to leap-frog the other 2 keepers already selected.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Shoaib said:
Muttiah "The Tiger" Muralitharan is a million times better spinner than Kumble,so,there is absolutely no need of a third class spinner like Kumble when you have a genius like Murali in your team.
A bit of exaggeration there?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shoaib said:
Muttiah "The Tiger" Muralitharan is a million times better spinner than Kumble,so,there is absolutely no need of a third class spinner like Kumble when you have a genius like Murali in your team.
Except the thought is the wicket would support spin and the selection of Flintoff enables a 5 man attack to be picked without compromising the batting too badly.

That would then mean you could play 2 twirlers - and I'd put Kumble ahead of Vettori in that regard.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AndrewM said:
IMO, Bond and Cairns should have been added for the one-day squad.

Our two most destructive players.

Also the fact that both play extremely well against Australia.. its a shame.

Especially Bondy.. 6 for 23 anyone?
It's too early for Bond to be included so soon after an injury.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
will be interesting to see how vettori goes, with bat and ball, personally i reakon that his batting will be better than his bowling.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I can only see a ROW whitewash in the 3 one dayers and the Test ... first series in ages where Australia hasn't been favourites

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
I can only see a ROW whitewash in the 3 one dayers and the Test ... first series in ages where Australia hasn't been favourites
2-1 Australia in the ODIs for me. I think ROW will win the supertest though. Murali in a six day test at Sydney... although Warne will be around as well, and he came up trumps last time they matched up against one another. Should be very interesting.

greg

International Debutant
Has Boucher ever kept wicket to a spinner in his life btw? 8-)

Haven't they got the keepers mixed up in the wrong teams?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I wish I could work out why Gibbs was picked over Inzamam for the ODIs. It's not like Gibbs has had roaring success against Australia, both have been decent, but Inzamam generally better, particularly in the shorter form.

cameeel

International Captain
No Chris Gayle, i would have thought he'd be a good selection, he's a better batsman then Pieterson

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Boucher? Whats up with them bringing in past there prime players? Tendulkar hasn't been playing so why is he in there? Oh right rating.

greg

International Debutant
I have no idea why Boucher is in. Sangakarra is a better keeper and a better batsman. It's not even like Boucher has a good record against australia to compensate.

shaka

International Regular
Gibbs is a better fielder and faster scorer than Inzy was the most likely reasoning for it. Vettori's performance has been the best for any spinner in the last year, hence the decision to put him in, plus he has been very succesful against the Australian lineup.

greg

International Debutant
shaka said:
Gibbs is a better fielder and faster scorer than Inzy was the most likely reasoning for it. Vettori's performance has been the best for any spinner in the last year, hence the decision to put him in, plus he has been very succesful against the Australian lineup.
That's debateable.

Steulen

International Regular
Some observations (too lazy to read the thread, so if it's a bland rehash of things already said...meh)

1) selecting Boucher as a wicket keeper in a Sydney Test with Murali and possibly Vettori as frontline spinners in his team...he will have some interesting sweaty spots near his armpits pretty soon I'd say.
2) With Flintoff and Pollock shoe-ins, I would expect it to be a straight race between Harmison and Akhtar for the final pace spot. I'd prefer Harmison because Akhtar will probably fake an injury to protect his bowling average.
3) Selecting a 13-man squad for just one Test seems a bit much. Pretty tough on the two who will have to sit out.
4) Pollock as ODI captain? Let's hope it doesn't rain then.
5) Not sure about Tendulkar. The one selection where reputation has reigned over current level of performance. But I admit it would have been equally outrageous to leave him out.

shaka

International Regular
They should have considered MacGill for this series, he barely plays any matches for Australia anyways. :D