• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I'm sorry but I just can't take the new 'tough' England seriously

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
I mean, having watched the bunch of wimps they've trotted out in the past for so many years now all this back slapping, team huddling, fired up theatrics, send-offs just looks so contrived to me it makes me laugh.

Vaughan firing his boys up just looks wrong and as for a pumped up Ashley Giles with his wrap around sunnies, I cack myself everytime I see him.

At least skinhead Freddie and Bluey Pietersen look the part but a couple of those other lads look like they should be at one of those pompous old English public schools sipping tea.

I'm prepared to concede that this pommy side is a good one but spare me the tough guy stuff please.

Message to the English cricket side: Stop trying to copy the Aussies. You are pommy cricketers. Leave the tough guy stuff to the tough guys.

Bring on Trent Bridge

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
sqwerty said:
Message to the English cricket side: Stop trying to copy the Aussies. You are pommy cricketers.
So in other words, all your saying is that you want Australia to win? :sleep:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
At least skinhead Freddie and Bluey Pietersen look the part but a couple of those other lads look like they should be at one of those pompous old English public schools sipping tea.
Ever heard of Douglas Jardine? His picture is in the dictionary when it comes to pompous, public school educated tea-sippers, but he was one of, if not the most, toughest, couragous and gutsiest cricketers ever to play the game.

Looks can be deceiving.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
sqwerty said:
I mean, having watched the bunch of wimps they've trotted out in the past for so many years now all this back slapping, team huddling, fired up theatrics, send-offs just looks so contrived to me it makes me laugh.
Two posts, both thread-starters, both quite obvious flame bait (the other one being "Sorry but England can't win the Ashes").

I daresay that you will now disappear for a few more days until your extremely limited mental ability conceives another piece of claptrap with which to educate us.

I look forward to further words of wisdom from you.

Blaze

Banned
luckyeddie said:
Two posts, both thread-starters, both quite obvious flame bait (the other one being "Sorry but England can't win the Ashes").

I daresay that you will now disappear for a few more days until your extremely limited mental ability conceives another piece of claptrap with which to educate us.

I look forward to further words of wisdom from you.

I think he kind of does have a point... in a way. I found the Vaughen and Giles point quite amusing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
I think he kind of does have a point... in a way. I found the Vaughen and Giles point quite amusing.
Of course he sort-of has a point - the best trolls always do, but it's the motivation behind such a post that is the give-away. He won't contribute to any other discussion, because he doesn't appear to have the basic wherewithal or at least the desire to do so. Much prefers starting a questionable thread then standing back to survey his handiwork (come on sqwerty - over to you. Can you discuss things in an intelligent manner or is the next post going to be about Steve Harmison's beard?).

I mean, despite the fact that I give you guys a hard time on occasion, I'm not going to start a "Aussies sing better when they've got their leg-irons on" thread, am I?

(rushes off to start obscure thread about singing, bread and the joys of sailing)

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Wrong Lucky Eddie....I'm back....in my own thread again.
Don't get me wrong here.....I'm just an ordinary Aussie cricket fan who likes to see England get beaten but I also respect their current side as one of the best 2 sides in the world - afterall I'm the only Aussie bloke I know who said this series was going to be close.

Just speakin' it how I see it.

I've played cricket all over the world (well in Aus and England anyway) and England is the only place where I've been bounced then have the bowler run down the wicket and say "sorry batsman".

I guess that's just the way i see English cricket.

Having said that....this Ashes series is the greatest series I've ever seen (including Aus v India when we lost 2-1).

Hard to see the last 2 tests living up to the first 3.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
sqwerty said:
Wrong Lucky Eddie....I'm back....in my own thread again.
Don't get me wrong here.....I'm just an ordinary Aussie cricket fan who likes to see England get beaten but I also respect their current side as one of the best 2 sides in the world.

Just speakin' it how I see it.

I've played cricket all over the world (well in Aus and England) and England is the only place where I've been bounced then have the bowler run down the wicket and say "sorry batsman".

Having said....this Ashes series is the greatest series I've ever seen (including Aus v India when we lost 2-1).

Hard to see the last 2 tests living up to the first 3.
Good man - you've gone up in my estimation a thousand percent.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've played cricket all over the world (well in Aus and England anyway) and England is the only place where I've been bounced then have the bowler run down the wicket and say "sorry batsman".

Again I must point you in the direction of Jardine! He will clear that misconception up for you straight away!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It must be said, Giles is a pretty funny guy to watch on the field, in an unintentional sort of way. He's really quite a big guy, built like a rugby player, with his short-back-n-sides haircut and aforementioned sunnies he projects that same sort of image as well, and then he prances in and bowls the most un-masculine, defensive sort of bowling you could possibly imagine, and refuses to even go around the wicket as a left-armer unless there's a tail ender batting.

Also, the greying hair has the Andy Caddick effect of making him look about 10 years older than he actually is, and you add that to the rest of his behaviour and well, it's quite funny. Not that I have any particular problem with him or anything, I just find him kind of funny.

howardj

International Coach
The thing I find funny about Giles is how he takes everything to heart.

I wonder if he burst into tears when the infamous "King of Spain" mugs came back from the manufacturer!

greg

International Debutant
howardj said:
The thing I find funny about Giles is how he takes everything to heart.

I wonder if he burst into tears when the infamous "King of Spain" mugs came back from the manufacturer!
No it's only Australians who burst into tears

dinu23

International Debutant
what I can understand from this thread is that the Aussies are taken by surprise by this new attitude of the england team. some Aussie fans just cant take it. they're used to seeing Australia bullying other teams. now they're getting some of their own medicine. some are even making fun of the physical appearence of english players. i guess tha's allthey can do. :)

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
To a degree, but either way, vaughn does look like a girl with his skivy-like thermal underwear, and ashley giles , fair dinkum they guy is a bloody wheelie-bin. Does anyone remember the article recently where he was saying the media were hurting him and when they wrote bad things it made him upset, he really is a clever soul.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Demolition Man said:
To a degree, but either way, vaughn does look like a girl with his skivy-like thermal underwear, and ashley giles , fair dinkum they guy is a bloody wheelie-bin. Does anyone remember the article recently where he was saying the media were hurting him and when they wrote bad things it made him upset, he really is a clever soul.
Well he bowled the best he has all series after making those comments...

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Regardless of what the guy who started this thread said, England cannot be critisised, if anything the Aussies needed a kick up the back sides. They had been no.1 to long and seemed to be content with it. England have challenge and other than the missed opportunity in the 3rd test they have been hands down the better side.
Vaughan was under scrutiny before the match but proved many (including me it has to be said) wrong. Giles has shown signs of some form but his bowling in the second innings was lack lustre.
So 'sqwerty' I think you need to put some more solid arguements down before you go out and say this England team is O.K but the Aussies will win, because in reality momentum is with England and so far the Aussies have been out played. Of course everyone expects the Aussies to come back fighting at trent bridge.

Craig

World Traveller
honestbharani said:
Maybe getting sentimental helps him. :)
Then the smart coach/captain would use by telling him before each game that nobody rates, he should be chucked out of the team etc and to go and prove them wrong.