• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best Spinner At the moment

chris.hinton

International Captain
Shane Warne (Australia)
Mutliah Mutherlien (Sri Lanka)
Saqlain Mushtaq (Pakistan)
Harbejan Singh (India)
An Other

This is easy for me Warne is the best, Muterlien Chucks it Mushtaq is Too Defensive and Singh is over-rated

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
If Murli chucks then he should not be in the list. But if he is allowed to play then he should be looked at neutrally, and in that case he is the best by far, will probably becoe the greatest ever.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Murali has been officially cleared by the ICC experts. He is a legitimate bowler and a very impressive one too whatever you think about it. His figures speak for themselves. Warne is way past his best now, has been for a couple of years now. Harbajan is still at the beginning of his career. You chose the wrong moment to say he was overrated. He just picked up an impressive 5 wicket haul in the final test. His 32 wickets in the series against Australia might have been helped by the pitches in India, but if you remember, Warne bowled in the same series on the same pitches and look at his returns. Warne has always failed against India, an acid test for any spinner, and that, in my book, disqualifies him from being the greatest. Harb is an exceptional bowler as acknowledged by experts of the game and has it in him to become one of the best.

Saqlain Mushtaq has always impressed me. Again, he bowled magnificiently against India in India(20 wickets in 2 tests) in their last series. I consider him the best off-spinner in the world after Murali and I don't know whether it is the constant politics in Pak cricket or a loss of form that has seen him excluded from the Pak team recently.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I have to agree with anil on the fact that since Murali has been cleared by the ICC this issue of him chucking shouldn't come up again as Gilchrist found this out the hard way ;).
He HAS to be the world's best at the moment...very acurate, spins the ball along way, and mostly probably is the spinner with the largest number of varieties in the history of the game, i.e. topspinners, wrong 'uns...etc

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
His strike rate is just awesome. No other bowler, spin or pace, past or present comes close. The fact that he is the lone strike bowler in his team helps, but that also becomes an added responsibility and he has been shouldering it magnificiently.