• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI of the new millenium (so far)

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I was looking at most cricketers in the world and noticed that most of the quality sides depended on youngsters making their debut befor the 20th century. i.e in 2000 or later.
Try to make a world XI based on players who made their debuts in both forms of the game in the new millenium. It will take me a while to make this one but post a team whenever.
This my first thread so post something please!

Majin

International Debutant
I don't follow enough of other countries cricket to be able to do this, however I'd assume Strauss and Pietersen would be selections, Graeme Smith? Virender Sehwag? I don't know enough newbie players.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Sehwag made his ODI debut in 1999, Smith, Pietersen and Strauss would qualify as does Clarke of Australia, this is probably the ony world XI which just has one aussie eligible

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Oram and Hamish Marshall of NZ could come in. Kaneria, Sami, Akmal, Hameed are choices. For South Africa you could also have Prince, Langeveldt and Rudolph.

Last edited:

Majin

International Debutant
Hamish Marshall would go in, especially in ODI. What about rookie bowlers? Having serious trouble trying to think of any decent rookies at the moment.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I guess there are enough players now someones gotta make an XI. I wonder who will since it looks like a tough task to choose for me.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
OK - taking just the Test debut, this is my attempt:

V Sehwag
AB de Villiers
+KC Sangakkara
RR Sarwan
*GC Smith
S Katich
KP Pietersen
Danish Kaneria
SP Jones
SJ Harmison
SE Bond

Other candidates: Trescothick, Strauss, Asim Kamal, James Franklin, Shabbir (excluded due to chucking allegations), Hamish Marshall, Oram, Nel, Rudolph, McCullum, Samaraweera, Malinga, Bravo, Lawson, Sarwan, Gayle, Taibu.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Trescothick
Strauss
Sehwag
Smith*
Gayle
Pietersen
Sangakkara+
Bravo
Harmison
Nel
Bond

A bit weird - five openers! :blink: :D

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Samuel_Vimes said:

V Sehwag
AB de Villiers
+KC Sangakkara
RR Sarwan
*GC Smith
S Katich
KP Pietersen
Danish Kaneria
SP Jones
SJ Harmison
SE Bond

Other candidates: Trescothick, Strauss, Asim Kamal, James Franklin, Shabbir (excluded due to chucking allegations), Hamish Marshall, Oram, Nel, Rudolph, McCullum, Samaraweera, Malinga, Bravo, Lawson, Sarwan, Gayle, Taibu.

Good side. I'd have Strauss in for AB but there's not much in it.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
ODIs

ME Trescothick
*GC Smith
RR Sarwan
+KC Sangakkara
MEK Hussey
KP Pietersen
JM Kemp
Rana Naved-ul-Hasan
B Lee
SE Bond
SJ Harmison

Other candidates: John Davison, Kaif, Tuffey, McCullum, Zaheer, Collingwood, Papps, Tuffey, JB Burger, Pathan, Read, Sami, Marshall, Pup Clarke (tough decision, but I need an all-rounder, not a part-timer), Malinga, Strauss, Langeveldt, Lawson, Bradshaw, Ramdin, Taibu, Ervine, Rogers.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
Trescothick
Strauss
Sehwag
Smith*
Gayle
Pietersen
Sangakkara+
Bravo
Harmison
Nel
Bond

A bit weird - five openers! :blink: :D
Smith isn't an opener any more, is he? Hoggy chased him down the order :p

Also not sure on Bravo - surely there has to be a bowler better than him? Could drop one of the batsmen, of course, and make a more England-style team

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:

V Sehwag
AB de Villiers
+KC Sangakkara
RR Sarwan
*GC Smith
S Katich
KP Pietersen
Danish Kaneria
SP Jones
SJ Harmison
SE Bond

Clarke also counts, and seems worthy of mention. :p

Watson and Hogg for ODIs I would think (although I'm not sure why you'd pick the former).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Clarke also counts, and seems worthy of mention. :p

Watson and Hogg for ODIs I would think (although I'm not sure why you'd pick the former).
Oops. I had him in there at one point - then removed him for Marshall and forgot to put him on the list of possibles.

And if the choice is Hogg against Kemp, I'd take the latter even if leaves five pacers.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
Smith isn't an opener any more, is he? Hoggy chased him down the order :p

Also not sure on Bravo - surely there has to be a bowler better than him? Could drop one of the batsmen, of course, and make a more England-style team
I stuck Bravo in because I was very impressed with his bowling last year when WI toured England - he was the only one of the WI bowlers who had the nous to stick to a good line and length when he was getting carted, rather than try and mix it up and end up bowling a combination of half-volleys and long-hops. The slower ball-yorker he got Freddie with when Freddie was on 167 and blazing it all over the place was fantastic.

Call me an idiot, but I can't help thinking that with his batting being pretty solid too, WI might have a genuinely world-class all-rounder on their hands in five years time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. Marcus Trescothick
2. Andrew Strauss
3. Hamish Marshall
4. Graeme Smith*
5. Virender Sehwag
6. Ramnaresh Sarwan
7. Abraham De Villiers+
8. Raymond Price
9. Shane Bond
10. Steve Harmison
11. Andre Nel

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Prince EWS said:
1. Marcus Trescothick
2. Andrew Strauss
3. Hamish Marshall
4. Graeme Smith*
5. Virender Sehwag
6. Ramnaresh Sarwan
7. Abraham De Villiers+
8. Raymond Price
9. Shane Bond
10. Steve Harmison
11. Andre Nel
That side looks pretty good. Now if we were to match it up with stars who are still playing after having made their debuts in the 90s, that would be fun to watch.

Shoaib

Banned
Andrew Strauss
Yasir Hameed
Shoaib Malik
Graeme Smith*
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Virender Sehwag
Brendon McCullum+
Shane Bond
Umar Gul
Steve Harmison
Danish Kaneria

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
After looking at all the XI i reckon this is my choice:
1. A Strauss
2. G Smith (c)
3. H Marshall
4. M Clarke
5. V Sehwag (changed from Gayle who made ODI debut in 1999)
6. K Sangakarra (wk)
7. J Oram
8. S Harmison
9. F Edwards
10. S Bond
11. D Kaneria

Last edited: