• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling Machines - are they worth purchasing?

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
I have been looking at bowling machines in various catalogues and websites, as my cousin has been talking to me about them.

The best one i have found in terms of quality is the BOLA bowling machine. Canterbury has an agent that sells them, which is the closest for New Zealand residents. Cost is my only worry (as a student), but i certainly believe it will help in the long-term as an investment.

Anyone who has used/ purchased a bowling machine could give any advice or thoughts on it and if if is worth the price?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I personaly hate batting against them although that is probably because im such an awful player but i just found is strange and horrible. They are pretty good for practice but i should imagine pretty expensive

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They are as useful as throw-downs from another player and that's about it. If your needs are greater (i.e. need work on picking the wrong-on of a leggie, etc.), then don't bother.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's more productive (in terms of how many balls you face in how long) but prolonged use often gets you into bad habits, where you end up getting so used to it that you rely on your eye, rather than footwork and getting yourself into position, because of the regularity in length, and if it's a "good" ball machine, then the line as well, can allow you to become complacent.

It is a worthwhile investment as a club, my old club purchased a JUGS one (about $4,000, I think) but on an individual basis, not nearly as much. I said it in another thread, learn how to use a lacrosse stick, or just use throwdowns. It's much better when you have some train of thought behind the delivery, as opposed to a machine, IMO.

cricket player

International Debutant
My team has the Bola machine..

Trust it will take to new hights as an batsman so do purchase it if you have money.

btw my captain order it from an english webste.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i dont know the prices for one but at my club Lancashire CC we have one & it think its ok but i for one would rather face a bowler :p

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
its useful to face occasionally, but you have to focus and use it to help your footwork. they are slightly better than throwdowns cause they are quicker and the other person wont get tired ;).

The English team have actually been using a spin one which bowls all variations of spin, that would be interesting to fafce, but i wouldn't buy it ;)

for a club good, for individual, not work the money (unless your super rich :))

deeps

International 12th Man
it's good for when you have identified a weakness in your batting and want to improve it. For example, if you are struggling against the short ball, you can face lots and lots of short balls and become more comfortable with it. LIkewise with full bowling, outside offstump or whatever your problem is.

But it's only worth the $$$ if you are a club... otherwise it'd be alot easier to just hire one, as they cost around 3000 to buy. you can hire then from about 25 bucks an hour.

Before you buy one, make sure you hire one and try it out for a few hours to see wehter YOU will like it and use it

dro87

U19 12th Man
our club bought a bola a couple of years ago... it's pretty usefull considering it bowls upto 80 mph... and in Italy only 2 players could manage 2 bowl at this speed....

King_Ponting

International Regular
yeh bowling machines are good at building up confidence and also help you get your eye in.... I good investment..imo.

howardj

International Coach
I always find that the ball comes onto the bat really quickly, and your shots are hurried. Come to think of it, I find that is the case out in the middle too!

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I hate bowling machines so much ... not much point at all except feeling bat on ball IMO

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
just remember if you buy one that it is not the same type of balls ou use or anything. I would recommend going down and paying the money to hire out a lane 2 times a month at the local indoor school and getting thrown downs every other time.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Based on what people have said so far, i might hire one and give it a go.

It sounds like it could be beneficial every now and then, so cheers everyone for the advice. :)

Yonton

Cricket Spectator
Improve your mechanical response to any delivery

Hi, we have the New Zealand agency for the Kanon Premier Ball machine and we're finding them extremely popular for private homes in the rural community.

Because you can use the Kanon for fielding practice as well as batting is exceptionally versatile but better still, it holds up to 90 balls without the need for expensive attachments and has a remote control to start/stop the ball feed.

So we find that young fellas in the rural community don't always have people around to throw down to them and it's often a long way to get into the nets. With a Kanon you can run your own batting and fielding drills.

Set the machine up for whatever shot you want to work on, then just keep playing it repetitively until you achieve the auto-mechanical response to master the shot.

Definitely worth considering a Kanon if you're thinking about a bowling machine. Good value too! :D

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Many a good time's been had with the bowling machine at my CC after a few beers late on a summer's eve.

It can be fired upwards and well across the oval....