• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling Machines - are they worth purchasing?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Our club has one and it's helpful, but a pain in the arse to set up every time.

I've recently bought a side arm which is food for practice with the kids and doesn't **** your back setting it up.

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
My team once used the Adelaide Oval indoor nets with bowling machines that used cricket balls that resembled big yellow golf balls. Prodigious late swing both ways with no way to tell which way it was going, it was the most fun i've ever had in the nets, and it could send it down at a rate of knots. I think a team owning one would have a mighty helpful piece of kit so long as you don't have some twit buggering about when operating it.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I have played against bowling machines quite a bit..what i can say is it helps in 3 things

1) After a long lay-off batting cage is a good place to have some hits using the "B m/c"
2) Try having the bowling machine closer let us say 18 or 16yards instead of 22 yards..this really helps in getting the timing right, helps in the quick movement of your feet and arm..
3) I know bowling machines are ok at replicating swing,spin etc but try the bouncer as this helps in watching the ball closely as you know if you miss it you will get hit so you tend to be sharp..

This way you cover 3 main aspects hand movement, footwork and getting your eye in...

Also if you can buy it is great..but you can rent as well..rental fee is usually like this
1) Separate fee for Batting cage
2) Bowling m/c with or without operator the fee varies
3) Weekends or Fri little more expensive than weekdays(minus Fri)..

Anyways Happy Batting ...as they say Smash Them :)

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
They're pretty damn good things to use. Whether it's worth purchasing one or not is more dependant on your finical situation at the moment IMO. They'll definitely help your cricket game, but it won't help your bank balance.

As Burgey pointed out a sidearm might be a more worthwhile purchase, at about a 100th of the price.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
I have been looking at bowling machines in various catalogues and websites, as my cousin has been talking to me about them.

The best one i have found in terms of quality is the BOLA bowling machine. Canterbury has an agent that sells them, which is the closest for New Zealand residents. Cost is my only worry (as a student), but i certainly believe it will help in the long-term as an investment.

Anyone who has used/ purchased a bowling machine could give any advice or thoughts on it and if if is worth the price?
Purchase a bowling machine if
- you are practicing in an environment where it's just you and a couple of other folks who can't bowl.
OR
- it'll only be used for 20-30% of your batting practice

I practiced against a bowling machine for a while and it messed up my trigger movement. My mistake was that I stopped practicing against real bowlers,

Get a few of these : Reaction Balls
Asks someone to give you throw downs with it everyday for 15 mins, you'll be good enough to bat against any type of bowling! Reaction balls move in any direction after pitching, sometimes they skid and at times slow down, and there will be this odd occasion when they'll just go straight on. Helped me improve my defence. Again, this was only a small part of my training.

It's your pick, if you can afford it and really need it, go for a bowling machine. But don't let it be your main option for batting practice, mix it up.

Last edited: