• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harmison v Akhtar, Trescothick v Sehwag

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Who do you guys think is the better fast bowler out of Harmison and Akhtar and
the better opener out of Trescothick and Sehwag ?

:D

deeps

International 12th Man
akhtar just... Purely coz he's been doing it for longer..harmison has had a gd last 2 years, but hasn't done too much against aus

Sehwag over Trescothick convincingly

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib is better than Harmison, at least right now. Harmison is too inconsistent to compare to Shoaib, who, despite his poor attitude, is consistently a dangerous bowler.

Sehwag is obviously much better than Trescothick.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I look forward to seeing Shoaib playing proper cricket again - let's hope that his South African holiday has whetted his appetite for the game again.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
RE: the first one. At the moment, I'd take Harmison, simply because when I weigh up the benefits and the costs of selecting him as opposed to Akthar, the chances of Profit for the whole team - not just the performance of the two players concerned - is higher, IMO, with Harmison.

The second one, well... :laugh: :lol: :laugh:

Trescothick.

8-)

greg

International Debutant
Trescothick is the best first slipper in world cricket. Both Harmison and Aktar would want him in the team :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
Trescothick is the best first slipper in world cricket. Both Harmison and Aktar would want him in the team :D
Eh? Stephen Fleming? Rahul Dravid? Shane Warne? Hell, Andrew Flintoff is a better slip fielder than Marcus Trescothick.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
Flintoff? Trescothic is definitely the best slipper in the English team
I disagree. Flintoff is one of the best slippers in the world actually, right up there with anyone else you would care to name. Trescothick is more in the Jayawardene/Langer sort of group.

cameeel

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I disagree. Flintoff is one of the best slippers in the world actually, right up there with anyone else you would care to name. Trescothick is more in the Jayawardene/Langer sort of group.
Solid yet unspectacular?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Yeah, the Sehwag vs Trescothic duel is hardly worth bothering with. Harmison vs Akhtar's a bit harder, though. I realise that, as vic said, Akhtar carries some unwanted baggage, but I think that's a bit of a two-way street in the Pakistan side. Nevertheless, it's a reality that has to be dealt with, I guess.

I have a lot of time for The Shoaib, so I'll go with him at this point, but it's very possible Harmison could leap in front by the conclusion of the series.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
Solid yet unspectacular?
Well yeah, and inclined to drop one every now and then. Guys like Dravid, Fleming etc don't really ever drop them, or if they do it's once in a blue moon.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Sehwag v Trescothick match-up is a no-brainer.

(sees who started the thread, thinks that previous statement is quite apt).

It's closer between Harmison and Shoaib, but I think that S W-H has still got a fair bit of ground to make up.