• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest opening pair

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From what I've seen in my life, Langer and Hayden at their best (I'd say 2001 or so) were simply awesome.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
andyc said:
From what I've seen in my life, Langer and Hayden at their best (I'd say 2001 or so) were simply awesome.
Me too, but I haven't been around that long

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
My exact same choices, although I have a soft spot for Boycott and Edrich too.
haven't seen edrich play...by the time i started watching cricket, it was boycott and tavare, boycott and gooch etc etc.....when you look at stats, edrich's stats certainly look quite impressive, but didn't he bat 1st down and 2nd down as well, i mean he seems to have been more of a top-order batsman than a pure opener....

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
andyc said:
Agreed, at that stage I believe they had the best average of an opening pair ever, did they not ??

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Demolition Man said:
Agreed, at that stage I believe they had the best average of an opening pair ever, did they not ??
Second best, after Hobbs and Sutcliffe. Really, Hobbs and Sutcliffe are comparable to Bradman as an opening pair. Their average together is 87 or so, and it unlikely to ever be surpassed. Everyone else is fighting for second place.

Pothas

well individualy both did it didnt they? Have too say Sutcliffe and Hobbs for tests though as sutcliffe averaged around 60 i think and Hobbs was voted one of the 5 cricketers of the century.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
As far as opening pairs in the past decade or so go, and if you discount Hayden and Langer as they were so far ahead of everyone else, Trescothick and Vaughan were pretty damn good for a while.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
As far as opening pairs in the past decade or so go, and if you discount Hayden and Langer as they were so far ahead of everyone else, Trescothick and
Vaughan were pretty damn good for a while.
Yep. Consider these stats, though:

Code:
MP Vaughan & ME Trescothick (Eng) 28 52 3 2386 48.69 5 15
AJ Strauss & ME Trescothick (Eng) 17 32 1 1693 52.91 6  6
Certainly suggests England don't need to worry about the opening position any time soon. :happy:

Pothas

No Strauss and Trescothick are quicky taking over from Langer and Hayden as the best opening parntership in the world

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yep. Consider these stats, though:

Code:
MP Vaughan & ME Trescothick (Eng) 28 52 3 2386 48.69 5 15
AJ Strauss & ME Trescothick (Eng) 17 32 1 1693 52.91 6  6
Certainly suggests England don't need to worry about the opening position any time soon. :happy:
Wow - didn't know the current boys were quite that successful. Exciting times for English cricket indeed. :D