Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trent Bridge & Oval

Trent Bridge & Oval

What have the pitches been like this year. I know the Oval is pretty flat......but how has TB been this season?

I know when SA played there a couple of years ago it was a nightmare pitch from day 3......extremly variable bounce......James Kirtly got 6 for.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Naveed
    What have the pitches been like this year. I know the Oval is pretty flat......but how has TB been this season?

I know when SA played there a couple of years ago it was a nightmare pitch from day 3......extremly variable bounce......James Kirtly got 6 for.
    I heard Deano on the radio say that he thought TB would be the best batting wicket in the series.
    You know it makes sense.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I heard Deano on the radio say that he thought TB would be the best batting wicket in the series.
    Deano actually said it was traditionally the best batting wicket in England and "everyone knows it". That, as far as I'm concerned, is crap, since The Oval has a much bigger reputation for being flat.

I'd take his comments with a pinch of salt.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

I expect the Aussies to come back with a vengeance and take the next 2 tests 2-0 !!

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    I expect the Aussies to come back with a vengeance and take the next 2 tests 2-0 !!
    That wouldn't be a surprise, a fit McGrath/Clarke bodes well for 'em. That said, the series is so unpredictable that I am giving up calling it now.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

The way Flintoff and Jones are reversing it no pith can be called flat....the same with Warne you cant call any pitch flat as long as he is bowling.

Reverse swing will win England the series. It is pretty hard to coach a team to bat against reverse swing in the middle of the series. I will be surprised if the pitches are anything other than dry and hard to get reverse swing.

The Aussies are talking of getting a plan against RS....but RS is not something like conventional swing which fades away after 10 overs.......it was reversing it from 20th to the 80th over at OT. So it would mean a completly new gameplan not just a minor adjustment....you just can't do it in the middle of a series.......it is like asking right handers to bat lefthanded.

OTOH Trent Bridge was pretty reasonable for the batters when NZ toured last year.

As for the Oval, all I will add is that Harmison's best home performances in 2003 & 2004 were at the Oval. Here's hoping ....

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    OTOH Trent Bridge was pretty reasonable for the batters when NZ toured last year.

As for the Oval, all I will add is that Harmison's best home performances in 2003 & 2004 were at the Oval. Here's hoping ....
    Mark Nicholas was saying in his Telegraph column on Wednesday that some of the England players are yet to hit form, and mentioned how worried the Aussies might be that they will - he ended the passage with "Imagine if Steve Harmison were to hit his straps at Trent Bridge. The Aussies might trade more reverse swing for that."

There's no denying Harmison hasn't been on top form so far - if he does get there at some point over the next two Tests, and by that I mean extreme bounce, searing pace, and 5/6/7-wicket hauls, the Aussies will be really in trouble.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    There's no denying Harmison hasn't been on top form so far - if he does get there at some point over the next two Tests, and by that I mean extreme bounce, searing pace, and 5/6/7-wicket hauls, the Aussies will be really in trouble.
    its not form really. its hard to deny that harmison has bowled any differently in these last 2 test matches than he did in that 1st test at Lords. the difference being that at Lords he had the conditions to his favor, while in the next 2 he didnt. if harmison were to get uneven bounce/ seam movement in any of the next 2 tests, i have no doubt that he'll be quite a force for australia to play against.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!

nobody knows what to expect from TB to be honest. the pitch last year started flat and then took turn towards the end as ashley giles took 4/46. the pitch before that was an absolute disaster of a wicket that offered plenty of uneven bounce on which even a bowler as rubbish as james kirtley took 6/34. the one in 2002 was a flat batting wicket that offered nothing for the bowlers. and the one in the ashes series in 2001 was a seamers paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    its not form really. its hard to deny that harmison has bowled any differently in these last 2 test matches than he did in that 1st test at Lords. the difference being that at Lords he had the conditions to his favor, while in the next 2 he didnt. if harmison were to get uneven bounce/ seam movement in any of the next 2 tests, i have no doubt that he'll be quite a force for australia to play against.
    Yeah that's true actually. I'm being a little harsh in saying he was out of form. A quick, bouncy pitch at Trent Bridge should make for a great Test match - especially if Tait plays (which IMHO is fairly likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Yeah that's true actually. I'm being a little harsh in saying he (Harmison) was out of form. A quick, bouncy pitch at Trent Bridge should make for a great Test match - especially if Tait plays (which IMHO is fairly likely).
    And yet, Lee has had some highly effective spells in the last 2 tests. I know he's not identical to Harmison, but it shows what an out & out quick could do if he put the ball in the right areas.

I think Nicholas is probably right about Harmison. If he can find his radar, England will have something they've missed at Edgbaston & OT. The other positive I'd suggest is that Hoggard bowled some decent stuff in the 2nd innings at OT, so maybe he's belatedly finding some form.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    And yet, Lee has had some highly effective spells in the last 2 tests. I know he's not identical to Harmison, but it shows what an out & out quick could do if he put the ball in the right areas.

I think Nicholas is probably right about Harmison. If he can find his radar, England will have something they've missed at Edgbaston & OT. The other positive I'd suggest is that Hoggard bowled some decent stuff in the 2nd innings at OT, so maybe he's belatedly finding some form.
    Agree re: Hoggard - he was probably worse than I've ever seen him for the first five innings of this series, bowled some absolute tripe and couldn't swing it at all.

The next Test could be very interesting indeed - we could have FIVE bowlers capable of reaching 90mph plus playing in the same game! Last time that must have happened was probably WI v Aus in the 80s sometime......

well looking at what kind of pitches they had last season, the Oval pitch had plenty of bounce for the WI test match & the TB pitch vs NZ had something their for both bowlers & batsmen could have played their shots without much fuss.

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Not sure how reliable it is but i've heard that Trent Bridge will be a pretty good bowling wicket with a fair amount of swing.

Looking at some of the totals this season it looks like Trent Bridge has flatten out a fair bit though with some bigish scores, well it can't be any worse than last summer when Kent beat Notts inside two days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information