• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are your Super Series sqauds?

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Since the final 14 man test and ODI squads are going to be named on August 22, I thought that this will be a good time to start a discussion on likely final squads. Here is the full list of 20 probables for each, although players outside these lists (eg Shane Bond, Simon Jones) can be added if selectors decide.

Test Probables
Andrew Flintoff
Steve Harmison
Rahul Dravid
Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Brendon McCullum
Daniel Vettori
Shoaib Akhtar
Inzamam ul Haq
Jacques Kallis
Makhaya Ntini
Shaun Pollock
Muttiah Muralitharan
Brian Lara
Michael Vaughan
Anil Kumble
Younis Khan
Mark Boucher
Graeme Smith
Shivnarine Chanderpaul

ODI
Andrew Flintoff
Steve Harmison
Rahul Dravid
Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Brendon McCullum
Daniel Vettori
Shoaib Akhtar
Inzamam ul Haq
Jacques Kallis
Makhaya Ntini
Shaun Pollock
Muttiah Muralitharan
Brian Lara
Kevin Pietersen
Shahid Afridi
Abdul Razzaq
Herschelle Gibbs
Kumar Sangakkara
Chris Gayle

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Personally, I think this side should be picked for the test.

Sehwag
Smith/Strauss/Vaughan/Kallis
Dravid
Lara
Sachin
Flintoff
Boucher
Murali
Shoaib
Harmison
Pollock/Kumble/Vettori

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
Personally, I think this side should be picked for the test.

Sehwag
Smith/Strauss/Vaughan/Kallis
Dravid
Lara
Sachin
Flintoff
Boucher
Murali
Shoaib
Harmison
Pollock/Kumble/Vettori
I'd agree with that, except have Sangakarra (who the selectors in all their wisdom have overlooked) replace Boucher, and Kumble as the definite last bowlers - considering the Test will be at the SCG.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dasa said:
I'd agree with that, except have Sangakarra (who the selectors in all their wisdom have overlooked) replace Boucher, and Kumble as the definite last bowlers - considering the Test will be at the SCG.
I want Sangakkara too. I said that in the other thread. I would be glad if they picked him over Boucher, but it doesn't seem that way, not after what Atherton has seemed to have suggested to aussie. He posted it in the other thread "Doesn't the super series idea look a little pointless now?".

Barney Rubble

International Coach
My Test side would be:

Sehwag
Vaughan (capt)
Dravid
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Flintoff
Sangakkara (wk)
Pollock
Harmison
Murali

and the ODI side:

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Dravid
Lara
Pietersen
Flintoff
Afridi
Sangakkara
Pollock
Murali
Ntini

greg

International Debutant
Does anyone really think the English, especially Harmison, are going to want to play in this?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
greg said:
Does anyone really think the English, especially Harmison, are going to want to play in this?
Yes - especially if we win the Ashes. Another chance to beat the Aussies will be exactly what Freddie wants, anyway, and Harmison will be too chuffed at being selected to worry about homesickness. It's only one Test anyway, not a Tour. Vaughan would love the opportunity to captain the side I'd assume - if he played, he'd certainly skipper the team. Seeing as it's pretty much a straight choice between him and Smith for the second opener's berth, whichever one of them plays will captain the side.

greg

International Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
Yes - especially if we win the Ashes. Another chance to beat the Aussies will be exactly what Freddie wants, anyway, and Harmison will be too chuffed at being selected to worry about homesickness. It's only one Test anyway, not a Tour. Vaughan would love the opportunity to captain the side I'd assume - if he played, he'd certainly skipper the team. Seeing as it's pretty much a straight choice between him and Smith for the second opener's berth, whichever one of them plays will captain the side.
It may sound trite but I don't think that simply "beating the Aussies" is what motivates most of our guys. It's about winning FOR England. I would certainly be very surprised to see Harmison and Flintoff bowling with anything like the intensity and emotion that they had at the end of the last two tests (although in Harmison's case it may make him bowl better 8-) )

Toecrusher

Since they're playing in Sydney and its a 6 day test match, I think they've gotta have two spinners

Test
Sehwag
Vaughan (capt)
Kallis
Lara
Tendulkar
Flintoff
Sangakkara (wk)
Kumble
Akhtar
Harmison
Murali

Subs: Bond, Dravid, Vettori

Dravid aint a certainty in my book cos with the exception of that one Kolkata innings, everytime he's faced Australia with Mcgrath and Warne he's totally chickened out and looks **** scared. Pollock is just too slow to cause the Aussies any problems in a Test match - he's the typical trundler that they would feast on. Akhtar has always said he'd do much better if he had a better bowling attack backing him up, so here's his chance to prove it,

ODI side
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Pietersen
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Razzaq
Murali
Bond
Harmison

Subs: Afridi, Gayle, Pollock

Beleg

International Regular
ODI:

Gibbs
Sehwag
Lara
Tendulkar
Inzamam
Flintoff
Sangakara
Pollock
Bond
Muralitharan
Akhtar

(the bowling attack is really, really lame compared to what It could have been 5-6 years ago)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Toecrusher said:
Since they're playing in Sydney and its a 6 day test match, I think they've gotta have two spinners

Test
Sehwag
Vaughan (capt)
Kallis
Lara
Tendulkar
Flintoff
Sangakkara (wk)
Kumble
Akhtar
Harmison
Murali

Dravid aint a certainty in my book cos with the exception of that one Kolkata innings, everytime he's faced Australia with Mcgrath and Warne he's totally chickened out and looks **** scared. Pollock is just too slow to cause the Aussies any problems in a Test match - he's the typical trundler that they would feast on. Akhtar has always said he'd do much better if he had a better bowling attack backing him up, so here's his chance to prove it,

ODI side
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Pietersen
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Razzaq
Murali
Bond
Harmison

1. I must say i kinda agree with your point on Pollock that maybe he may be a bit too slow the really trouble Australia & if Australia have to face Harmison/Pollock & Freddie they could cause some problems, but since its SCG which isn't a quick pitch i reckon Pollock will play in front of Harmy also you must note Harmy could be unwilling to play because of Homesickeness.

2. I dont think Vaughan will open at all let alone skipper, Smith will surely open with Sehwag & i reckon Lara will skippers both sides.

3. Even though Dravid may not have made a lot of runs againts Pigeon & Warne Kallis hasn't either plus Dravid is better batsman in most areas than Kallis & i cant see Dravid not playing, but Kallis could well & play if Tendulkar isn't back

4. With regards to the ODI side Pietersen wont play come Dravid has to be in their plus Inzi is a better ODI batsman than Kallis IMO so i would play him in front of Kallis & Akhtar definately will play ahead of Harmy in the ODI's.

5. I wont have Gayle has a back-up for Tendulakr i would pick smith.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Toecrusher said:

Test
Sehwag
Vaughan (capt)
Kallis
Lara
Tendulkar
Flintoff
Sangakkara (wk)
Kumble
Akhtar
Harmison
Murali

ODI side
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Pietersen
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Razzaq
Murali
Bond
Harmison

I don't think Kallis has covered himself with glory against them either.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
I don't think Kallis has covered himself with glory against them either.
And I believe a certain Dravid innings in Adelaide has been forgotten, too?

Last edited:

Natman20

International Debutant
TEST
Sehwag
Vaughan
Dravid
Lara
Tendulkar
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Murali
Vettori
Harmison
Ntini

ODI
Sehwag
Afridi
Tendulkar
Lara
Dravid
Flintoff
McCullum
Vettori
Murali
Akhtar
Ntini

A bit strange but I think it would be quite a good combo

Toecrusher

vic_orthdox said:
And I believe a certain Dravid innings in Adelaide has been forgotten, too?
That innings was against a bowling attack of Gillespie, Bichel, MacGill and Bracken

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
TEST (can't be bothered doing ODI)
Sehwag
Smith
Kallis
Lara
Tendulkar
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Sangakarra
Harbhajan
Shoaib
Harmison
Muralitharan

Picked Harbhajan as he always troubles the Australians. Sangakarra should definitely be the keeper IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My team hasn't changed from when I put it up earlier - and Tendulkar doesn't make it in the 11 because I don't see how he can replace any of the middle order of Dravid, Lara, Kallis.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Toecrusher said:
That innings was against a bowling attack of Gillespie, Bichel, MacGill and Bracken
You can only make runs against who the opposition put against you, and IIRC that was made when the side was in a lil bit of trouble. No, not as much as they were in the famous 2nd Test of 2001, but they looked in strife nonetheless.