• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are your Super Series sqauds?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
i dont understand how people would pick Pietersen in the ODI sqaud & leave out Dravid?????
Dravid, while a good ODI player, doesn't really warrant a world XI spot in my opinion. Pietersen's been a revelation so far in ODIs, and I can certainly see the argument for including him, particularly with some success against Australia in both forms.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
aussie said:
i dont understand how people would pick Pietersen in the ODI sqaud & leave out Dravid?????

My choice was mainly based on strike rate, But very good batsmen. But Pietersen can just tick it over abit quicker, he also has the ability to just explode, while dravid is more of a nerdler and with the caliber of the other batsmen you don't really need him. While an e player like Pietersen is a luxuary this team can afford.

howardj

International Coach
From the players already chosen in the squad, my World Test XI would be

Vaughan
Sehwag
Dravid
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis/Kumble
Flintoff
Boucher
Murali
Harmison
Akhtar

12th Man: Kallis/Kumble (depending on the pitch - no guarantee that the SCG, in mid-October, will turn.)

13: Pollock
14: McCullum

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
ODI's are played under the new rules right?

who do you reckon could be 12th man, personally i think Afridi would be a decent 12th man but he's not in the squads so meh

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
ODI's are played under the new rules right?

who do you reckon could be 12th man, personally i think Afridi would be a decent 12th man but he's not in the squads so meh
isn't he???

godofcricket

State 12th Man
World XI: (tests)

1: Virender Sehwag
2: Greame Smith
3: Brian Lara
4: Sachin Tendulkar
5: Rahul Dravid
6: Andrew Flintoff
7: Mark Boucher
8: Shaun Pollock
9: Shoaib Akhtar
10:Steve Harmison
11:Muttiah Murlitharan

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
Of Course...his test record is so ordinary isn't it 8-)
Yes it is actually.

56 wickets @ 20.80 in 12 games is about as misleading as they come:

3 - 289 vs Australia
11 - 150 vs Bangladesh
12 - 216 vs WI
12 - 196 vs India in the farcical wicket series
5 - 194 vs SL
13 - 120 vs Zimbabwe.

6 games give him 20 @ 34.95 - then his other 6 games against the minnows and on ridiculous pitches provide 36 wickets @ 12.94...

howardj

International Coach
Anyone know when the final squads get announced?

I thought it was this morning (Australian time).

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Yes it is actually.

56 wickets @ 20.80 in 12 games is about as misleading as they come:

3 - 289 vs Australia
11 - 150 vs Bangladesh
12 - 216 vs WI
12 - 196 vs India in the farcical wicket series
5 - 194 vs SL
13 - 120 vs Zimbabwe.

6 games give him 20 @ 34.95 - then his other 6 games against the minnows and on ridiculous pitches provide 36 wickets @ 12.94...
The only bad result above was the games against Australia, and those were his first 2 games in Test cricket. Anybody's statistics can be skewed that way to get bloated averages (like you've picked his six worst matches). He's got wickets against the opposition he's been presented with, and thats all you can ask for.

In any case, there cant be any argument about his performance against Aussie in ODIs - 22 wickets at 10.45 with one 4 wicket bag and two 5 wicket bags in 6 matches is pretty amazing. Heck, even Ricky Ponting's admitted that he's Bond's bunny!! His ODI average is 19 overall btw, so I reckon he shoulda been in the ODI team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I was only ever talking about his Test average, and if you actually look beyond the total number, it is not that great a record.

C_C

International Captain
My super series squad:

Graeme Smith
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar(if fit, else Jacques Kallis)
Brian Lara
Kumar Sangakkara (wkt)
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock
Shoaib Akhtar/Steve Harmison
Anil Kumble
Muttiah Muralitharan